hoynaf
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I recently got my A2 results and although I didn't exactly fail they were not what I needed to get into my insurance and firm. As a result I have decided to retake my A levels, but I'm finding it difficult to find a college that would take me as they are saying that I won't be funded. Can anyone please give me some advice or recommend a place where I can retake year 13. (BTW private colleges are out of the question because I can't afford it)
Ruby1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hoynaf)
So I recently got my A2 results and although I didn't exactly fail they were not what I needed to get into my insurance and firm. As a result I have decided to retake my A levels, but I'm finding it difficult to find a college that would take me as they are saying that I won't be funded. Can anyone please give me some advice or recommend a place where I can retake year 13. (BTW private colleges are out of the question because I can't afford it)
If you can't afford a private college and no sixth form/college can take you, your best bet is to probably home teach yourself the A levels and sit the exams as a private candidate? This ofc rules out subjects with a coursework element
wonderuss
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Other than that ^ you can also take an Access to HE course which will get you into university just as A Levels would
hoynaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruby1997)
If you can't afford a private college and no sixth form/college can take you, your best bet is to probably home teach yourself the A levels and sit the exams as a private candidate? This ofc rules out subjects with a coursework element
Oh no! The exam I really need to improve on is History which includes course work. Is there any possible way to get around this. Thank you for your advice
Ruby1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh no! The exam I really need to improve on is History which includes course work. Is there any possible way to get around this. Thank you for your advice
I'm not 100% sure - when I resat English Lit I had to accept the coursework grade I achieved in the year I sat at sixth form, then just resat the exam. So my A2 grade was my original A2 coursework grade + my A2 exam resit grade (if that makes sense?!😅) I can imagine it'd be the same for history, it's worth checking with your college - they've probably had people who did the same as me and therefore can advise you!
Assuming your A2 coursework grade was good, you should be fine to just resit the A2 exam!
hoynaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ruby1997)
I'm not 100% sure - when I resat English Lit I had to accept the coursework grade I achieved in the year I sat at sixth form, then just resat the exam. So my A2 grade was my original A2 coursework grade + my A2 exam resit grade (if that makes sense?!😅) I can imagine it'd be the same for history, it's worth checking with your college - they've probably had people who did the same as me and therefore can advise you!
Assuming your A2 coursework grade was good, you should be fine to just resit the A2 exam!
By coursework grade wasn't that bad and I would be fine to keep it. But I was wondering on how your experience was on retaking as I'm most likely going to be self- studying and I am anxious as I know I will be completely on my own and would have no one to give me extra support if I get confused on a certain topic .
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
As suggested by Ruby, then you will most likely need to resit as a private candidate and teach yourself. In terms of coursework then you should contact the exam board and ask how its dealt with. You may need to find a teacher who is willing to authenticate and submit it to the exam board. Your previous History teacher may agree to do this.

There appear to be set procedures in place.

This is for AQA with contact details, although you can look up yourself for other exam boards. the important point is such a procedure exists.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...ursework-units
Ruby1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By coursework grade wasn't that bad and I would be fine to keep it. But I was wondering on how your experience was on retaking as I'm most likely going to be self- studying and I am anxious as I know I will be completely on my own and would have no one to give me extra support if I get confused on a certain topic .
In that case - you should be able to carry your coursework grade over & not resit it - but you'll need to double check with the exam board/college!
My experience was quite good - as you've already done a year of history you should have the exam and essay writing technique skills to a good level!
For English Lit A2, it was very similar to history in that I had to learn a lot of historical context. I just revised in the same way I did at A2 and wrote essays using essay titles of past papers and occasionally making up essay titles which could potentially come up.
Doing it on my own without a teacher was quite scAry in that I wasn't receiving feedback but it wasn't too bad. I was also lucky in that I had a good A2 English teacher who offered to look at my essays or answer any questions via email despite me not being at school anymore! Is there a teacher like that at your college/school who may be able to help you via email on certain topics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads