K Francis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My daughter's school - St Michael Grammar - has refused her from doing Chemistry, because of her a D result in AS. However, she is allowed to continue with Biology, Math and Italian language in 2A, but my daughter does not want to continue with Math, but chemistry. She desperately wants to do chemistry to enable her doing medicine. In her AS results, she got A in Italian, B in Biology, B in Maths and D in Chemistry. She is looking for a good public six-form that would enable her to do year 13 with chemistry. Besides, in case she has to continue with her school without chemistry, is there a way out for her to do a medicine in any uni? Is it also possible to do chemistry alone somewhere that could be allowed her for doing medicine? Please I need your advice. Thanks
urlocalmcm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's highly unlikely that you can do medicine without Chemistry, however, you can apply for the Foundation Medicine Course. It is one year extra so 6 years instead of 5 (uni's such as University of Bristol do them)

Hope that helps
K Francis
Rep:
?
(Original post by S a i n t)
It's highly unlikely that you can do medicine without Chemistry, however, you can apply for the Foundation Medicine Course. It is one year extra so 6 years instead of 5 (uni's such as University of Bristol do them)

Hope that helps
thanks
Phoenix_96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by K Francis)
My daughter's school - St Michael Grammar - has refused her from doing Chemistry, because of her a D result in AS. However, she is allowed to continue with Biology, Math and Italian language in 2A, but my daughter does not want to continue with Math, but chemistry. She desperately wants to do chemistry to enable her doing medicine. In her AS results, she got A in Italian, B in Biology, B in Maths and D in Chemistry. She is looking for a good public six-form that would enable her to do year 13 with chemistry. Besides, in case she has to continue with her school without chemistry, is there a way out for her to do a medicine in any uni? Is it also possible to do chemistry alone somewhere that could be allowed her for doing medicine? Please I need your advice. Thanks
Is there any particular reason that she got a D in AS Chemistry? Were there any extenuating circumstances or a lack of effort in the subject? If she is to take Chemistry forward then she will need to achieve at least an A grade to stand a chance of getting into Medicine.

It is definitely possible for her to do an A Level in Chemistry by self-studying the content, perhaps if you're able to financially then getting a tutor for her to support her with this might be beneficial. She could sit the exams at her school if they allow her to and pay for them or find another centre to sit them at. A list of centres that accept private candidates are generally available on the relevant exam boards' websites. You would also need to find a centre for her to take the Chemistry practicals, maybe her own school could be an option?

The other option she could look at is Medicine with a foundation year but this is generally for students from widening participation backgrounds (i.e. low household income, neighbourhoods with low progression to HE, care leavers, first generation students) and students who have not studied Sciences at A Level.
urlocalmcm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
thanks
No problem, I hope that everything works out well for your daughter
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Without Chemistry, things get very complicated. Basically, she needs it. The problem I can see is that another college probably wouldn't accept her for the full A level because of the poor AS grade.
K Francis
Rep:
?
St Charles Catholic Six Form College is willing to accept my daughter in A2 for Chemistry and Biology. Unfortunately, the exams boards for both subjects are different from her previous school where she did AS exams. In her AS, Biology was with AQA and chemistry was with Edexcel, while in this current school, biology is with OCR and chemistry is with AQA. Would the change of exams boards could create difficulties for my daughter? Has anyone also got an idea about St Charles college either is a good school or not? Please, I need advice. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.43%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.57%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
51.43%

Watched Threads