The Student Room Group

Help - need accommodation fast at Nottingham Trent

Can anyone advise?
Son got verbal offer via clearance to Trent on 17th August and applied for accommodation at Clifton (New Hall) on same day.
The auto system allocated him some accommodation and it said he had to log in to accept it. He tried to but it told him he need his student ref number (sorry don't know the correct term), but he didn't yet have it, so he called uni back. They said don't worry it will all be sorted.
He got the student number very late on 18th August, and so went online on 19th to complete his application, only to find the offer of accommodation had been withdrawn. He called accommodation and they said he had to start the process again. He applied again, still within the deadline for guaranteed place. It said you will hear back in three days - we waited, and heard nothing. He called, and they said don't worry, he would hear back by the end of the day - again we heard nothing. We have since had the bank holiday weekend and were unable to contact anyone. Called this morning (Tuesday) and were told that all spaces have gone.
As a parent I feel that the system has failed us, since even my sons second application was within the time frame whereby guaranteed accommodation should have bee offered - yet he received no offer. We have been told to look for accommodation privately in the city centre and he will have to either walk the one and a half hour journey or catch a bus (or two) backwards and forwards each day.
Can anyone suggest either a way to try and get the accommodations folks to sort out something for him, since he applied in the correct timeframe and/or suggest somewhere akin to student accommodation (ie. ensuite with kitchenette type thing as opposed to a dodgy room in someones house) where other Trent students will be staying?
My son has only just turned 18 and is not very streetwise and could have really used the cushion that approved accommodation on campus would have provided.
Original post by Frazzled mum
Can anyone advise?
Son got verbal offer via clearance to Trent on 17th August and applied for accommodation at Clifton (New Hall) on same day.
The auto system allocated him some accommodation and it said he had to log in to accept it. He tried to but it told him he need his student ref number (sorry don't know the correct term), but he didn't yet have it, so he called uni back. They said don't worry it will all be sorted.
He got the student number very late on 18th August, and so went online on 19th to complete his application, only to find the offer of accommodation had been withdrawn. He called accommodation and they said he had to start the process again. He applied again, still within the deadline for guaranteed place. It said you will hear back in three days - we waited, and heard nothing. He called, and they said don't worry, he would hear back by the end of the day - again we heard nothing. We have since had the bank holiday weekend and were unable to contact anyone. Called this morning (Tuesday) and were told that all spaces have gone.
As a parent I feel that the system has failed us, since even my sons second application was within the time frame whereby guaranteed accommodation should have bee offered - yet he received no offer. We have been told to look for accommodation privately in the city centre and he will have to either walk the one and a half hour journey or catch a bus (or two) backwards and forwards each day.
Can anyone suggest either a way to try and get the accommodations folks to sort out something for him, since he applied in the correct timeframe and/or suggest somewhere akin to student accommodation (ie. ensuite with kitchenette type thing as opposed to a dodgy room in someones house) where other Trent students will be staying?
My son has only just turned 18 and is not very streetwise and could have really used the cushion that approved accommodation on campus would have provided.

There's been a bit of trouble with Trent accommodation this year in that a lot of students had booked accommodation and then when it was revealed that the cladding on the Byron building (only on 3 blocks though) wasn't sufficient and needed to be replaced, a lot of students had to be moved. As I'm sure you understand, that left a lot less places. Especially considering accommodation booking was open from March. NTU is very close to the centre, so it shouldn't be a 90 minute walk. I hear it's more like 10 minutes. There's plenty of private halls accommodation including Trinity Halls, Glasshouse, Russell View, Goldsmith, Nova etc etc. Try looking here for an idea of his options: http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/studentaccommodation_lphs_Nottingham.asp
Reply 2
I have a studio available in Clifton New Hall looking to swap for an ensuite in Clifton
Original post by Dukey98
I have a studio available in Clifton New Hall looking to swap for an ensuite in Clifton

Thanks Dukey98 - however, after a few telephone conversations, we were offered a studio also (51 weeks, when we wanted 44 so an extra £1700 or so quid - but at least we have something now). We too will be looking for a swap (for a studio 44 wk).
Original post by chelseadagg3r
There's been a bit of trouble with Trent accommodation this year in that a lot of students had booked accommodation and then when it was revealed that the cladding on the Byron building (only on 3 blocks though) wasn't sufficient and needed to be replaced, a lot of students had to be moved. As I'm sure you understand, that left a lot less places. Especially considering accommodation booking was open from March. NTU is very close to the centre, so it shouldn't be a 90 minute walk. I hear it's more like 10 minutes. There's plenty of private halls accommodation including Trinity Halls, Glasshouse, Russell View, Goldsmith, Nova etc etc. Try looking here for an idea of his options: http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/studentaccommodation_lphs_Nottingham.asp

NTUs Clifton Campus is different from the city campus and is 6 miles away from Nottingham City Centre...
Original post by jelly1000
NTUs Clifton Campus is different from the city campus and is 6 miles away from Nottingham City Centre...
- yes,exactly why we didn't want city centre accommodation - unless he has super powers unknown to me, I doubt my son could walk it in ten mins as someone suggested :wink:

Anyway, as I said, luckily we are sorted now, albeit at a hell of a lot more money that we intended to pay !

Luckily its all sorted now as we have been given accommodation on campus (Clifton) - but as someone else said, its six miles from the city centre, so not a ten minute walk
Original post by jelly1000

Original post by Frazzled mum
- yes,exactly why we didn't want city centre accommodation - unless he has super powers unknown to me, I doubt my son could walk it in ten mins as someone suggested :wink:

Anyway, as I said, luckily we are sorted now, albeit at a hell of a lot more money that we intended to pay !

I didnt see anytging about studying at Clifton, my bad :tongue: I am aware, but there is loads of accommodation in the city and the uni has very regular busses between those sites. Many Clifton students live in the city. It's not too long on the uni bus either
Reply 8
I haven't got my accomodation yet. I'm still looking:frown: everywhere is too expensive (£7k +)
Reply 9
I didnt see anytging about studying at Clifton, my bad :tongue: I am aware, but there is loads of accommodation in the city and the uni has very regular busses between those sites. Many Clifton students live in the city. It's not too long on the uni bus either

Are there any spaces left in the city centre ? I've been trying to find accommodation
Original post by debzz.ie
Are there any spaces left in the city centre ? I've been trying to find accommodation

there was as of recently, but you'd have to look around and ask to see if there is anything left this late
Reply 11
Hi folks, my son's flat now has space for one more person due to someone dropping out, located Colville Street, NG1 4HG, arranged through Oak Student Letts the flat is on their website £89 p/w, they won't release the keys to us until this room is taken!! Michelle
Original post by Jaysmom
Hi folks, my son's flat now has space for one more person due to someone dropping out, located Colville Street, NG1 4HG, arranged through Oak Student Letts the flat is on their website £89 p/w, they won't release the keys to us until this room is taken!! Michelle

How many bathrooms are there?
Reply 13
Two bathrooms 👍

Quick Reply

Latest