Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

No forum for us yet so I thought I'd start one...

Has anyone started preparing yet? What sort of marks are we aiming for to get to interview?

Also, has anyone done anything for the essay yet?

----

Mod reminder...

Please remember: Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.

This, however, does not mean all discussion about these exams will be restricted: it's okay to talk about having just sat the test, or whether or not you found it difficult. What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another.

See: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792

ReputationRep:
    I bought "The Ultimate TSA Guide" and have been working through those questions all of August...I did a paper as a baseline early on and got 61.1 (or 30/50) which was not very good that year. Though I did another one not too long ago and got 67.3 (35/50) which was pretty good that year so if I could replicate that I'd be more than happy. 70+ would be the dream ofc which is usually like 38-40/50.

I just started doing essay stuff. I came up with a model structure, and have practiced like 3 essays just to get an idea of timing/structure/paragraph lengths but not much more. Planning on doing essay stuff later but you can't really self-mark so it's always a bit limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamesAreEffort)
    I bought "The Ultimate TSA Guide" and have been working through those questions all of August...I did a paper as a baseline early on and got 61.1 (or 30/50) which was not very good that year. Though I did another one not too long ago and got 67.3 (35/50) which was pretty good that year so if I could replicate that I'd be more than happy. 70+ would be the dream ofc which is usually like 38-40/50.

I just started doing essay stuff. I came up with a model structure, and have practiced like 3 essays just to get an idea of timing/structure/paragraph lengths but not much more. Planning on doing essay stuff later but you can't really self-mark so it's always a bit limited.
    Hi! I've done all the past papers online and I bought the same book. Only recently I managed to get 70+, but I still think that it is to a large extent random. However, I am really struggling with the essay, although I've already written two. Any advice? Also, what are you going to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a similar position. How did you work out the marks based on /50?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering too; how much point would 30/35/40 usually get me?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, i m applying for ppe

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford TSA website always has a converter for raw marks to score per year bcos it's always slightly different so I just use that.

I usually also then find the PPE Keble admissions round data for that year because it usually states either a 'good' mark, rhe median or what was essentially the cutoff to get a rough idea of how I did relatively. Though if people cba, though it differs by year, 34-36 is probably average for someone given an interview. 40 is almost always very good, 30 is on the low end. But don't count me on this, its kinda anecdotal.

Essay wise...as far as the TSA alone no idea. But in general I'm pretty good at essays because I make model structures and have set criteria for each paragraph so I'm gonna attempt the same for the TSA...I guess unless I get it marked I'll never know how good my essays are but at least I can gauge how tight it is structure wise...that's my logic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Francois29)
    By the way, i m applying for ppe
    As far as I'm concerned PPE requires relatively high scores. Try to aim at 38-40 for an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totor0)
    As far as I'm concerned PPE requires relatively high scores. Try to aim at 38-40 for an interview
    Median tsa score of a successful applicant 3 years ago was 66.3, which that year was 34. 40 is ludicrously high.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DingusDongus)
    Median tsa score of a successful applicant 3 years ago was 66.3, which that year was 34. 40 is ludicrously high.
    Well of course, other factors play a role too, but I don't think that a 40 is unattainable, with a lot of practice. I believe we should aim as high as possible, because you never know what will happen at the actual exam. Stress for example, could result in a lower score than that expected, so it is good to have a bit of "space" and score consistently higher than average. At least that's the strategy I'm using

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've seen a lot of fearmongering in recent TSA threads about how it's impossible to prepare for this particular exam and the first time I did it I got only 29/50 on the specimen paper so I was feeling doomed. But later on ( after reading Think you can think) I got 38 on two past papers. However, I'm stuggling a bit on problem solving, I usually get 17-18/25. Has anyone else been struggling with problem solving? Perhaps people have any advice on where (besides doing tsa) to get more tasks like the ones in the TSA. Obviously, my overall score is not bad but I'd like to reach into 40s/50 as I'm applying to a quite competetive course (PPE).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to do Q43,46,48 in the 2009 paper? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! Does anyone have any advice for the flaws and assumptions type of questions??

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Economics Management and have heard loads of different things; do I have to do Section 1 and 2? Do I have to do the HAT, does anyone know??

ReputationRep:
    Never mind, I've figured it out, I have to do Section 1 and 2

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else slightly panicked about section 2?

Has anyone got any tips?

I think I'm most worried about it four RANDOM questions... how do you find several good points for a subject you know vaguely?

ReputationRep:
    Starting to prepare now. Will need my TSA for E&M.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I'm not sitting the TSA but there's a page on Facebook for all Oxford applicants and there's a group of us who then made a messenger group chat to get to know each other if you wish to join here's a link:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/129353...?ref=bookmarks

ReputationRep:
    Can we start Section 2 straight after Section 1 or are they given at separate times etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchieThackray)
    Can we start Section 2 straight after Section 1 or are they given at separate times etc.?
    Section 2 questions are only provided after Section 1 is finished, i.e. 90 minutes have passed, at least that's how it was for me last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.