Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Top 5 for GCSE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question, I wanted to know what you actually get for a top 5 in the country.

I got top 5 in English Literature for GCSE (and I despise English and English Lit) :eek: , do I get to go to an award ceremony, a medal anything like that. Or just a letter.

Thanks if you can help.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    I got in the top 354199 in the country for all my subjects

I think you only get a letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris10102000)
    Just a quick question, I wanted to know what you actually get for a top 5 in the country.

I got top 5 in English Literature for GCSE (and I despise English and English Lit) :eek: , do I get to go to an award ceremony, a medal anything like that. Or just a letter.

Thanks if you can help.

Chris

I was also in top 5 for English Lit - surely you know what you get for it?

ReputationRep:
    no you dont get anything like that. i was in the top 5 for eng lit in 2002. all you get is the letter so keep it safe!

it doesnt even say 'top 5' on the actual english lit gcse certificate, it just says A*. they never tell you your actual position either, but i guess its safe to say you prob got 100%.

i was so gutted to find out that 'top 5' means top 5 marks not top 5 people, and that in 2002 32 other people also achieved this

but well done anyways! are you all doing eng lit A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    You get a letter, and that's that. Don't let it go to your head.

I agree - it's no big deal. It's a top five MARK, not top five in terms of people. There are loads of people all scoring the same marks, so it is likely that hundreds got a top five mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I got in the top 354199 in the country for all my subjects
    BLOODY HELL!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    no you dont get anything like that. i was in the top 5 for eng lit in 2002. all you get is the letter so keep it safe!

it doesnt even say 'top 5' on the actual english lit gcse certificate, it just says A*. they never tell you your actual position either, but i guess its safe to say you prob got 100%.

i was so gutted to find out that 'top 5' means top 5 marks not top 5 people, and that in 2002 32 other people also achieved this

but well done anyways! are you all doing eng lit A level?

I was undecided between LIt and Language - but am definitiely doing Lit now.

ReputationRep:
    For English Lit, yes, everyone who has a top 5 seems to have it in English Literature. Hardly ever in Maths/Sciences.

There's a top five mark for EVERY subject, so there must also have been for Maths/Science subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikki J S)
    I was undecided between LIt and Language - but am definitiely doing Lit now.
    nice one! when i sat the eng lit gcse, i was only predicted an A (not A*) and some of my speaking was grade C. i was expecting a B for the exam cos it was hard, but luckily the question that came up i had dont the day before in revision! so when i got my letter all i could think was how lucky i was that i'd done the ques the day before. with my low predicted grade i thought this was the only reason i'd done well, and i thought there'd be too much pressure on me to get an A at AS. so i didnt take eng at all. but in the upper 6th year, i thought my lit was wasted, so i took the AS as well as my A2 levels and got 96%. so good luck and have confidence in yourself!

btw, do you all go to grammar/private schools?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously, I just said that usually Top 5's come in English Literature rather than the Maths/Sciences, which is true, it's much more common to get a top 5 in Eng Lit than Maths.

"Hardly Ever" Does Not Equal "Never".

What's your source of evidence?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously, I just said that usually Top 5's come in English Literature rather than the Maths/Sciences, which is true, it's much more common to get a top 5 in Eng Lit than Maths.

"Hardly Ever" Does Not Equal "Never".
    Stuart Tickner in King Edwards Grammar school got the eng lit, science and math ones!! someone else in KEGS got sci and someone else got maths as well in 2002. however, does anyone ever get them for RE or History? cos im sure i got 99%+ in RE as i did in all the past papers, but i didnt get anything.

ReputationRep:
    nice one! when i sat the eng lit gcse, i was only predicted an A (not A*) and some of my speaking was grade C. i was expecting a B for the exam cos it was hard, but luckily the question that came up i had dont the day before in revision! so when i got my letter all i could think was how lucky i was that i'd done the ques the day before. with my low predicted grade i thought this was the only reason i'd done well, and i thought there'd be too much pressure on me to get an A at AS. so i didnt take eng at all. but in the upper 6th year, i thought my lit was wasted, so i took the AS as well as my A2 levels and got 96%. so good luck and have confidence in yourself!

btw, do you all go to grammar/private schools?

Yes - private - Do you think that makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    What's your source of evidence?
    a boy in my school got 100% for his math paper and didnt get anything. we are with edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Yes - private - Do you think that makes a difference?
    maybe. i go to moulsham high, a comprehensive quite low in the league tables, so it was a really big thing not just for how i did, but when a boy got all A*s cos this never happens. also when applying to uni, private schools are said to have better teaching and better reps so people get in more, with higher grades. look at bristol. also, see the front page of the daily express today - they want to lower the entry reqs for state school candidates cos the teaching and resources are poor compared to private schools. i know my school library had about 100 books total, all from 1970s.

ReputationRep:
    No, none at all, better teaching/overall work ethic/pupils attitude/facilities/resources/academic record in comparison to state schools, makes no difference whatsoever.

What a silly question. :rolleyes:
    well done to you! as far as i know, im the only person to have got anything like this from going to a comprehensive state school! you have to work twice as hard, dont you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, youve cleared up a few loose ends.

well done to you! as far as i know, im the only person to have got anything like this from going to a comprehensive state school! you have to work twice as hard, dont you
    I agree, im in comprehensive state school (and got 11 A* :eek: ), I hate English Lit (really), and I got a top 5, along with someone else in my school. All in all, i know 5 people who have top 5's in English Lit, so it definantly seems to be the easiest one. Im not taking it for A Level because I dont like it. Its perhaps the biggest fluke of my life.

PS, doesnt everyone agree that AQA should at least tell you what position you got? Seems pretty rubbish to me.

ReputationRep:
    My sis got one of those top 5 letters for RE - got into the local press and everything. (geek!)

ReputationRep:
    We got 3 top fives in Class Civ at my school. And my headmistress *insisted* they really only give 5 of them.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Two people in my german class got Top 5's. And one of them also got a top 5 in geography! And on eof my friends got highest marks in Child Development!! And shes missed most of the year off school!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i got it 4 science but i really dislike science and my teacher for that matter. thought it was quite funny overall

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.