The Student Room Group

Struggling to pick university after gap year.

Hi guys,
I chose not to opt for deferred entry and am now choosing possible universities.
I didn't do as well as I hoped at GCSE:
8A's 3B's

But I did get 2 A* and an A at A level.
I was wondering whether Cambridge was a possibility, but I was also thinking of UCL and Edinburgh.
One last thing, politics being my favourite A Level by far, I was wondering whether a joint honours Law and Politics degree was as employable as straight Law.
(edited 6 years ago)
Have you considered PPL(Law with Politics and Philosophy) at KCL?
Reply 2
I have, however never studying Philosophy before has me wary. Also, to be honest I'm trying to avoid universities with the LNAT requirement, my score isn't what I hoped it'd be.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Have you considered PPL(Law with Politics and Philosophy) at KCL?
Original post by JaySoor
I have, however never studying Philosophy before has me wary. Also, to be honest I'm trying to avoid universities with the LNAT requirement, my score isn't what I hoped it'd be.

What did you get?
Manchester is a good non lnat university and offer Law with Politics
Reply 4
Original post by teenhorrorstory
What did you get?
Manchester is a good non lnat university and offer Law with Politics

I scored 23 on the LNAT. Do you think Law and Politics and Edinburgh would be more prestigious. Also, do you think Law and Social sciences at Warwick, where I could choose politics modules, could be a better option.
Reply 5
Thank you for your input, so LLB degrees would be optimal. That narrows it down, thank you.
Law and social sciences at Warwick is both qualifying and would allow me to do politics, however would straight law at UCL or Cambridge be compatible with my grades.
Original post by J-SP
It is as "employable" but be aware that you will need to go through additional legal training if your degree is not a qualifying law degree. Also be aware that Scottish law and English law are two different jurisdicitions, so a QLD in Scotland isn't one in England (and vice versa).
Reply 6
Thank you for responding. I have been considering, whether or not I should be putting my activities during my gap year in a revamped personal statement as the last one I wrote was just after I got my results. I'm proud that I taught English in China for 4 months however for 6 I basically did nothing. If I were applying, could this possibly be questioned.
Original post by J-SP
LLBs are not "optimal" but if you want a legal career will make the process easier/quicker/cheaper from your perspective.

Employers won't really care whether it is a qualifying law degree or not.

I don't know enough about entry requirements into those unis or the courses they can offer you, but I would have though A*A*A would be enough for pretty much any uni (based on that information alone).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending