Please help !!!! I cannot decide what my third a level should be.

Watch
kalina.m
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really cannot decide what my third a level should be and I am enrolling shortly I am definitely studying French and English literature. For a while my third subject was going to be maths however I have decided against that and now I am considering either history or ancient history. The thing is, I want to get A/A* grades so that I can go to the uni that I want to, so I am looking to do something that I am good at so that I can get a good grade but also something that I like.

Please, please, please tell me your experiences and recommendations on what I should do.

(I am also considering psychology but it is not a facilitating so I don't know if good unis will disregard it)

Also, I am looking at studying law for my degree
SofiaTW
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well if you want to do law for your degree shouldn't you choose law? I found it very interesting.
Ruby1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kalina.m)
I really cannot decide what my third a level should be and I am enrolling shortly I am definitely studying French and English literature. For a while my third subject was going to be maths however I have decided against that and now I am considering either history or ancient history. The thing is, I want to get A/A* grades so that I can go to the uni that I want to, so I am looking to do something that I am good at so that I can get a good grade but also something that I like.

Please, please, please tell me your experiences and recommendations on what I should do.

(I am also considering psychology but it is not a facilitating so I don't know if good unis will disregard it)

Also, I am looking at studying law for my degree
Firstly, 2 of your subjects are facilitating so don't worry about the 3rd. Also, psychology is a very good subject to have for law. The good uni's dont care as long as you have the 1 facilitating subject - i did A level PE and got accepted in to a top 10 RG uni for law My only facilitating subjects where english & biology

History would be a very good choice, but you are right - you need to choose something your good at. Personally, i think history for you because of your choice with english lit. However, if you're more math/science minded then maths or psychology would be good for you
username1765117
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
History would be a really good pick as it is generally highly respected by all universities and also develops you're essay writing skills. Its especially perfect for law as you must construct a persuasive and well-formed argument from facts, as opposed to English literature where you construct an argument often based on 16th century mumbo jumbo or something equally subjective. Ancient history is similar but a little more obscure I'd go for regular history.

You could also consider a science to give you more variety or as you say there's psychology which is sort-of a science but involves essays and would definitely be a strong pick as well. Don't worry too much about facilitating as long as you enjoy it as your other two subjects are listed.

If the maths side of things still somewhat tempts you economics combines maths and essays really nicely and is really useful in life because of its real world applications.

Hope this helps and good luck
TMC113
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello! I reckon psychology would be a good choice for Law, definitely!!!

IMPORTANT: Please do not worry at all about 'facilitating subjects', I took none (psychology, media studies and philosophy & ethics) and I'm currently studying at a Russell Group university (Exeter), my entry requirements were lower than those of some students who took facilitating subjects, I even got a scholarship for my A level results!

You can easily get into a top uni with no 'facilitating subjects', I received offers from all universities that I applied to (including 3 Russell Group universities.)

Considering that studying 'facilitating subjects' (which are mainly recommended for people who don't know what they want to study - unlike yourself) isn't that important, my number 1 advice for all students making their A level choices is - DO WHAT YOU WILL ENJOY, as A Levels require a lot of extra work, which you are more likely to do if you enjoy the work!

Good luck.
caseykc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When you apply to university the most important thing is the actual grades you get, not what subjects you have chosen. I know you didn't mention considering taking Law as an A level but perhaps it would be a good idea if you are looking at doing it for your degree to get a feel of whether you will actually enjoy it. I took law as an A level and found it interesting but dull as it is the very basics of laws.

I took Law, psychology, and English language at A level and a few friends took history, and the styles of information/learning/exam questions are very different. The style of history is more similar to english in that it is a lot of essay writing in exams (you might get only 3 questions on an exam that are worth a lot of marks) whereas psychology and law especially at AS level are shorter answers with more questions. If you know you are good at the exam style of answering essay questions then maybe history is the option for you

I hope my experiences of the subjects help a little in your decision and if you have any more questions feel free to ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (44)
37.29%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
10.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.24%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
24.58%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.25%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.47%

Watched Threads