The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oh, and what is the NHS..? an insurance company?? (sorry for any dumb questions, but I have no idea :biggrin: )
Reply 2
Rikku
Hey,
I'm a future overseas EU student and I have NO idea about how health insurance works for ppl like me in the UK..
please help..
what's the best company?
how much do you pay (in my country it's for free for students)?
do they help me with all this at my uni during fresher's week??
THANX :smile:

We have the NHS over here, so I have no idea about health insurance, I am not sure if you will need it or not though.
Rikku
Oh, and what is the NHS..? an insurance company?? (sorry for any dumb questions, but I have no idea :biggrin: )

NHS is the National Health Service. Meaning healthcare is free.
Reply 4
Rikku

The NHS is the national health service, it gives free health care to all who can legally live here, well I think it does. It is government run.
Reply 5
so no health insurance companies, only NHS, which is free?
Cool...
thanx a lot for the help ... :biggrin:
Rikku
so no health insurance companies, only NHS, which is free?
Cool...
thanx a lot for the help ... :biggrin:

not quite right there, in the uk we have the NHS which as others have said is the National Health Service, through which you can get free healthcare, opperations, perscription only medicine at a discount, and also cheep dental and eye checks/treatment. if your a student in the uk, you can also fill in a form to check if your poor enough to get your dental/eye/persciptions free.

however, private healthcare does also exists. the biggest provider of private healthcare is bupa. so if you have lots of money, and want what some people may say is a quicker/better service...you can stil spend lots of money on healthcare.

love Katy ***
Reply 7
ahem.. well free at the point of delivery. medics & healthcare professionals aren't completely selfless types paid in magic rainbow drops from some government pot at the end of a rainbow.. :tongue: ooh, i do like that image though! :biggrin:

anyway, i think students in the UK are covered on the NHS (as your 'address' becomes your uni one) .. check NHS websites or info for overseas students on specific uni websites?

oh, i'm researching this now..!

From the horses' mouth itself, so to speak..

I'm coming to the UK to study, am I entitled to NHS treatment?

If a student comes from a country with which the UK holds a reciprocal health care agreement, the student will be covered for any treatment that occurred after their arrival in the UK.

If a student is not from a country with a reciprocal agreement, they may still be entitled to access NHS hospital treatment if the Trust decides to accept them as an ordinary UK resident. This may be the case if the student is seen as being in the UK for a settled and identifiable purpose, a course of study can be accepted as a settled purpose. If this is the case, the student, as an ordinary resident can access full NHS hospital treatment on the same basis as any other UK resident. It is unlikely, however that if the course of study is going to last for a very short time that the student will be considered as being in the UK for a settled purpose.

Latest

Trending

Trending