Opinions/thoughts on BPP university Watch

jafox22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am looking to do my post graduate studies at the BPP university in Waterloo but have only just come across this university and wanted to know people's opinions on the university and whether or not it is a good choice to study the law masters there for someone with a criminology degree ?
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't study for an LLM there in a million years - and I say that as someone who did an LLB there and found it reasonably satisfactory. There's no point doing a postgraduate academic course at a university with no reputation for research and none of the programme tutors listed on their website (so far as I can see).

What exactly are you hoping to get out of your LLM and what are your future career plans?
jafox22
Rep:
?
I have just graduated from Portsmouth university with a 2:1 in Criminology and criminal justice and am now wanting to get into law. I originally thought of studying the GDL however I could not get student funding for it and am now considering doing a masters in law to then be able to do the LPC to train to become a solicitor. A masters would also allow for the student finance of up to £10,000. I would like to try and get into a university at the end of September/beginning of October.
Forum User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jafox22)
I have just graduated from Portsmouth university with a 2:1 in Criminology and criminal justice and am now wanting to get into law. I originally thought of studying the GDL however I could not get student funding for it and am now considering doing a masters in law to then be able to do the LPC to train to become a solicitor. A masters would also allow for the student finance of up to £10,000. I would like to try and get into a university at the end of September/beginning of October.
Which LLM programme were you looking at studying?

The ordinary LLM that BPP offer wouldn't qualify you to take the LPC. From what I understand, the LLM (Law Conversion) is basically a GDL with a dissertation added on solely so that students are able to obtain finance for the course.

If you were talking about the LLM (Law Conversion) course then what I said in my earlier post is inaccurate. You have to study the GDL somewhere and BPP is as good as anywhere else that offers it.
jafox22
Rep:
?
I was looking at studying the LLM (conversion) just to get the student finance.

If I were to study just the LLM at another university would that not be the correct postgraduate degree to do as I would not be able to study the LPC afterwards?

I have just looked online at Middlesex university to study the LLM/PGDip/PGCert Law (General) does this mean I would not be able to complete the LPC after?
Forum User
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, you need to do either a qualifying law degree or the GDL in order to then do the LPC.

The vast majority of LLMs will not qualify you to do the LPC. The LLM (conversion) does qualify you because it is just the GDL in disguise, plus a dissertation. The Middlesex programme (assuming I've found the right one) will not entitle you to do an LPC.
jafox22
Rep:
?
oh okay that's so annoying! Is there any other universities that do the LLM (conversion) course in London or close by? I live in west London but can only see the BBP university doing the course
adryyas
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello! Currently i am in the same situation as you, coming from a non law background and wanting to become a solicitor and get into the LPC, but i would need the GDL(which cannot be funded) so i was looking into the LLM Law conversion at BPP what do you think of it did u do it?
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Forum User)
I wouldn't study for an LLM there in a million years - and I say that as someone who did an LLB there and found it reasonably satisfactory. There's no point doing a postgraduate academic course at a university with no reputation for research and none of the programme tutors listed on their website (so far as I can see).

What exactly are you hoping to get out of your LLM and what are your future career plans?
Wow. By virtue of the style and quality of your posts I always thought you were from Cambridge. Interesting.
(Original post by jafox22)
Do what you need to do and then look at Hong Kong and Asia because that's where the money is. Many of the firms in London have offices all over the world. The problem is that many British graduates are unwilling to relocate that's why the London legal market is saturated.
Forum User
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
Wow. By virtue of the style and quality of your posts I always thought you were from Cambridge. Interesting.
I did Maths (unspectacularly) at Cambridge 20 years ago. I did an LLB at BPP because I wanted to do a second degree rather than the GDL and they let me do it notionally "part-time" but still finish relatively quickly (unlike Birkbeck where, at least at the time, the part-time degree took 6 years to complete).
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Forum User)
I did Maths (unspectacularly) at Cambridge 20 years ago. I did an LLB at BPP because I wanted to do a second degree rather than the GDL and they let me do it notionally "part-time" but still finish relatively quickly (unlike Birkbeck where, at least at the time, the part-time degree took 6 years to complete).
The story is we mustn't judge someone by the uni they attended, especially when they leave with the highest first!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads