EmilySarah00
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Bit of a random question but has anyone done FP4 as a module in Further Maths and if so how did they find it?

I feel like everyone's doing FP2+3 and I've never come across someone doing FP4 so I just want to feel not alone in this one.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EmilySarah00)
Bit of a random question but has anyone done FP4 as a module in Further Maths and if so how did they find it?

I feel like everyone's doing FP2+3 and I've never come across someone doing FP4 so I just want to feel not alone in this one.
AQA are the only board that offer FP4. It consists of the matrix and vector content that is scattered thoughout the other FP units for Edexcel and OCR, plus a bit more. I would say that it is easier than AQAs FP2 and FP3, and it is often taught in the first year of an AQA Further Maths course if all of the first year units have been used up.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
AQA are the only board that offer FP4. It consists of the matrix and vector content that is scattered thoughout the other FP units for Edexcel and OCR, plus a bit more. I would say that it is easier than AQAs FP2 and FP3, and it is often taught in the first year of an AQA Further Maths course if all of the first year units have been used up.
Ah okay we're doing it in the second year along with M2 and D2, that makes sense now as to why it isn't talked about.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah okay we're doing it in the second year along with M2 and D2, that makes sense now as to why it isn't talked about.
In my school, the regular A level includes M1 (first year) and S1 (second year), so for further maths, we do FP1 and D1 in the first year - and all of the first year options have now been used up, so the final unit will have to be something from the second year. FP4 seems like the best bet, and it can be done with very little second year knowledge, whereas FP2 and FP3 need pretty much all of the calculus from C3 and C4.
Physics Enemy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Yes, I've done it. I found it pretty interesting but not too bad, I scored lower in it than the others tho (95 in FP1, 100s in FP2 & FP3, 85 in FP4).

It mostly builds on FP1 imo, with a few other things thrown in. I'd recommend it.

I don't think much of it is in other boards' FP1-FP3, quite distinct in that regard. Good luck!
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
In my school, the regular A level includes M1 (first year) and S1 (second year), so for further maths, we do FP1 and D1 in the first year - and all of the first year options have now been used up, so the final unit will have to be something from the second year. FP4 seems like the best bet, and it can be done with very little second year knowledge, whereas FP2 and FP3 need pretty much all of the calculus from C3 and C4.
Ah, we did S1 in the first year in the regular A Level and therefore did S2 in further maths as the final unit alongside FP1 and D1. AQA however have swapped my units around anyway to give me the highest possible UMS in my regular maths AS, the way they work the modules it a little confusing sometimes.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, we did S1 in the first year in the regular A Level and therefore did S2 in further maths as the final unit alongside FP1 and D1. AQA however have swapped my units around anyway to give me the highest possible UMS in my regular maths AS, the way they work the modules it a little confusing sometimes.
Don't worry, they will reshuffle them again at the end of the second year to give you the best possible result there!

Interesting that you did S2 - but that is a second year unit as well, of course.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Physics Enemy)
Yes, I've done it. I found it pretty interesting but not too bad, I scored lower in it than the others tho (95 in FP1, 100s in FP2 & FP3, 85 in FP4).

It mostly builds on FP1 imo, with a few other things thrown in. I'd recommend it.

I don't think much of it is in other boards' FP1-FP3, quite distinct in that regard. Good luck!
I never liked Matrix Transformations in FP1 so I'm slightly scared of FP4 not gonna lie, I'm only going for an A in Further Maths though because I've just accepted I'll never get an A* (especially with how badly S2 went, I got 84 UMS haha)

Nice one on your UMS scores though sounds like you did great!
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
Don't worry, they will reshuffle them again at the end of the second year to give you the best possible result there!

Interesting that you did S2 - but that is a second year unit as well, of course.
S2 didn't go so well though (84 UMS) so kind of jeopardised my A* chances for Further Maths, I'm not exactly sure how the A* works in further but I'm pretty sure S2 contributes. I'll be happy with an A though (as long as I make the A* in regular maths because if I don't I might cry)

Gosh I never anticipated A-Levels being this stressful haha, I was so naive!
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
S2 didn't go so well though (84 UMS) so kind of jeopardised my A* chances for Further Maths, I'm not exactly sure how the A* works in further but I'm pretty sure S2 contributes. I'll be happy with an A though (as long as I make the A* in regular maths because if I don't I might cry)
For an A* in further, you need an A overall and an average of at least 90% in the best three A2 units that count towards further. You're going to be doing more than 3 A2 units for further, I think, so one of them doesn't have to be great. And 84 UMS isn't that far below 90.
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I believe an A* in FM requires 270 UMS across the three A2 modules. And as I'm sure you're aware, an A* in Maths required 180 UMS across the C3 and C4.
EmilySarah00
Rep:
?
For an A* in further, you need an A overall and an average of at least 90% in the best three A2 units that count towards further. You're going to be doing more than 3 A2 units for further, I think, so one of them doesn't have to be great. And 84 UMS isn't that far below 90.
Hmm that actually sounds more doable than I thought it would. The way it's averaged over 3 units makes it sound not as bad as the A* criteria for regular Maths.

Thank you very much for your help it is much appreciated!
Physics Enemy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I never liked Matrix Transformations in FP1 so I'm slightly scared of FP4 not gonna lie, I'm only going for an A in Further Maths though because I've just accepted I'll never get an A* (especially with how badly S2 went, I got 84 UMS haha)

Nice one on your UMS scores though sounds like you did great!
If you work at it, fill any gaps and prep well you should be ok. I'm strong at stats so I'm a bit lucky there, FP4 was my lowest across M/FM (similar to my M3).

Always aim for the A*, even if you just miss it in the end! 84 in S2 is fine, can resit it if you must. Sounds like you'll do well tbh.
spectral_theory
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I don't know if AQA operates in the same way, but with Edexcel, they will endeavour to rearrange your mathematics modules to give you the best possible A-level grades in Maths and Further Maths, as per their algorithm. For instance, for whatever reason, a student might get 90% across three A-level modules (thus satisfying one of the conditions for the A*) but may not get 80% overall. In this case, Edexcel can reshuffle the module combinations to your advantage, to push you over the threshold. I had this conversation with them a few years ago -- I wanted to make sure that my UMS scores were maximised, and they assured me that their algorithm would give me the best possible results (prioritising grades first I assume, followed by UMS scores). Having done 18 modules, they ended up giving me some quite bizarre pairings as a result!

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw you mentioned this in one of your posts already!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise