The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Mathematics: 6993/01 - 19 Jun 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Hi everyone! I don't know if there already is a chat like this but if not then I thought it might be useful to make one for people taking the exam in 2018. Hopefully this will be useful if people have questions about the course or things like that. Nearer the exams maybe we can all say what we think we got then our results??
Enjoy!

Scroll to see replies

Which exam board is this? I took the OCR one this last June, so if anyone has any questions, AMA :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Treblebee
Which exam board is this? I took the OCR one this last June, so if anyone has any questions, AMA :smile:

Yeah it's the OCR one I mean. I should probably change the title although I think OCR is the only one that does FSMQ. Anyway how was your exam??
Original post by Almonti372
Yeah it's the OCR one I mean. I should probably change the title although I think OCR is the only one that does FSMQ. Anyway how was your exam??

It was ok, but I must warn you, also very difficult. I certainly didn't manage to finish the paper in time, making it quite possibly the hardest exam I've ever taken (with the possible exception of Latin Literature)... The textbook is good, but I'd recommend going over it as you go until you know it all thoroughly... my problem was that I finished the textbook by Christmas, and then went slack for several months, meaning that I had to spend the weeks leading up to the exam madly going through the book again! So pace yourself.
But on the brighter side, it was probably also the most fun exam I've taken (again, if you don't count UKMT stuff) - the challenge gave it spice, and it was very rewarding to solve the questions. The OCR textbook I used (I assume you probably have the same one) had 14 topics; in the exam, there was one question per topic, so don't expect too many gimme questions!
The basic advice I'd give, and the advice my dad (who is a mathematician) always gives, is to understand everything so thoroughly that you could answer any question on the topic quickly, knowing automatically what to do. And the best way to do this is practice. Maths is one of the few subjects in which you don't need to memorise tonnes of info, but you do need to make the most of the questions in the textbook (and past paper questions) to practice... if you're doing this with a teacher, then ask them for as many questions as they can get hold of on the topics - that's how you ace it :smile:

Anyway, have fun! If you enjoy maths (and I'm assuming you do), then you'll probably love the course, and it will give you a massive head-start when it comes to A-level maths, as you'll basically know everything in the first year!
Reply 4
Original post by Treblebee
It was ok, but I must warn you, also very difficult. I certainly didn't manage to finish the paper in time, making it quite possibly the hardest exam I've ever taken (with the possible exception of Latin Literature)... The textbook is good, but I'd recommend going over it as you go until you know it all thoroughly... my problem was that I finished the textbook by Christmas, and then went slack for several months, meaning that I had to spend the weeks leading up to the exam madly going through the book again! So pace yourself.
But on the brighter side, it was probably also the most fun exam I've taken (again, if you don't count UKMT stuff) - the challenge gave it spice, and it was very rewarding to solve the questions. The OCR textbook I used (I assume you probably have the same one) had 14 topics; in the exam, there was one question per topic, so don't expect too many gimme questions!
The basic advice I'd give, and the advice my dad (who is a mathematician) always gives, is to understand everything so thoroughly that you could answer any question on the topic quickly, knowing automatically what to do. And the best way to do this is practice. Maths is one of the few subjects in which you don't need to memorise tonnes of info, but you do need to make the most of the questions in the textbook (and past paper questions) to practice... if you're doing this with a teacher, then ask them for as many questions as they can get hold of on the topics - that's how you ace it :smile:

Anyway, have fun! If you enjoy maths (and I'm assuming you do), then you'll probably love the course, and it will give you a massive head-start when it comes to A-level maths, as you'll basically know everything in the first year!

Thanks so much! Yeah I have found some parts challenging to start with but really rewarding to answer the questions once I've grasped the topic, which usually doesn't take too long. Thanks for the advice! Yeah I do really like maths, especially the UKMT challenges! :smile: I've done some extra questions over the summer so hopefully next year will go well!
Thanks again!
We seem to have 2 duplicate threads, so I'll move my post over here and close off the other thread!
Hey year 11s!
Good luck with your exams! I'm year 12 now but I got an A in additional maths last year so I'm on hand if you have any questions etc. I really enjoyed the course and from a few lessons of maths and further maths A level I can already see it put me in good stead for A levels so even if it does seem a little difficult at times if you want to take maths further, persevere and it will help in the future :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
We seem to have 2 duplicate threads, so I'll move my post over here and close off the other thread!
Hey year 11s!
Good luck with your exams! I'm year 12 now but I got an A in additional maths last year so I'm on hand if you have any questions etc. I really enjoyed the course and from a few lessons of maths and further maths A level I can already see it put me in good stead for A levels so even if it does seem a little difficult at times if you want to take maths further, persevere and it will help in the future :smile:

Thog don't care
Reply 7
is the exam date for additional maths OCR board for this year the 19th June 2018???
as i am to write my exam dates down and the internet is not being very helpful
Original post by Hansyw1
is the exam date for additional maths OCR board for this year the 19th June 2018???

I'm pretty sure it is.
To confirm, go to the OCR website and look under exam timetables. It won't be on the same one as the GCSE one, but instead will either be under FSMQ.... Etc. or something like A levels, AS levels and other level 3 qualifications
Then scroll down and find it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Hansyw1

Yeah it is:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Almonti372
Hi everyone! I don't know if there already is a chat like this but if not then I thought it might be useful to make one for people taking the exam in 2018. Hopefully this will be useful if people have questions about the course or things like that. Nearer the exams maybe we can all say what we think we got then our results??
Enjoy!

Hi Students of Addiitonal Maths. Please note that the text book and book of exercises currently available do NOT match the current specification which has changed for the 2018 exam. Therefore do not rely on the Add Maths text books for exam prep. There are new items in the 2018 spec which will not be in the old book, and stuff in the old book which now appears in the GCSE, and so won't be on ther Additional Maths paper. Past papers are of slightly limited use for the same reason.
Reply 11
Original post by 2zeki
Hi Students of Addiitonal Maths. Please note that the text book and book of exercises currently available do NOT match the current specification which has changed for the 2018 exam. Therefore do not rely on the Add Maths text books for exam prep. There are new items in the 2018 spec which will not be in the old book, and stuff in the old book which now appears in the GCSE, and so won't be on ther Additional Maths paper. Past papers are of slightly limited use for the same reason.

Whaaaat?! How can they tell us this so late, I swear the exam's in June:frown:
Original post by dsidi
Whaaaat?! How can they tell us this so late, I swear the exam's in June:frown:

I think that user is a little confused, it's not changing for this year, but instead for next year!
Original post by 2zeki

Hey there,
I think you may have got slightly confused. As confirmed on the OCR website the specification is changing in time for teaching from September 2018, or exams in 2019. Hence the students on this thread are not taking the new specification :smile:
You can see on the new specification, page 21, where it says the exams will be available from May/June 2019: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/457916-specification-from-2018-.pdf :smile:
(Note for those on the thread, this is NOT your specification so don't use it for revision purposes. Your specification can be found here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/76669-specification.pdf)
Reply 13
Original post by Lemur14
I think that user is a little confused, it's not changing for this year, but instead for next year!

Hey there,
I think you may have got slightly confused. As confirmed on the OCR website the specification is changing in time for teaching from September 2018, or exams in 2019. Hence the students on this thread are not taking the new specification :smile:
You can see on the new specification, page 21, where it says the exams will be available from May/June 2019: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/457916-specification-from-2018-.pdf :smile:
(Note for those on the thread, this is NOT your specification so don't use it for revision purposes. Your specification can be found here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/76669-specification.pdf)

Phew thanks x
Original post by dsidi
Phew thanks x

No worries :smile:
GOt my add maths mock tomorrow :P
I’m taking this course!!! Been wanting to find a thread on it ahah. I can’t believe the FSMQ exam is so late after all my others 😩 all my friends will be partying and I’ll be studying ahhhh
Original post by Angel_Chen
GOt my add maths mock tomorrow :P

Good luck! We never did a mock (mainly because we only started the course in December so mocks were over before we got there), but I got a D when we'd covered most the course and I did myself a mock in April and I came out with an A so even if you don't get what you want now, there's definitely hope for later :smile:
we've finished everthing maths related.
Reply 19
I am indebted to my fellow contributors for the correction, and send my apologies for any inconvenience or undue concern caused.

Quick Reply