B1268 - Vehicle Excise Duty (Foreign Owners & Green Encouragement) Bill 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1268 - Vehicle Excise Duty (Foreign Owners & Green Encouragement) Bill 2017, TSR Government

Vehicle Excise Duty (Foreign Owners & Green Encouragement) Bill, 2017

An act ensuring the polluter pays principle is attached fairly to those using the UK (Road Network.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

(1) Definitions

(1) a. Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) is a tax that is levied as an excise duty and which must be paid for most types of vehicles which are to be used (or parked) on the public roads in the United Kingdom.
(a) b. The Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) is the organisation of the UK government responsible for maintaining a database of drivers in Great Britain and a database of vehicles for the entire United Kingdom.
(a) c. The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVANI) (An Ghníomhaireacht Tiománaithe agus Feithiclí) is a government agency of the Northern Ireland Department for Infrastructure.
(a) d. ‘Foreign Owners’ are the registered owners or users of a vehicle of any type that enters the UK which is not registered with the DVLA or DVANI
(a) e. A ‘bike’ is a motorised dual wheeled road vehicle that is privately owned and able to carry no more than 2 people.
(a) f. A ‘car’ is a road vehicle that is privately owned and able to carry no more than 8 people
(a) g. A ‘commercial vehicle’ is any vehicle that does not meet the definition of a car or: is owned by a company, charity or any other incorporated body is used for the purpose of completing work when the owner is self-employed.
(a) f. The territories of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland consist of: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.

(2) Organisational Changes

(a) a. The DVANI will take control of collecting VED in Northern Ireland from the DVLA.
(a) b. The DVANI will take control of collecting Foreign VED in Northern Ireland
(a) c. The DVLA will take control of collecting Foreign VED in the rest of the United Kingdom.

(3) VED Age Changes

(a) a. All vehicles registered before 1973 must be charged annual VED at the appropriate rates for all other vehicles of that nature.

(4) Foreign VED: Entering the Country
(a) a. Upon entry into the territories of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland vehicles will be liable to pay a flat fee appropriate to the pollution potential of the vehicle.
(a) b. Cars entering from Ireland that are registered in the Republic of Ireland shall not be liable for the paying of such a fee.
(a) c. Any other vehicle entering from Ireland be it registered in the Republic of Ireland or not shall be liable to pay the full amount subsequently listed.
(a) d. The appropriate rates upon each ‘Cars’ entry into the country shall be as follows 0g/CO2/km:
£0 1-50g/CO2/km
£0 51-75g/CO2/km
£0 75-100g/CO2/km
£10 100g-200g/CO2/km
£30 200g-300g/CO2/km
£50 300g-400g/CO2/km
£100 400g/CO2/km +: £200 (with a further £50 charged for every 100g/CO2/km above 400g/CO2/km)
(a) e. The rates for ‘Bikes’ shall be 80% the amounts provisioned in 4C of this bill.
(a) f. The rates for ‘Commercial Vehicles’ shall be 115% the amounts provisioned in 4C of this bill.
(a) g. The DVLA and DVANI shall have the ability to increase these amounts by CPI + 1% or 5% each year, whichever is smaller.

(5) Vehicle Excise Duty Amendments
(a) a. Current UK based Vehicle Excise Duty Amendments shall be adjusted to ensure that the biggest polluters pay more.
(a) (a) i. The amounts are detailed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

(6) Commencement, short title and extent
(a) a. This Act shall be cited as Teaching Incentives and Bursary Removal Act 2017.
(b) b. This Act shall come into force immediately upon royal assent.
(c) c. This Act extends to the realms as defined in 1.H.

Notes
Definition for VED sourced from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty

Current Road Tax Amounts here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...icles_V149.pdf

S27: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4811854

Due to the complex nature of these measures, the total amount raised will be unclear until implementation; however these amounts will be directed to the aforementioned measures in S27 with the Treasury covering any shortfall under standard Departmental funding proposals in the upcoming budget.

S27 explains that the following will be funded through the provisions in this bill
‘...A £50 million a year fund will be made available to allow councils to ‘greenify’ their housing stock with measures such as solar panels, micro-wind turbines, double glazing and insulation. This will be introduced using funding obtained from the progressive taxation measures listed below…’

‘...A similar scheme provisioned at £50 million a year will be introduced to allow Schools and other Government owned buildings to invest in making their sites more energy efficient, and give each site the chance to utilise renewable energy to reduce energy bills, and the UK government's Carbon Footprint...’

‘...this department will introduce an annual Environment Science competition via the NERC to encourage growth and entrepreneurship in the field. Business and Academia would be able to apply for a £10,000 starter grant to generate research and creative options to ‘greenify’ the UK. The winning research/scheme would win a £1 million annual prize, with further business loans and other options available to encourage these developments into the main streams. This will be funded via progressive taxation measures announced elsewhere within the Statement of Intent…’
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, increasing Vehicle Excise Duty on commercial vehicles will push up the prices of goods hitting the poorest in society the hardest.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this even legal while we remain in the European Union?

I haven't researched it - but I would suspect that overarching EU regulation exists.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have already given my support to this bill.

#Orange_is_the_new_Green
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ns_2)

I haven't researched it - but I would suspect that overarching EU regulation exists.
Under the First Canon Amendment it certainly is. EU law can be freely overwritten by the MHoC.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Under the First Canon Amendment it certainly is. EU law can be freely overwritten by the MHoC.
Thank you for the clarification.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
It can't actually IMO. The wording of canon is different for the devolved legislatures (we act *as* the devolved legislatures where we differ from them, meaning we can ignore devolution issues in legislating), to that for the EU (which merely suggests that legislation will not be invalid for being contrary to the EU, but not that the political impacts of legislating like that can be ignored).
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I have already given my support to this bill.

#Orange_is_the_new_Green
That's handy because #GreenIsTheNewOrange
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by joecphillips)
That's handy because #GreenIsTheNewOrange
Not if you know what I know pal.:smug:
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(6) a This Act shall be cited as Teaching Incentives and Bursary Removal Act 2017. I thought this was the "Vehicle Excise Duty Bill 2017"
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ns_2)

My understanding of the Canon Amendment is how Saracen's Fez interprets it.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
No, increasing Vehicle Excise Duty on commercial vehicles will push up the prices of goods hitting the poorest in society the hardest.
While costs for the poorest will shoot up as a result of catastrophic climate change ruining global production of vital foods. Yeah - I know which one I choose.

(Original post by mr T 999)
(6) a This Act shall be cited as Teaching Incentives and Bursary Removal Act 2017. I thought this was the "Vehicle Excise Duty Bill 2017"
Damn it - I thought I'd changed that - it appears I did not. This will be amended for the second reading - I'd used said bill to steal the TSR formatting to make it actually look like a bill considering that TSR doesn't allow proper formatting.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
It can't actually IMO. The wording of canon is different for the devolved legislatures (we act *as* the devolved legislatures where we differ from them, meaning we can ignore devolution issues in legislating), to that for the EU (which merely suggests that legislation will not be invalid for being contrary to the EU, but not that the political impacts of legislating like that can be ignored).
I disagree here. I also don't see how this is against EU law. There could be an argument about it restricting the free-movement of citizens, but we aren't limiting that. They can move how they wish. From such an interpretation I fail to see how this isn't a legal bill.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
VED is not the way to go anymore - for foreigners or for British citizens.

However, I will be Abstaining
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As always, I support my right honorable friend's ideas for his DEFRA brief - A definite aye!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More feel good taxes harming the poor? What a surprise.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
I disagree here. I also don't see how this is against EU law. There could be an argument about it restricting the free-movement of citizens, but we aren't limiting that. They can move how they wish. From such an interpretation I fail to see how this isn't a legal bill.
Yes, I don't think it's against EU law either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)

I now understand that the Canon Amendment stipulates, through interpretation, that legislation passed in the TSR House will supersede any real-life legislation.

However, I wish to clarify that, were this not the case, this bill would contradict existing legislation specifically Council Directive 83/182/EEC of 28 March 1983 on tax exemptions within the Community for certain means of transport temporarily imported into one Member State from another .

Council Directive 83/182/EEC - Article 3 - Temporary importation of certain means of transport for private use stipulates the following:

Where a private vehicle, caravan, pleasure boat, private aircraft, tricycle or bicycle is imported temporarily, the item imported shall be exempt from the taxes specified in Article 1 for a period, continuous or otherwise, of not more than six months in any 12 months, provided that:
(a) the individual importing such goods:
(aa) has his normal residence in a Member State other than the Member State of temporary importation;
(bb) employs the means of transport in question for his private use;
(b) the said means of transport is not disposed of or hired out in the Member State of temporary importation or lent to a resident of that State. However, private vehicles belonging to a car-hire firm having its head office in the Community may be re-hired to non-residents with a view to being re-exported, if they are in the country as a result of a hire contract which ended in that country. They may also be returned by an employee of the car-hire firm to the Member State where they were originally hired, even if such employee is resident in the Member State of temporary importation.

The Directive also explicitly lists taxes to which the aforementioned applies to in annex - detailing under the subheading of the United Kingdom - Vehicle Excise Duty (Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971).

Regardless, based on the above interpretation of the Canon Amendment, the proposed bill remains legal.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"This Act shall be cited as Teaching Incentives and Bursary Removal Act 2017" - lol wut.

It's nice that this government claims to govern in the interest of everyone, even though this bill hits the poorest in society the hardest. Nay.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ns_2)

I now understand that the Canon Amendment stipulates, through interpretation, that legislation passed in the TSR House will supersede any real-life legislation.

However, I wish to clarify that, were this not the case, this bill would contradict existing legislation specifically Council Directive 83/182/EEC of 28 March 1983 on tax exemptions within the Community for certain means of transport temporarily imported into one Member State from another .

Council Directive 83/182/EEC - Article 3 - Temporary importation of certain means of transport for private use stipulates the following:

Where a private vehicle, caravan, pleasure boat, private aircraft, tricycle or bicycle is imported temporarily, the item imported shall be exempt from the taxes specified in Article 1 for a period, continuous or otherwise, of not more than six months in any 12 months, provided that:
(a) the individual importing such goods:
(aa) has his normal residence in a Member State other than the Member State of temporary importation;
(bb) employs the means of transport in question for his private use;
(b) the said means of transport is not disposed of or hired out in the Member State of temporary importation or lent to a resident of that State. However, private vehicles belonging to a car-hire firm having its head office in the Community may be re-hired to non-residents with a view to being re-exported, if they are in the country as a result of a hire contract which ended in that country. They may also be returned by an employee of the car-hire firm to the Member State where they were originally hired, even if such employee is resident in the Member State of temporary importation.

The Directive also explicitly lists taxes to which the aforementioned applies to in annex - detailing under the subheading of the United Kingdom - Vehicle Excise Duty (Vehicles (Excise) Act 1971).

Regardless, based on the above interpretation of the Canon Amendment, the proposed bill remains legal.
Legality aside - increased taxation, through any mechanism, is not the way forward. Nay.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
aye
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads