Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help Needed On Statement watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am trying to write my personal statement for Midwifery, I am having so much trouble. I really would like a bit of help.

I know I can't mention my children, as they will straight away say NO.
    I need it to be great, I have some ideas does anyone else. Just so as I know I am on the right track.

Many Thanks :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hi, wow, that is quite an unusual ps to have to write.
    i totally think you should mention your children, as this will set you apart from other candidates, as your own experience of childbirth can only help you to empathise with/ advise others.

here are a few ideas you might like to consider....

* a strong opening paragraph. something along the lines of ... 'Childbirth is a magical, life-changing experience. For a woman there is no experience more holy, natural and energising, not to mention painful. However it can also be a confusing time and potential complications are life threatening. The role of a midwife, I believe, is to provide personal, supportive, educated and competent obstetric and gynecological care to women. I feel I am suited to such a career and therefore to the degree course offered at your institution. My suggestion that I am a good candidate is based upon my academic record, work experience........... and above all my own personal experience of childbirth...'

* you should discuss any relevant work experience. e.g. clinical experience, voluntary work. show you have a realistic idea of what the job involves + still remain enthusiastic.

* show understanding of current issues surrounding midwifery or the health service in general. e.g. the controversy of the mmr jab? performance of the nhs vs the private sector? benefit of music to unborn baby? if you're struggling for ideas read the health supplement which comes with the Times and Guardian newspapers or read a medical periodical.
    comment on 1 or 2 to show you are interested in the health sector and are willing to continue learning throughout your career.

* discuss why you think you will make a good midwife here. (n.b think what you think makes a good midwife first. e.g. good relationship with mother + child, flexible, professional, good general health knowledge, etc etc. think how you can illustrate that you have/ aspire to these qualities in this section)

bring in any characteristics/ qualities (e.g. working within a team, good listener, put people at ease, dedicated. n.b. provide evidence for any statement made here) skills learnt/ knowledge gained from A2s (e.g. particularly enjoyed anatomy modules of biology course and performed well in this area, my psychology course introduced me to the different psychological responses of women to child birth - i found this fascinating and it has prompted me conduct further reading/ research, well you get the idea) extra curricular activities whatever they may be, especially anything to do with 1st aid e.g. st john's ambulance.
    show your time management / organisational skills by stating you have successfully divided your time between study/ your children/ social life/ part time job etc etc. this would reassure the admissions tutors that although you have children you will give 110% to your degree.

* your closing few lines must be equally as strong as your opening paragraph. something like .... 'Above all, I want to study midwifery at this level so that I can achieve my career goals and provide essential support to women at a vulnerable yet exciting part of their lives. '

i hope this has helped. which A2s are you studying? which unis are you applying to? let me know if you want any more advice.
    Ana xxx

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.