Pav94an
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I failed my final exam in my final year of MPharm (the resit aswell). I have two options: 1) Redo the year (I don't really want to do this, I already had to redo 2nd year, im 23 now and want to start work)
2) Take the exit degree - BSC (Hons) Pharmaceuticial Studies

Problem is, if I take the exit degree, I have no idea what to do after. WHat sort of work would i be looking at. Are there any actually decent jobs I could get if I go this route?

The current pharmacy career climate isn't good, so im not too fussed about not being a pharmacist --- but I have no idea what sort of careers I would be able to get into at this point and earn a good salary.
Academically I pretty much have B's in everything, I'm not someone with A*s who can get into investment banking.

Need some tips on what to be looking for, thanks!
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Redo the year. Will it not be capped at 40%?
FallenPetal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only drop the degree if you have a solid plan with the exit degree. From your posts here, it sounds like you are frustrated with Pharmacy - and that is a genuine concern to have - but I'd be wary of exiting the degree and three months down the line winding up unemployed.

If nothing else, staying on the course will give you a year to map out your next steps. You don't strictly have to do a pre-reg once you finish so, if the Pharmacist path isn't for you, spend this year getting your ducks in order to enter graduate schemes (or whatever it is you want to do).

I get that the Pharmacy profession is a big pot of boiling water at the moment, but I still wouldn't leap out of it blindly, lest you fall directly into the fire.
jadder1224
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pav94an)
So I failed my final exam in my final year of MPharm (the resit aswell). I have two options: 1) Redo the year (I don't really want to do this, I already had to redo 2nd year, im 23 now and want to start work)

Problem is, if I take the exit degree, I have no idea what to do after. WHat sort of work would i be looking at. Are there any actually decent jobs I could get if I go this route?

The current pharmacy career climate isn't good, so im not too fussed about not being a pharmacist --- but I have no idea what sort of careers I would be able to get into at this point and earn a good salary.
Academically I pretty much have B's in everything, I'm not someone with A*s who can get into investment banking.

Hi there!
Redo the year! The fact that you've gone through the year before will put you in a better position to pass and come out with an MPharm degree.
Good luck, you'll be great
velvetsky
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I understand your frustration but in my eyes you have nothing to lose. You've already passed 3 years & already gone through year 4 before. I believe everything happens for a reason!
Good luck :]
SunTiger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, what options do I have? I don't want to retake the year again. What did you end up doing OP?
bizzylizzy1182
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can I just ask what has happened with your situation now? I just found out that I have failed my first attempt at the main exam at 4th year and don't really know what to do, I think I'm going to lose my prereg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise