The Student Room Group

Children should pledge allegiance to the UK at the start of school

I believe it is time to bring us all together by which we are united under an overarching sense of being British. By that Britain should adopt the approach done in US schools where children perform a pledge of allegiance to their flag.

I would like to see all schools in the UK fly the Union Jack as well as the St George/Saltire/Welsh flag for each respective part of the UK.

In addition, classrooms, cafeterias, PE and assembly halls should also have a union jack and portrait of Queen Elizabeth II at the front of the room. Every morning at the start of school all pupils should make a pledge of allegiance with their hand on their heart while facing the flag and portrait that goes:

"I, swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the second, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God. I will give my loyalty to England/Scotland/Wales and the United Kingdom. I will respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen in our glorious union of nations. Rule Britannia."

There could be some exceptions like schools in Northern Ireland due to the sectarianism and maybe Scottish catholic schools but at the same time this is done to bring all cultures together to remind us all that we are all British citizens no matter you colour, sex, faith or sexual orientation so I would probably have Scottish catholic schools follow suit, maybe just have ones in Glasgow exempted.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScottishBrexitor
I believe it is time to bring us all together by which we are united under an overarching sense of being British. By that Britain should adopt the approach done in US schools where children perform a pledge of allegiance to their flag.

I would like to see all schools in the UK fly the Union Jack as well as the St George/Saltire/Welsh flag for each respective part of the UK.

In addition, classrooms, cafeterias, PE and assembly halls should also have a union jack and portrait of Queen Elizabeth II at the front of the room. Every morning at the start of school all pupils should make a pledge of allegiance:

"I, swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the second, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God. I will give my loyalty to England/Scotland/Wales and the United Kingdom. I will respect its rights and freedoms. I will uphold its democratic values. I will observe its laws faithfully and fulfil my duties and obligations as a British citizen in our glorious union of nations. Rule Britannia."

There could be some exceptions like schools in Northern Ireland due to the sectarianism and maybe Scottish catholic schools but at the same time this is done to bring all cultures together to remind us all that we are all British citizens no matter you colour, sex, faith or sexual orientation so I would probably have Scottish catholic schools follow suit, maybe just have ones in Glasgow exempted.

This has so many issues;

1- What if you're not a royalist?
2- What if you live where you live by circumstance- and have no loyalty per se to an area?
3- What if you'd prefer to be a European citizen over a British citizen?
4- What if you identify as Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish over British?

There's not actually very much about Britain as a whole that could define a culture. There's not a great deal in many British things to take pride in.

I'd say that being a sceptical citizen makes you a better citizen than a flag waving 'Proud to Be British- no matter what!' citizen as you can't progress if you don't think critically and carefully.
That would probably be seen as racist and exclusive of immigrants. People would argue that they shouldn't be expected to do that if they don't wish.

The UK is the PC country, don't you know?
Original post by Friffinghell
This has so many issues;

2- What if you live where you live by circumstance- and have no loyalty per se to an area?

There's not actually very much about Britain as a whole that could define a culture. There's not a great deal in many British things to take pride in.

I'd say that being a sceptical citizen makes you a better citizen than a flag waving 'Proud to Be British- no matter what!' citizen as you can't progress if you don't think critically and carefully.

By virtue of being a society Britain has a culture. England has a culture, Scotland has a culture, NI has a culture, Wales has a culture - where are you getting this idea that Britain lacks any kind of culture?

You, personally, may not think that Britain has anything to take pride in, but there are many people across the British Isles that do take pride in where they are from and the union between the home nations.
(edited 6 years ago)
'So help me God'
It's an incredibly un-British thing to do.
Reply 6
No.
Original post by friffinghell

prefer to be a european citizen over a british citizen?

yasssss

Original post by friffinghell

i'd say that being a sceptical citizen makes you a better citizen than a flag waving 'proud to be british- no matter what!' citizen as you can't progress if you don't think critically and carefully.

yass yass yaasssss
Reply 8

See:
I will uphold its democratic values.
(edited 6 years ago)
I find this kind of thing distinctly unsettling, including when they do it in America! In general, I have an issue with enforced patriotism - it's scary.

Where does the proposed oath say you can't be sceptical or cynical?
Hahahaha, no thanks.
I wouldnt mind singing the national anthem at the end of the week in an assembly or something along the lines of that
This has so many issues;

1. You should still respect the British institution of the Monarchy, just like how non-catholics at catholics respect prayers in the morning and masses.
2. Everyone in the UK lives in the UK and lives in one of four home nations.
4. Which is why you say "I will give my loyalty to England/Scotland/Wales and the United Kingdom." It is good you

Original post by hannxm
That would probably be seen as racist and exclusive of immigrants. People would argue that they shouldn't be expected to do that if they don't wish.

The UK is the PC country, don't you know?

The silly PC crowd don't realise this would unite all cultures living in the UK to unite behind the union jack and their respective home nation of the UK. The US started this for that very reason to that all citizens knew that they were an American.

Original post by Cubone-r
By virtue of being a society Britain has a culture. England has a culture, Scotland has a culture, NI has a culture, Wales has a culture - where are you getting this idea that Britain lacks any kind of culture?

You, personally, may not think that Britain has anything to take pride in, but there are many people across the British Isles that do take pride in where they are from and the union between the home nations.

Well said.

Original post by XOR_
'So help me God'

?

Original post by Trinculo
It's an incredibly un-British thing to do.

It's in fact an incredibly British thing to do.

Original post by Drewski
No.

How about yes.

Original post by StevetheIcecube
I find this kind of thing distinctly unsettling, including when they do it in America! In general, I have an issue with enforced patriotism - it's scary.

Don't be silly.

Original post by AperfectBalance
I wouldnt mind singing the national anthem at the end of the week in an assembly or something along the lines of that

Good point, I would support schools singing the UK national anthem and each respective home nation singing their own national anthem, should be encouraged in schools.
Original post by Cubone-r

Sorry, you missed my point. Scotland has culture, Ireland has culture, Wales has culture, England has culture. There isn't one uniting culture that can be defined as British.

Thus Britain as an entity lacks a defining culture.
Original post by Drewski
Where does the proposed oath say you can't be sceptical or cynical?

I can't think of one organisation or culture which enforces oath taking and yet also welcomes free speech against it's government/royal family/police state.
Growing up we always stood for the national anthem and the pledge..this is the case in Canada and the USA.

Wait..schools in the UK don't have their national flag(s) outside? Damn I never noticed this. You will see a US flag or Canadian flag outside of schools in North America, EVERY school even religious schools (Khalsa school)
(edited 6 years ago)
NO.
1. You should still respect the British institution of the Monarchy, just like how non-catholics at catholics respect prayers in the morning and masses.
2. Everyone in the UK lives in the UK and lives in one of four home nations.
4. Which is why you say "I will give my loyalty to England/Scotland/Wales and the United Kingdom." It is good you

The silly PC crowd don't realise this would unite all cultures living in the UK to unite behind the union jack and their respective home nation of the UK. The US started this for that very reason to that all citizens knew that they were an American.

Well said.

?

It's in fact an incredibly British thing to do.

How about yes.

Don't be silly.

Good point, I would support schools singing the UK national anthem and each respective home nation singing their own national anthem, should be encouraged in schools.

Just curious - what's silly about being wary of this kind of thing?
I can't think of one organisation or culture which enforces oath taking and yet also welcomes free speech against it's government/royal family/police state.

Depends how you define oath taking.

Every member of the armed forces makes an oath when they join, the attestation is similar to what OP's written.
You're encouraged to talk up when things are wrong.
Same in the police.

Every company you ever work for will (should, at least) ask you to sign a contract. That's an oath of sorts. They'd also encourage you to engage in open and honest debate about what that place does.

While I disagree with OP's idea - because it's stupid - there's nothing inherently wrong with an oath.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending