The Student Room Group

No place at any sixth form

I have received 7A*'s 3A,s 1B 1C.I got rejected from 2 grammar schools and 5 private schools on a bursary.I worked so hard for nothing the only thing that kept me going when I was struggling was the prospect of going to a grammar school.I feel like I put all this work for nothing I could have been reading,playing chess,learning another language or watching Netflix instead.I don't want to go to a rubbish sixth I did not wake up at 5am to study for nothing.But it feels like it was for nothing.
Your results are incredible!! Well done! Why on earth did they reject you? (what did you want to study & what did you need to study it)
Original post by Ruby1997
Your results are incredible!! Well done! Why on earth did they reject you? (what did you want to study & what did you need to study it)

I wanted to do Biology,chemistry,maths and English literature.I need a's minimum to study them.I wanted to do medicine in the future.Should I take a year out and self teach myself?I don't know why they rejected me my twin received 10A*'s 1A 1C.She got both the grammar school offers.
Hi, congratulations on your results. The best thing to do is to call up the best sixth forms in your area and ask them if there is any space left. Look at league boards. With your grades, they will surely take you on.
Why can't you just go to college. It's not about where you did your A Levels but the grades you get in them that determine your university. You've suggested that you could self-teach which clearly suggests that where you do your A Levels doesn't matter a lot.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I wanted to do Biology,chemistry,maths and English literature.I need a's minimum to study them.I wanted to do medicine in the future.Should I take a year out and self teach myself?I don't know why they rejected me my twin received 10A*'s 1A 1C.She got both the grammar school offers.

Your results are just as great as your twins though! Definitley ring in case there has been a mistake, because I can't think of any reason that they'd all reject you. I got in to grammar sixth with A's & B's - a lot worse than you!
I wouldn't recommend self teaching if you want to do medicine & are studying such difficult a levels. English in particular, is quite coursework heavy and having teachers to help with it is majorly beneficial. Additionally you won't be able to master the English exam technique if you self teach - j know at my school I was set an essay almost every day to be marked - the feedback really helped.
Original post by Ruby1997
Your results are just as great as your twins though! Definitley ring in case there has been a mistake, because I can't think of any reason that they'd all reject you. I got in to grammar sixth with A's & B's - a lot worse than you!
I wouldn't recommend self teaching if you want to do medicine & are studying such difficult a levels. English in particular, is quite coursework heavy and having teachers to help with it is majorly beneficial. Additionally you won't be able to master the English exam technique if you self teach - j know at my school I was set an essay almost every day to be marked - the feedback really helped.

I will call them just once more they aren't picking up.One of them won't return my emails.I will do it just once more.I am willing to give up English lit to be honest.The most important thing for me was to feel happy at the environment.I felt very unhappy at secondary school and primary school.I felt like my ambition and determination was not much appreciated and no one shared my interest or determination.
Original post by wonderuss
Why can't you just go to college. It's not about where you did your A Levels but the grades you get in them that determine your university. You've suggested that you could self-teach which clearly suggests that where you do your A Levels doesn't matter a lot.

Because I am tired of being so unhappy I hated every moment of secondary school the only lessons I enjoyed was English lit.I found that the teaching quality for the sciences and maths was so crap I self-taught myself all science and maths.My school never helped me with anything they never praised me and they never seen how hard I tried.If it was up to me I would have no turned up for most lessons but I only went because my mum always told me to go.The people were so unambitious I found the environment so depressing.
Original post by Cherry82
Hi, congratulations on your results. The best thing to do is to call up the best sixth forms in your area and ask them if there is any space left. Look at league boards. With your grades, they will surely take you on.

I thought so too but they don't see it that way.I feel like no one ever wants to give me a chance no one wants to help me realise my potential nor do they think I have any.
Because I am tired of being so unhappy I hated every moment of secondary school the only lessons I enjoyed was English lit.I found that the teaching quality for the sciences and maths was so crap I self-taught myself all science and maths.My school never helped me with anything they never praised me and they never seen how hard I tried.If it was up to me I would have no turned up for most lessons but I only went because my mum always told me to go.The people were so unambitious I found the environment so depressing.

How do you know you'll feel the same if you go to college?

How do you know you won't feel the same if you went to a grammar school?
Your grades clearly suggest you have potential. Just smash your A Levels wherever you do them and get into a great uni.
There are many great sixth forms with really good teachers out there. They do not need to be grammar schools or private schools.
How do you know you'll feel the same if you go to college?

How do you know you won't feel the same if you went to a grammar school?

I can only stay at my current school it is the best school in the borough it is outstanding but I was so unhappy.
Your grades clearly suggest you have potential. Just smash your A Levels wherever you do them and get into a great uni.

I just feel so disheartened all my life all I ever hear is of how I am not good enough how many more rejections?I am just frustrated now all I ever hear is how not good enough I am even at my comprehensive I was always band 2 even if I was best in the class they would never want to move me to band 1.I don't want to stay at my comprehensive school even if it is outstanding the only thing outstanding about it is its looks (modern) and its humanities department.
I just feel so disheartened all my life all I ever hear is of how I am not good enough how many more rejections?I am just frustrated now all I ever hear is how not good enough I am even at my comprehensive I was always band 2 even if I was best in the class they would never want to move me to band 1.I don't want to stay at my comprehensive school even if it is outstanding the only thing outstanding about it is its looks (modern) and its humanities department.

If your current school is rated as outstanding it's unlikely that the schools you applied to would have been massively different and you should still be capable of getting outstanding A levels at your current school.

To be honest you sound like your unhappiness isn't really connected to the status of the school - is there anyone you can talk to about this?
Original post by sindyscape62
If your current school is rated as outstanding it's unlikely that the schools you applied to would have been massively different and you should still be capable of getting outstanding A levels at your current school.

To be honest you sound like your unhappiness isn't really connected to the status of the school - is there anyone you can talk to about this?

Not really I just feel really upset by this whole situation I work so hard I put in the hours I go to school every single day even during bouts of anxiety.I absolutely hate going to school the only reason I go is the prospect of me going to medical school if I persist my studies.One reason I don't want to go to my comprehensive is because I hate it how I felt there no one ever spoke to me.The teachers never praised and no one was very nice.Everyone thinks I am weird because I want to be a gastroenterologist and no one appreciates me for what I am.Everyone always picked on me because I was the only girl to choose to wear a very long skirt 5 cm after knee as I don't want to show my knees to anyone.I was so happy when it all finished I always told myself I just need to do my GCSE's and then I can leave one day this pain will end and it does not seem to be true.I could have gotten all A's why did I work so hard?

I just wanted to show them all who I am and how badly I was wronged.I was so badly hurt when my ambition was not appreciated and everyone always put me down for it even some of my teachers e.g. they would make unkind comments when I asked more questions or be unwilling to help or challenge me.

Quick Reply

Latest