Need help with railcards and traveling to college!

Watch
harveywlong
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I'm a student studying at a college in Redhill and I live in Horley. Both of which are London zones. I used to have a 16+ Oyster Card and my mum would top up my expenses for college and I'd cover my work expenses.

However, Now that I'm 18 I can't apply for a 16+ oyster card and from the TfL website, the 18+ oyster card is no longer a thing. I was thinking about a 16-25 Railcard but in theory, I'd like an oyster as it's just tapped and go and saves me having to buy tickets everyday. Could somebody please give me an idea as to what would be the cheapest way to travel via train?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by harveywlong)
Hello,

I'm a student studying at a college in Redhill and I live in Horley. Both of which are London zones. I used to have a 16+ Oyster Card and my mum would top up my expenses for college and I'd cover my work expenses.

However, Now that I'm 18 I can't apply for a 16+ oyster card and from the TfL website, the 18+ oyster card is no longer a thing. I was thinking about a 16-25 Railcard but in theory, I'd like an oyster as it's just tapped and go and saves me having to buy tickets everyday. Could somebody please give me an idea as to what would be the cheapest way to travel via train?
Since when was the 18+ Oyster not a thing?
harveywlong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Since when was the 18+ Oyster not a thing?
It says this when I try to make a web account

The Transport for London 18+ Student Oyster photocard scheme 2016-2017 closed on the 31 July 2017.
Please check with your education establishment to see if it is participating in the 2017-2018 scheme starting on 1 September 2017.
If so you may be eligible to re-apply from that date.
You can still order a replacement for a lost/stolen/damaged card during this period by using the lost/stolen option at tfl.gov.uk/photocard or by phoning our helpline on 0343 222 1234.
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The 2016-2017 academic year has gone - you need to re-apply on the 1st Sept which is when the 2017/2018 academic year (this coming September) starts.
waqas_hussain98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello,

Go on to National Rail Enquiries and enter the journeys you would normally make, there Is an option to add a 16-25 railcard on the journey as well. It shows you how much you will save on the journey. On some journey having a railcard does not make a difference. That's all I know about railcards and travelling
Blue_Cow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by waqas_hussain98)
Go on to National Rail Enquiries and enter the journeys you would normally make, there Is an option to add a 16-25 railcard on the journey as well. It shows you how much you will save on the journey. On some journey having a railcard does not make a difference. That's all I know about railcards and travelling
You only get the railcard discount on off-peak journeys AFAIK - So as the OP is going to college, I doubt he is going to be travelling during off-peak times.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did you read what that message says? It says the scheme for 2017-18 isn't open yet, so you'll have to apply after September 1st.
harveywlong
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Did you read what that message says? It says the scheme for 2017-18 isn't open yet, so you'll have to apply after September 1st.
I did read it, was just a little confused.
So come the 1st, I'll be able to apply for an 18+ Web account? If that's the case then cheers.
Joseph Critcher
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I too am starting College this year! You could have two ways of getting there, you could use your Oyster Card which is proving an issue or you could get a 1 Year (or more) subscription to National Rail 16-25 Railcard that gives you a 1/3 off adult train tickets. You will most likely be travelling with Southern Rail. It costs £2.45 One Way from Horley to Redhill so it would be cheaper to get a Return ticket.

You could also get in contact with your College and see if they operate some sort of rail fare subsidy etc. My college offers it to all students allowing us to travel on a Childs Ticket Price to and from College.

Hope this Helps!

Joe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads