username2772886
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anyone who has studied Accounting and Finance or is in their second year, have any advice for a first year?Any useful books I should read before going to uni or any advice about things to look out for would be very useful and much appreciated ))
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Peace and blessings,

I have my undergraduate degree, (Bachelors of Science) in accounting. I think one thing I wish I had been told was NOT to fall behind on any exercise/practice sheet components of the course. Accounting, in particular, is VERY unforgiving when you fall behind, and if this is your first experience learning Accounting, it is very important to stay current (and to the extent you can, I would highly suggest trying to get a bit ahead on weekends, too.), not just with the readings, but with actual practice on the balance sheets, working papers-some of which will seem tedious, but if you can stay current, it will really help. Financial accounting will include some basics on finance,calculating compounding interests, and achieving a good understanding of those concepts, from the outset, will be critical when it comes time to get into specific study of corporation finance and investments later on. As a point of over emphasis, early mastery of the practice papers, knowing how to track assets, liabilities, owners equity, revenues, and expense (known as ALORE) is essential, and if you master those early concepts, literally, while a student, you could perhaps work in book-keeping part, time, in a hotel, for example-this area is a core foundation.

I'm going to give you two recommendations, both are "old school"-but I found them both highly useful. (and best of all, they have nothing to do with accounting per se-so they will be a welcome divergence), but do have much to do with aspects of general business (and in the case of the second book, finance, too.)

1)The Art of War-Sun Tzu-which is seen as a critical book in business, management, finance, and other circles(and is still used by some military systems around the world in terms of strategy and being required reading.)

https://www.amazon.com/Art-War-Sun-T...+of+war+cleary

2)The E-Myth - Michael Gerber:
https://www.amazon.com/Myth-Revisite.../dp/0887307280

(Original post by artemis_sprds)
Anyone who has studied Accounting and Finance or is in their second year, have any advice for a first year?Any useful books I should read before going to uni or any advice about things to look out for would be very useful and much appreciated ))
username2772886
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
luq_ali Thank you very much for the suggestions of the books, they have just been added to my kindle! However I'd like to ask, in your opinion, how could I prepare in the next 3-4 weeks before uni starts, so as to have a smoother transition?
luq_ali
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sure, do you already know which classes/modules you will be taking, and if so, do they have any suggested reading list? What is your core accounting class going to be, and is there already a book for it that you could get in advance? I would say, that is going to be a good place to start-with that core accounting book, and if you had the time, to do some reading, if there were some reading lists, from there, too.

If you do any reading in these remaining 3-4 weeks, please do so without putting any pressure on yourself to understand and grasp everything you are reading. Rather, read it to expose yourself to a new way of thinking in terms of concepts and framework, read -especially if its the actual textbook you'll be using in the uni-reading that to expose yourself to the material in advance, so that as the teacher is going through it in lectures, that little light of "ah, now I see"-will come on. I've known of people, who did their international bachelors for secondary school, in accounting, only to arrive at uni, and within the first 6-8 weeks, shot past all they had learned in 3-4 years. BUT-you will be in a different position, you will be exposing yourself to materials that are the actual component of the course-in advance. Again, you don't have to get everything or understand it-no pressure, no expectations, just do the reading, approach it with that casual approach, and I promise you, it will be putting you ahead of the game.

(Original post by artemis_sprds)
luq_ali Thank you very much for the suggestions of the books, they have just been added to my kindle! However I'd like to ask, in your opinion, how could I prepare in the next 3-4 weeks before uni starts, so as to have a smoother transition?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.99%
I need help researching courses (7)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.19%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
24.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.9%

Watched Threads