The Student Room Group

A level Physics/Chem/Maths prep advice!!

edited out for anonymity
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by honeydukes01
Hi, I am starting year 12 in a week and wanted to know what to do to get a head start in physics/chem/maths. What websites and books have been useful for you? Which topics will be easy to teach myself? And is there anything that you wish you did for these subjects before/during year 12? Thanks xx

Honestly you don't need to try and get a 'head start'. Teaching is what your teachers are there for, you don't need to try and do it yourself because you might grab hold of the end of the stick for a topic and then you'll have it cemented in your brain incorrectly. Plus if you try and self teach you'll have to sit through lessons of things you've already 'learnt' which isn't much fun either when the rest of the class are new to the topic.

If you want to do something useful I'd suggest you just refresh yourself on core GCSE knowledge so you haven't forgotten anything important for your first few lessons back. For example my first couple of Chem lessons were GCSE recap and I'd forgotten half of it.

You only have a week left so don't stress yourself out, you'll have plenty of time for worrying about being ahead in the future, for now just chill :smile:
Depends what you're aiming to do. For 90% of students it's totally irrelevant. If you need to learn (say) C3 maths for an exam, or more chemistry for an entrance exam, then yes, I suppose it's worth looking through the spec and working out what is doable.

Otherwise just revise, get your A/A* and move onto Uni. ez lyfe

Quick Reply

Latest