The Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2017-2018) Watch

This discussion is closed.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

CA EDIT: Similar threads to this for 2018-2019 should be up and running after GCSE results day.

:nyan:Year 12 Thread (2017-2018):nyan:
Just admire that Nyan cat...

Announcements
N/A

Icebreakers
- Introduce yourself
- What are your hobbies/interests?
- What grades do you think you'll get for your GCSEs? [OPTIONAL]
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs? [OPTIONAL]
- What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it)
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?
- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college?
- What's your ideal future occupation?

General Advice
Advice on starting A Levels
Advice from A* students
Advice on studying/revising at A Levels
A Level revision resources [Disclaimer: many of these resources may be focused on the old specification A levels so should not be relied on to cover the whole of the new specification]
Stationery for sixth form

Subject Advice
Note: Individual subject advice will be available soon and I will post the links to them here.

2019 University Applicants Threads
The Official Cambridge Applicants 2019 Thread
The Official Oxford Applicants 2019 Thread

Future University Applicants
Oxford: CoffeeAndPolitics (History & Politics), Lemur14 (Maths), CoffeeGeek(PPE/Economics), TheNlee (Biomedical Science), e2014 (History & Politics), ripmerip (Japanese), Bla1287 (Engineering), Doctor1234, Rleggette12, Rory_Evan (Maths), beauzz (History/History & English Literature), yeezyb (Computer Science), effystonem (Maths/Maths & Physics/Computer Science/Engineering), TheMightyBadger (Maths), brownanya122 (Law/PPE/History/English), Historical Muse (History), InferInfer, NuttyPancake1234 (Medicine), nadamczyk (Medicine), aspiringscorpio (Medicine).

Cambridge: Eulogy (Maths), _gcx (Maths), Kazo11 (Engineering), Sonechka (Linguistics/MML), LEuphoria (History), stimtothesky (Vet Med), zq01 (Engineering), ecila21 (Maths), MuskiRock11 (Engineering), adamchin (Politics/Science degree), EGIK (Physics), usfbullz (Computer Science), geeorgie (Vet Science), Dani1246 (Medicine), GreenTeeKid (History & Politics), Rory_Evan (Maths), beauzz (History/History & English Literature), yeezyb (Computer Science), effystonem (Maths/Maths & Physics/Computer Science/Engineering), TheMightyBadger (Maths), brownanya122 (Law/PPE/History/English), Historical Muse (History), InferInfer, PattoR (Medicine), Deyb (Medicine), Sok.cho (Medicine), lavendermenace (Human, Social and Political Science).

Note: This OP will be edited continuously.
Last edited by CoffeeAndPolitics; 2 months ago
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First post again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Copy of my intro from before:
My answers:
- Hey, I'm Lemur14 and I'm a Study Help Community Assistant
- I spent a lot of time doing amateur dramatics. I also love to work with children (and spend many hours each week volunteering with them!)
- For my GCSEs I am hoping for: a 9, two 7s, 4 A*s, 3 As and an A in the FSMQ. I've also already achieved an A* in statistics, As in RS and citizenship shortcourses, a B in French and a distinction* in ECDL
- OK, I seem to have over estimated my results. I got (in 2017):
9-maths
8-English literature
6-English language
A*-Computing, Electronics
A-Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Business and the FSMQ
Overall: 6A*, 8A, 2B
- I'm planning on taking Edexcel maths, further maths, chemistry and OCR computing (unfortunately...would much rather do AQA)
- University wise I am unsure which unis I will apply to, although assuming my GCSEs are around as expected I will apply to Oxford. I'm planning on doing maths, but I'm also considering maths with something else such as computing or statistics.
- Occupation? One step at a time...we haven't even got GCSE results yet!
My GYG thread is here if anyone is interested! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4922356

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Lemur14; 1 year ago
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First page - reserving

- Introduce yourself Hey, i'd rather keep myself as anonymous as possible but yeah, great to meet you all
- What are your hobbies/interests? going out with friends, computers, watching movies, Harry Potter - I'm a Hufflepuff, I could keep going....
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs? 8,7,6,A*,A*,A,A,B,B
- What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it) AQA Geography, OCR Computer Science, AQA French, Unknown Maths
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do? I'm thinking either Nottingham or Warwick.I'm not clever enough to go to Oxbridge :P Not sure which course yet though.
- If you're not thinking of going to university, what will you do after 6th form/college? I might take a gap year, let's see where the year takes me.
- What's your ideal future occupation? Not a clue
Last edited by thegalaxy; 1 year ago
Gingerbread101
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you guys have any idea how much concentration it took for me to copy this thread, close the other thread, and post the link to this new thread simultaneously :grumble: :lol:
Moltenmo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First page, reserving too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moltenmo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gingerbread101)
Do you guys have any idea how much concentration it took for me to copy this thread, close the other thread, and post the link to this new thread simultaneously :grumble: :lol:
Thank you for the efforts, would appreciate if you would delete this post after a while though lol, want to push my post up a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I have more idea than most I'm quite happy copying my answers across but most won't have access to do so.
Great job I say (I'd have made everyone wait for the link )

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkypaz123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
- Introduce yourself- Hey!
- What are your hobbies/interests?- I love my dog to the moon and back, I like to knit and draw, I am prone to procrastinating (this site may or may not be a cause of that ) and I like learning (providing it's interesting)
- What grades do you think you'll get for your GCSEs?- I predicted: 766,A*,A*,A*,A,A,A,B
- What grades did you get for your GCSEs?-
8- Maths, English Language
6- English Literature
A*- Chemistry, Physics
A- Biology, Art, Graphics, French
So 886,A*,A*,A,A,A,A - somehow a lot better that I had expected
- What subjects are you planning to take?- Chemistry, Biology and Maths- all OCR
- If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do?- I'm hoping to study medicine at Imperial but I'm also looking at Kings, UCL and QMUL
- What's your ideal future occupation?- I would like to become a cardiothorcic surgeon (or an emergency medicine doctor but I'm leaning towards cardiothoracic surgery)
Last edited by pinkypaz123; 1 year ago
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
  • Introduce yourself - Of no interest
  • Interests - maths, contributing to educational resources, etc.
  • What subjects are you planning to take? (Include the exam board if you know it) - Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry, all Edexcel. May swap one of them with English Literature (Edexcel) or History (OCR).
  • If you're thinking of going to university, where will you apply to and what course will you do? - Hopefully maths at cam, icl or warwick.
  • What's your ideal future occupation? - academics
Last edited by _gcx; 1 year ago
Moltenmo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Where did all the other posts go?
I think the thread was erased, so old posts are removed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thegalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Well I have more idea than most I'm quite happy copying my answers across but most won't have access to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a moderator on another forum so I totally get ya both :P
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
你好,

- I'm CoffeeAndPolitics and I'm a Study Help Community Assistant. I'm also a TSR Liberal MP.
- I'm interested in History and Politics. I support Liverpool FC.
- GCSE Predictions: 2A*s, 2As and 5Bs (Includes Maths and English of which the equivalent grade is roughly a 6)
- Actual GCSE Results: TBC - Hopefully things will go my way, I'm feeling quite anxious.
- I will be studying History (OCR), Economics (Edexcel) and Sociology (AQA).
- I'm hoping to apply to universities like Birmingham/Lancaster for History & Politics and I will consider applying to Oxford (no harm in trying).
- My ideal future occupation is to become a politician.
Last edited by CoffeeAndPolitics; 1 year ago
Gingerbread101
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moltenmo)
Thank you for the efforts, would appreciate if you would delete this post after a while though lol, want to push my post up a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm keeping that spot in return for all of the hardships you guys put me through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd give you all the excitement of a first page again, given the thread shouldn't have technically existed before :lol:
thegalaxy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Copy of my intro from before:
My answers:
- Hey, I'm Lemur14 and I'm a Study Help Community Assistant
- I spent a lot of time doing amateur dramatics. I also love to work with children (and spend many hours each week volunteering with them!)
- For my GCSEs I am hoping for: a 9, two 7s, 4 A*s, 3 As and an A in the FSMQ. I've also already achieved an A* in statistics, As in RS and citizenship shortcourses, a B in French and a distinction* in ECDL
- OK, I seem to have over estimated my results. I got (in 2017):
9-maths
8-English literature
6-English language
A*-Computing, Electronics
A-Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Business and the FSMQ
Overall: 6A*, 8A, 2B
- I'm planning on taking Edexcel maths, further maths, chemistry and OCR computing (unfortunately...would much rather do AQA)
- University wise I am unsure which unis I will apply to, although assuming my GCSEs are around as expected I will apply to Oxford. I'm planning on doing maths, but I'm also considering maths with something else such as computing or statistics.
- Occupation? One step at a time...we haven't even got GCSE results yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing OCR computing too! I haven't looked too much into the specifications but OCR Computing A-level seems okay, at least according to my teacher.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Seriously thank you for taking the effort, I really appreciate that.
Kazo11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Kazo11
11A* 1A at GCSEs
Im doing Maths FM Chem Phys plus maybe an EPQ
Hopefully gonna do engineering at Cambridge or Imperial
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)
Where did all the other posts go?
When we move threads from the project area generally only the first post is moved as that's all that is needed.
(Original post by thegalaxy)
I'm doing OCR computing too! I haven't looked too much into the specifications but OCR Computing A-level seems okay, at least according to my teacher.
Whoop! My GCSE teacher hates the OCR spec which probably doesn't help... OCR is much more common though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moltenmo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It feels so strange having to go to the A-Level forum instead of the GCSE one. It'll take me a few days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Moltenmo)
It feels so strange having to go to the A-Level forum instead of the GCSE one. It'll take me a few days

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been gently transferring over the summer... Just about getting to the point I usually pick the right one now! Though I still spend quite a lot of time in the GCSE forum as part of my role anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (517)
91.5%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.5%

Watched Threads