Writing a personal statement for a course you haven't previously studied Watch

loboharibo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
At A level, I am studying Maths, Physics and Accounting (so no creative subjects). I really wanted to apply to do graphic design as it's been a passion of mine for a long time but with choosing these subjects at A level I feel as though I've restricted myself to one route. My focus this past year has been on pretty much just maths so I have very little evidence in the art and design field. I was just hoping to get advice on whether it's a good idea to apply for a foundation course and also what to include in my personal statement and/or what I can do to gain experience in this subject.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by loboharibo)
At A level, I am studying Maths, Physics and Accounting (so no creative subjects). I really wanted to apply to do graphic design as it's been a passion of mine for a long time but with choosing these subjects at A level I feel as though I've restricted myself to one route. My focus this past year has been on pretty much just maths so I have very little evidence in the art and design field. I was just hoping to get advice on whether it's a good idea to apply for a foundation course and also what to include in my personal statement and/or what I can do to gain experience in this subject.
I think if you're struggling with what to write you're likely to find it impossible to provide a portfolio of artwork. The portfolio is the thing that will normally decide whether you get an offer or not for creative subjects.

If you don't have anything then you need to devote your spare time to building your portfolio. That should then give you things to write about (visiting galleries for inspiration, reading GD blogs, and developing your creative style and skills).

If you don't have any creative subjects at the moment then you might find it a better idea to apply for art and design foundation diploma courses at your local colleges. Taking an extra year to build your portfolio and your skills will help you be confident that this is the right career for you.

Throughout a GD career it's your portfolio that will get you a job. Courses/degrees are the normal route to develop your portfolio and to learn new skills but you'll be carrying on that development through your entire career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads