The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lisadl76
The postgraduate loan is on Stirling University page...did you ask what your score was? The lady i spoke to at Stirling said last year most ended up getting the bursary so don't panic just yet x

I got 13 they said it was very unlikely I would get the bursary 😰 I'll have a look to see what I can get.
Hi I'm just starting at cali uni next week. I was the same as yourselves and was waiting to get bursary nomination right up until a few weeks ago so sit tight and hope for the best. Maybe see how many people there is infront of you for the nomination? I was the next one to get it so that did help. Hope you get something sorted
How did anyone find out what they scored? Do you just phone up? Looking to get a bursary for this year!
Reply 23
I phoned the uni to get my Stage 2 task score and was told I got 19/20. I'm still not guaranteed a bursary nomination. Will find out in August.
Original post by HeatherJF
Hi guys!

Unsure if anyone has been in a similar situation with any advice! I've just had an email to say I didn't get my SSSC social work bursary, can anyone recommend any other places I can get funding?

Thanks
Heather

Hi,

Can you follow up with what has happened since? I’m waiting to find out what my score is this year for Jan 2020 entry. What were the reasons you didn’t get this bursary? What are you going to do? I know your post was a year ago, but if you do still have an account, let me know. I’d be interested to hear the outcome.
Reply 25
It's straightforward, to get a bursary nomination from Stirling uni you need a high score on the Stage Two Task. I was lucky, I managed to get 19 out of 20. A score of 13 or 14 will get you a place on the course but not a bursary nomination. Strathclyde university look for a score between 17 and 20 on their task, however they may now have changed that.
Reply 26
By the way, SAAS don't offer any funding for MSc Social Work students.
Original post by CJOB77
It's straightforward, to get a bursary nomination from Stirling uni you need a high score on the Stage Two Task. I was lucky, I managed to get 19 out of 20. A score of 13 or 14 will get you a place on the course but not a bursary nomination. Strathclyde university look for a score between 17 and 20 on their task, however they may now have changed that.

Well done with your score. You said you got 19/20 but were still not guaranteed a bursary nomination. What do you mean by this? Surely when you found out your score though this must have put your mind at rest a fair bit?

I’ve been accepted on to this course already and it’s not even June yet (I.e they’re still taking applications but have already decided mine must have met a satisfactory criteria already) which was about a month ago. That’s three months before they close the application window. I’m taking this as a positive just now, but I still don’t know my score which I hope to find out next week 🤔

Surely if I have been given a place already before the application window even closes then I must have scored highly? Failing this then I’ll have to get my dad to sell his house and give me £11,000 for tuition fees 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 28
What I meant by not guaranteed was that staff said they were 99% sure I'd be nominated but I was less confident than that because I knew I was in competition with other high scorers.

I was nominated and I was awarded the SSSC Bursary, fees and living allowance. However, due to my personal circumstances in January I couldn't take my place. I returned my award. I recently applied to another university (not saying which) for the MSc in Social Work, as things have yet again changed for me. I applied on a Monday and was offered a place on the Thursday. I guess they liked my application.

Well done on getting your place. Phone the social work department at Stirling and ask what your score was on the task. I reckon if you get a minimum of 17 then you're in with a chance of a bursary nomination but that's just my opinion.
Original post by CJOB77
What I meant by not guaranteed was that staff said they were 99% sure I'd be nominated but I was less confident than that because I knew I was in competition with other high scorers.

I was nominated and I was awarded the SSSC Bursary, fees and living allowance. However, due to my personal circumstances in January I couldn't take my place. I returned my award. I recently applied to another university (not saying which) for the MSc in Social Work, as things have yet again changed for me. I applied on a Monday and was offered a place on the Thursday. I guess they liked my application.

Well done on getting your place. Phone the social work department at Stirling and ask what your score was on the task. I reckon if you get a minimum of 17 then you're in with a chance of a bursary nomination but that's just my opinion.

Looks like I might be funding the course myself - I scored 15/20
Original post by CJOB77

Also - how do you know that 13/14 out of 20 wouldn’t get you a bursary? 14/20 is a 70% pass. Most people in university don’t achieve this. Most people would be lucky to score 65/68%

I scored 15/20 which is 75%, so you’re saying you need to score 18/20 or something (90%) to even have a chance? Surely most people DONT get 19/20 like you? I’m assuming by the law of averages, 13, 14, 15, 16 will be the average. One or two standard deviations below or above this such as 10/11 or 18/19 will likely just be a couple of people.

I think the vast majority such as myself who scored the median would probably still get funding right?
Reply 31
15 might be good enough, I don't know for sure. Strathclyde university usually look for a minimum score of 17 out of 20. I wish you well, maybe this time you'll be nominated.
Original post by CJOB77
15 might be good enough, I don't know for sure. Strathclyde university usually look for a minimum score of 17 out of 20. I wish you well, maybe this time you'll be nominated.

I phoned the department at Stirling.

They basically said nominations are made on the basis of high scores are served first, and they work their way down the list until a point comes where there are no more bursaries left to nominate (which could be 15/20 in my case depending on how many people are above me in the list). If there are only 4 above me in the list this year, I could be nominated; if there are 24, then maybe not.

Other than that, the student finance department do offer a payment plan for students on this course, thankfully. This means if I make a reasonably sized down payment at the start, I can split the fees monthly. It’s just lucky they offer this and don’t want the full fees upfront. I’ll just have to work and study, but it can be done. I done it in my undergraduate and managed to get a 1, so here’s hoping we can do this again.

Latest