GCSE Geography or Business Studies? Need help!

Watch
BlazingYato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Going into Year 10 this year, and for one of my GCSEs, I picked Geography over Business Studies. However, over the holidays, I've been thinking and I'm not so sure if I'd made the right choice. I'm terrible at Geography yet picked it because I thought it would be more useful than Business Studies while looking for a job, and also because unis actually look at your GCSEs and having a Geography GCSE over Business looked much better. I think I have 2 weeks after school starts to change any subjects I'm unhappy with, so do you think I should change Geography to Business Studies?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BlazingYato)
Going into Year 10 this year, and for one of my GCSEs, I picked Geography over Business Studies. However, over the holidays, I've been thinking and I'm not so sure if I'd made the right choice. I'm terrible at Geography yet picked it because I thought it would be more useful than Business Studies while looking for a job, and also because unis actually look at your GCSEs and having a Geography GCSE over Business looked much better. I think I have 2 weeks after school starts to change any subjects I'm unhappy with, so do you think I should change Geography to Business Studies?
Given my experiences at GCSE (I have just finished my GCSEs this Summer), I'm pretty confident that you have to pick a Humanities based subject as one of your options: History or Geography. If that's the case, I would go for a subject you feel comfortable with and have interest in rather than just doing it for the sake of it. GCSE Business Studies is somewhat useful but you can study that at A Level or alternatively do A Level Economics which is similar. Hope that helps.
SassyBelle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At GCSE level you take such a mixture, as long as your other options are pretty strong then no university would hold Business against you. Besides it's much better to have an A* in business on your application than a U in geography. Take what you enjoy or you will detest that subject by the end and not want to revise which will lead to a lower grade. Hope that helps 😊
ns_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
you have to pick a Humanities based subject as one of your options
You don't have to pick a humanities based subject as one of your options, although it is most certain implied and the vast majority of people do end up picking one - along with a modern foreign language - I personally didn't bother with a MFL.

Regardless, if your school offers Business and Economics GCSE, I would certainly recommend taking it over Geography - especially if you have no interest in either.

If your school does not offer an Economics GCSE, I would tend towards to Geography - I am currently taking Geography B from Edexcel and I have to admit that the physical geography element of it is boring and extremely-knowledge/information heavy. However, the human geography is very good and more of an understanding-based subject rather than
BlazingYato
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll most likely be dropping Geography and taking Business instead because, as CoffeeAndPolitics said, I shouldn't take Geography for the sake of it, and as SassyBelle said, you take a strong mixture of subjects, as well as the fact that the amount of work needed to be put into Geography will most likely have an impact on the rest of my subjects. Thanks again everyone!
Llli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes, I think you should because I had done the exact same thing and trust me business is way better and plus you can find a job in minutes or even be your own manager
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (186)
43.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.76%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
20.94%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (43)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed