The Student Room Group

Any advice for these subjects? I need it!

Well this year seems like it's going to be an absolute belter...

I'm aiming for AAAA and a NAT5 A.

Higher English
Higher Biology
Higher Music
Higher Modern Studies
National 5 Mathematics

I'm done for, right?
Entirely possible. Keep your head down, put down some solid assignments and make sure to keep up with all your work and you should be fine.
Reply 2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Higher English is easier than n5 u basically get more time for the same difficulty of questions.
Higher biology is alright just make sure u r up to speed with problem solving and basic maths- do all new higher past papers and specimen paper and also do the revised higher papers. There's also a leckie and Leckie book with 4 papers which r quite odd but still good for more questions esp problem solving.
For higher modern I can't comment I did n5 in 2016 n got an A but didn't do it at higher but try and get a good assignment mark.
I haven't taken music at any level.
Did n5 maths in 2016 and higher in 2017 and got an A in both. N5 maths is pretty chill just do loads and loads of papers literally do int 2 papers as well. Maths is all practice. Now be wary of the 2014 and 2015 papers as these were both too easy. The 2016 paper and the 2017 paper is the correct standard so make sure you are able to do those questions. I'm not great at maths but if you just practise over and over questions grow repetitive.
Sorry this is so poorly written I cba typing haha
Reply 3
Basically as above - also H Music is basically the old N5 Music with like 7 new concepts to learn + more practical time. The question paper is also a bit more buffed up and the question order changed a bit in 2017 but other than that, that's about it for music.

Just don't underestimate the N5 to Higher jump, that's my general word of advice I say to everyone :tongue:
Higher Music is a breeze, I thought anyway. Just a bit longer time for practical and the concepts are relatively easy to get your head around. I think there around 30(ish) that you need to know.

Higher English is also relatively straightforward. You get a bit more time to answer a slightly harder question. The Higher English critical reading is more of a direct question, whereas national 5 is like, write about a book. Also, the close reading, or reading for UAE, the focus is more on the analysis, so ensure that if something is worth 4 marks, write at least 4 things! I always wrote one more just incase.

Higher Modern Studies is basically common sense. The only thing you may find a bit difficult is remembering the examples to use. And your 20 marker has got to be in the world issue (Africa) section this year.

From what I've heard from people who re-sat National 5 maths is that the second time around it's much easier as it's more repetitive if that makes sense. ie. You have already done the course, so going over it again makes it sink in a bit more.

Hope that helps! However, remember to keep on top of your subjects. Theres a lot more in a Higher Course than National 5.
Original post by aronofskygal

Higher English
Higher Biology
Higher Music
Higher Modern Studies
National 5 Mathematics

I'm done for, right?

No you're not! I'm doing H English and Modern Studies as well - everyone has said English is pretty similar to Nat 5 except it's more to write in a higher standard in the same time. Modern is more essay based now than it was at Nat 5 but as long as you work hard on your assignment and know your stuff with recent examples you'll be fine.

I can't speak for Biology cause I only did it at Nat 5 or Music cause I never did it but Nat 5 Maths is practice practice practice! Maths was my worst subject by far - I was scraping a C during prelims. However, due to my teacher's help and a lot of practice and past paper questions I bumped up to an A in the final exam. It's entirely possible ! I recommend doing all the past papers including Int 2 and a website called Maths180 which my teacher told us about. It basically gives you past paper questions made up by maths teachers. It also has a bunch of videos explaining how to do the different topics which is really useful!

As long as you word hard and keep up with deadlines throughout the year you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 6
It'll be a belter but u can do it!!
i did the same as you but replace Music w/ Higher History, and N5 Maths w/ Higher and i ended up with 5 As.

H English is easy af, it's literally just like redoing N5. I did old H Bio and Mods so I can't really give any words of advice lol.

Just keep on top of your work and don't not do work just cause your teacher doesn't check ((my maths teacher neverrrr checked our HW so I just wouldn't do it and I was getting Ds/Cs which was stressful af before somehow pulling an A in the exam lmao)
Original post by JM_1998
It'll be a belter but u can do it!!
i did the same as you but replace Music w/ Higher History, and N5 Maths w/ Higher and i ended up with 5 As.

H English is easy af, it's literally just like redoing N5. I did old H Bio and Mods so I can't really give any words of advice lol.

Just keep on top of your work and don't not do work just cause your teacher doesn't check ((my maths teacher neverrrr checked our HW so I just wouldn't do it and I was getting Ds/Cs which was stressful af before somehow pulling an A in the exam lmao)

Do you have any revision tips in getting an A in Higher Maths? 😊
i.e any books or websites that help?
Reply 8
hi I am a different person but I like this website: http://www.national5maths.co.uk/free-higher-maths/
it has all the higher maths papers until like 2000 with marking scheme. when I did higher last year it also had worked solutions for all the papers but these are gone now so Idk if they've made it a paid feature but still good. My advice for maths is really just practice paper after practice paper. I left all exam revision this year until April and while I got 5As it was very stressful so I would recommend revising throughout the year and staying on top of things unlike me
Reply 9
Original post by _Matthew01_
Do you have any revision tips in getting an A in Higher Maths? 😊
i.e any books or websites that help?

Not really lmao, it was 3 years ago and tbh I've repressed it all
Original post by aronofskygal

Higher English
Higher Biology
Higher Music
Higher Modern Studies
National 5 Mathematics

I'm done for, right?

last year i took almost the same subjects as you (i took higher english, biology, modern studies, french and maths) and got AAAAA so if u need help in any that i did hmu
Original post by tessglasgow
last year i took almost the same subjects as you (i took higher english, biology, modern studies, french and maths) and got AAAAA so if u need help in any that i did hmu

Hi! Could you pm me some advice for English, Modern and Biology? Thank you!

Hi! Do you have any advice to score high in Higher Modern Studies? 😊 I have absolutely no idea how to revise successfully for the exam and achieve an A due to the such unpredictability of the questions.

I’m also completing my assignment currently and I’m finding it challenging. I heard you got 29/30 last year, do you also have any tips for the assignment?
Hi! Do you have any advice to score high in Higher Modern Studies? 😊 I have absolutely no idea how to revise successfully for the exam and achieve an A due to the such unpredictability of the questions.

I’m also completing my assignment currently and I’m finding it challenging. I heard you got 29/30 last year, do you also have any tips for the assignment?

do a topic which is easy enough but isnt too common, i did change of electoral system and my 3 options were really easy, just FPTP, AMS and STV. Also make sure you reference your source sheet all the time, just do it as much as possible. Also, this might sound obvious, but practise as much as possible writing it all out in the time limit
do a topic which is easy enough but isnt too common, i did change of electoral system and my 3 options were really easy, just FPTP, AMS and STV. Also make sure you reference your source sheet all the time, just do it as much as possible. Also, this might sound obvious, but practise as much as possible writing it all out in the time limit

How many sources is best?
How many sources is best?

I had 8 sources on it and I filled the source sheet, what i did with my draft is i wrote stuff i already knew then found a source which says this on it
i could send you a copy of my source sheet and my draft of my assigment
I had 8 sources on it and I filled the source sheet, what i did with my draft is i wrote stuff i already knew then found a source which says this on it

Yes please that would be much appreciated!!! Thank you :smile:

Please send me it too!!
I'm resitting higher biology this year so would be happy to help with that and I'm doing higher maths so would help with nat 5.
I've sat all the subject you have so I'd be happy to answer and questions and help. Feel free to check my GYG blog for tips
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4998046

Quick Reply

Latest