Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, the problem is that for AS I have to do four subjects. I was going to do Music Chem Biology and Business. I had been going to do Business because it was really the only subject that I could do it that block. However, I am very interested in doing neuroscience (I have a vendetta...) or neurobiology at uni, and while some courses don't require maths, I have been thinking long and hard about it over the summer, and I don't know whether to do maths instead of business or not. I have never done business before, but was informed it would probably be able to do it successfully, and I got and A* for maths at GCSE. The problem is I would like to do 4 A levels, and I am not sure if I would be able to do four A levels including maths, because at GCSE I found maths one of the more difficult subjects (though I was consistently getting 70%-80%). Basically I would like to know two things -

Is Maths A level harder than Business A level?
    If it is, would it be worth me doing 4 AS (Maths Chem Bio Music) and then 3 A levels (Chem Bio Music)?
    And would it help my potential Uni application to have maths at AS but only 3 A levels if I couldn't manage maths at A level?

It should also be taken into account that for A level music we can chose to do just composition, and I was told this year that my GCSE composition was at the correct standard for A level) Sorry this is so long, but after 2 months I've still not come to a conclusion... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prometheus)
    Right, the problem is that for AS I have to do four subjects. I was going to do Music Chem Biology and Business. I had been going to do Business because it was really the only subject that I could do it that block. However, I am very interested in doing neuroscience (I have a vendetta...) or neurobiology at uni, and while some courses don't require maths, I have been thinking long and hard about it over the summer, and I don't know whether to do maths instead of business or not. I have never done business before, but was informed it would probably be able to do it successfully, and I got and A* for maths at GCSE. The problem is I would like to do 4 A levels, and I am not sure if I would be able to do four A levels including maths, because at GCSE I found maths one of the more difficult subjects (though I was consistently getting 70%-80%). Basically I would like to know two things -

If it is, would it be worth me doing 4 AS (Maths Chem Bio Music) and then 3 A levels (Chem Bio Music)?
    And would it help my potential Uni application to have maths at AS but only 3 A levels if I couldn't manage maths at A level?

It should also be taken into account that for A level music we can chose to do just composition, and I was told this year that my GCSE composition was at the correct standard for A level) Sorry this is so long, but after 2 months I've still not come to a conclusion... :confused:
    You could drop the music and do both Business and Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prometheus)
    And would it help my potential Uni application to have maths at AS but only 3 A levels if I couldn't manage maths at A level?:
    1) Yes Maths is definately harder than business (I haven't taken business, only maths, but so everyone tells me).
    2)I'm not sure what you mean, are you asking whether its better to take maths but only take 3 to the full A Level, or to take Business and to take 4 to the full A Level? If so, that is something you should ask universities (email departments). Personally, I'd definately say take maths (I think, and get the impression that unis think so too, that it is much more highly regarded). Universities don't expect you to have more than 3 A Level, and yes I also think an AS in maths is better than an A Level in Business. Additionally, not saying that you will, but if you happen to do not so well in say, chemistry or biology, you have another science subject to back you up, since you want to study neuroscience at university this would probably be important.

Oh and by the way, with an A* at GCSE (and if you put in the work at AS), you should have no problems at all with AS/A Level maths.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend you do chemistry, biology, maths and music at AS, then drop music or maths and do chem, bio + maths OR music to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Maths would definitely be more useful for a science course, and although business would more than likely be a lot easier, maths is much more respected. Business studies is seen as a bit of a 'mickey mouse' A level by most good unis, and especially as you want such an academic career, it would be far safer to do maths. Even if it's not specifically required, a lot more people are applying for uni these days and you need to put yourself in the best position possible.

If you got an A* at GCSE, I'm sure you'd do fine at AS as long as you put the work in. Unis only ask for 3 A levels (and sometimes 1 AS) so you could drop either maths or music after the first year if you don't feel you could cope with carrying them all on to A2. Even an AS in maths would be great for impressing unis as they recognise how hard it is.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.