username3509866
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
HI I'm going into year 11 in September and I really want a grade 8/9 for German gcse (A*/A**) so are there any secret tips on how you learnt vocabulary as I was supposed to do that in summer holiday but I only learnt less than 30 vocabulary because summer flew by. - Thank you
fliscia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go onto cram.com, make flashcards and keep going over the flashcards until you know the words. The more words you know the easier it becomes to learn more.

Also for just a random tip, listening and singing along to german songs are very helpful for random words. Read the lyrics, translate words you don't know and then start singing the songs and you'll remember those words so much easier. (Songs also help with other parts of german as well like pronunciation, grammar, and learning phrases you probably wouldn't have known otherwise)
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I swear by memrise for learning languages. Find your course on it, and start learning the vocab now. My biggest regret with languages is that I didn't start learning the vocab until around December.
Listen to German songs and German radio too to help get used to the accent, although I admittedly didn't find the accent to be a huge problem with listening.
If there's a word which you know you'll use a lot, type it in on google translate. You can hear how it's meant to be pronounced.
TheFame
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
After I'd memorised the vocab, I would always be making random sentences in my head. Actually using what you learn (even if you don't say it aloud) is the best way to build fluency, which is what A* students are expected to have. Even if you have only learned 30 words, put them naturally into sentences. You'll find that grammar rules will also become slightly easier for you, as you'll constantly be practicing them.

That plus many many past papers resulted in an A* in French for me.
PODHEC1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by faizahx)
HI I'm going into year 11 in September and I really want a grade 8/9 for German gcse (A*/A**) so are there any secret tips on how you learnt vocabulary as I was supposed to do that in summer holiday but I only learnt less than 30 vocabulary because summer flew by. - Thank you
Hi what exam board are you doing for german I'm doing aqa and wondering where i can find the vocab book
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed