The Nightingale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Oh my goodness! This has turned into quite a discussion...

Thanks for the replies...

The mistakes were typing errors. Someone mentioned that the sentence didn't make sense. I'm not sure it makes any difference, but it originally said:

Despite this, there is contrasting evidence to suggest that more lone parent families would work if the government were to provide greater child care facilities.
It was response to a question in Sociology. Just before that sentence, I'd been talking about the fact that there’s evidence to suggest that children of lone parents are more likely to participate in crime etc.

Does that make sense now? Or do you think I need to rephrase it?
dh00001
Badges: 16
Report 12 years ago
were
dh00001
Report 12 years ago
damn it too slow :p: 30 seconds :mad:
The Solitary Reaper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
British English tends to use the plural form - "were" - with a collective noun, whereas American English tends to the singular - "was".
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

^ I actually thought the same (that English in general used plural), but it appears not.

Anyway, this is actually a question about the subjunctive, as the other posters have pointed out.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
British English tends to use the plural form - "were" - with a collective noun, whereas American English tends to the singular - "was".
No, just so that nobody is confused by this. This has nothing to do with collective nouns. It is about the mood of a verb, as other posters have said.

In any event, the use of google to establish the correctness of something like this, based on the number of hits, is very dodgy.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Solitary Reaper)
"Were" isn't a plural. It's a subjunctive.
sio06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know I dont belong to this forum, is there anyone that is willing to go through my application forms (jobs etc) and check to see if there any grammatical mistakes etc.. I am willing to pay if anyone has Paypal, so please reply if youre interested as soon as possible!
The Solitary Reaper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ooh my mistake then - and my English teacher's! You learn something new every day; my apologies.
Kagutsuchi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
were.
francescarella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
were

english students unite! yay!
Da Bachtopus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
In any event, the use of google to establish the correctness of something like this, based on the number of hits, is very dodgy.
I'm not claiming it's establishing anything, and wouldn't cite it over a grammar. Though I don't see why you think Google can't provide useful illustrations of standard usages. Surely it shows that a significantly larger number of pages based in the UK (yes, presumably written by British people) treat "the government" as singular rather than plural? You can repeat the same test, with the same result, using "was/were".
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
No, just so that nobody is confused by this. This has nothing to do with collective nouns. It is about the mood of a verb, as other posters have said.

you'd be surprised. i've seen various grammarians, all university professors, use google to decide which is a correct form of a word, and this was for a grammar heavy language: Icelandic.

grammarians often decide which is the correct version by what is most common. that said, they have to be descriptivists and not perscriptivists.

perscriptivists will say the older rules are more correct. in which case i say we go back to speaking Saxon. anyone who wants to keep the old rules of our grammar is clearly missing the point that our language got to where it is due to evolution, mistakes and *******isation of words. english use to be a case language. [/rant] sorry bout that, totally off topic i know.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hylean)
you'd be surprised. i've seen various grammarians, all university professors, use google to decide which is a correct form of a word, and this was for a grammar heavy language: Icelandic.

grammarians often decide which is the correct version by what is most common. that said, they have to be descriptivists and not perscriptivists.
There's something to be said for prescriptivism when it's clear to current English speakers that the majority of current English speakers can't speak good English, though.
Hylean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
There's something to be said for prescriptivism when it's clear to current English speakers that the majority of current English speakers can't speak good English, though.
True, but is it "can't" or "won't"? If I wanted to I could speak the Queen's English and my grammar would be nigh on perfect. Do I want to? Hell no. That would mean that I would be speaking ridiculously formally and it would sound strange to everyone around. I know I don't speak grammatically correct English, quite happy bout it too.

I think those who are championing sticking to the old rules should ask themselves this question: "what is language for?"

That all said, I am not asking for a language revolution here.

"Down with verb conjugation!" *ahem* >_> <_<
username62978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's were. I'm more interested in the first bit though:

"There is contrasting evidence to suggest that more lone parents families would work"

That doesn't make sense to me (where are the nouns? adjectives? plurals?)
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is contrasting evidence to suggest that more lone parents families would work, and ultimately better their circumstances, if the government were to provide greater child care facilties
I'm more asking rather than telling, but is the space between 'child' and 'care' really required?

Also, just in case you copied that segment directly from your work, facilities is spelt incorrectly :shy2:
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe. I bet the OP didn't expect this. Perhaps the quotation was all about universities and it is a typo for "faculties". And, of course, it should be "lone parent" rather than "lone parents".
username62978
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And if you're being pedantic there should be a hyphen between lone and parent, e.g. lone-parent
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would certainly use one, but wouldn't die in a ditch over it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (178)
28.48%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.28%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.32%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.16%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.2%

Watched Threads