The Student Room Group

A Level Further Maths

About to start college, will be studying Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My college handles Further Maths by doubling up Maths in Year 1, and so I will have a Maths A Level (hopefully). And then the same again for Further Maths in Year 2. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not particularly worried about difficulty, but how was overall workload, and how did it feel to have completed a full A Level in a year?
Original post by TomMooney
About to start college, will be studying Computer Science, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My college handles Further Maths by doubling up Maths in Year 1, and so I will have a Maths A Level (hopefully). And then the same again for Further Maths in Year 2. Has anyone else experienced this? I am not particularly worried about difficulty, but how was overall workload, and how did it feel to have completed a full A Level in a year?

I completed full A-level maths in year 12 and will be doing full A-level further maths in year 13. We did C1/2 and S1 before Christmas and C3/4 and M1 from January to April.

The AS module content is a lot more straightforward, and so the work was not very hard up to Christmas. Afterwards, it got a bit more intense as the content becomes a bit harder conceptually, though after a half-hour of practise you find that techniques you learn are all actually pretty easy to use. Then it was a case of doing lots of past papers before the exams: these took up quite a lot of time, but I enjoy maths so it was not that much of a bother (though it did get a bit tedious at times). You find that the exam papers tend to repeat similar questions, so it becomes pretty straightforward.

However, you may be doing the new linear specification. If that is the case, you will be learning a bit more applied maths (statistics and mechanics) and the specimen papers look to have a few more non-standard questions. Either way, you'll probably be taught AS content from September to December and A2 content afterwards, so a light beginning getting gradually more intense, but manageable if you enjoy maths.

God luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
I completed full A-level maths in year 12 and will be doing full A-level further maths in year 13. We did C1/2 and S1 before Christmas and C3/4 and M1 from January to April.

The AS module content is a lot more straightforward, and so the work was not very hard up to Christmas. Afterwards, it got a bit more intense as the content becomes a bit harder conceptually, though after a half-hour of practise you find that techniques you learn are all actually pretty easy to use. Then it was a case of doing lots of past papers before the exams: these took up quite a lot of time, but I enjoy maths so it was not that much of a bother (though it did get a bit tedious at times). You find that the exam papers tend to repeat similar questions, so it becomes pretty straightforward.

However, you may be doing the new linear specification. If that is the case, you will be learning a bit more applied maths (statistics and mechanics) and the specimen papers look to have a few more non-standard questions. Either way, you'll probably be taught AS content from September to December and A2 content afterwards, so a light beginning getting gradually more intense, but manageable if you enjoy maths.

God luck! :smile:

Thank you, definitely made me feel much better about this.
Thank you, definitely made me feel much better about this.

Just two points to add:

I've made A-level maths almost sound easy, since that was my experience of it, but most people struggle when doing it over two years let along just one. if you found GCSE maths really easy, then A-level maths is not much harder. If you struggled through GCSE maths, then A-level maths will be very difficult.

Also, make sure your algebra is top notch: questions are usually longer than at GCSE and so having a secure fluency with algebra is essential, and makes it easier to apply the techniques.

Again, good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Just two points to add:

I've made A-level maths almost sound easy, since that was my experience of it, but most people struggle when doing it over two years let along just one. if you found GCSE maths really easy, then A-level maths is not much harder. If you struggled through GCSE maths, then A-level maths will be very difficult.

Also, make sure your algebra is top notch: questions are usually longer than at GCSE and so having a secure fluency with algebra is essential, and makes it easier to apply the techniques.

Again, good luck! :smile:

I was going to say I found it easy, but didn't want to sound like an ass in my original question. Got a 9 in maths with pretty much no revision, and an A in further maths.

Good luck with your Further Maths :smile:
I was going to say I found it easy, but didn't want to sound like an ass in my original question. Got a 9 in maths with pretty much no revision, and an A in further maths.

Good luck with your Further Maths :smile:

Fantastic results, well done!

And thanks haha, I've been self-teaching some AS further maths over the summer and it's not actually that bad either. However, I have heard that A2 further maths is actually very hard... I guess I'll find out soon!
My friend's school does this too, so I don't think it's particularly uncommon. My school just does the normal way of studying them at them at the same time, half each year.

Quick Reply

Latest