If I want badges I'll join the Boy Scouts...

Watch
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Unless you're giving me sweet confectionery to sell to my neighbors, or teaching me how to tie different types of knots, I'll pass on the badges.

Childish and ridiculous incentive to promote users to be active.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK, you can join here:

http://scouts.org.uk/home/ :dontknow:

But seriously, like I said before - they're just a bit of fun - you're not obliged to collect them or take any notice - so I don't really see why there's any point getting worked up about it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by King Leonidas)
Unless you're giving me sweet confectionery to sell to my neighbors, or teaching me how to tie different types of knots, I'll pass on the badges.

Childish and ridiculous incentive to promote users to be active.
I'd rather see measures to retain the longstanding, established users who've left TSR for Reddit in their droves over the past year than this initiative which only reinforces the notion that TSR is actually more and more a website for children.

Yes, we need new blood. But we also need some established, grown-up users who actually have something to say other than 'Are 14 A*s enough for Cambridge/he put two kisses on a message, does this mean he wants to marry me/Is 5'11" too short'.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'd rather see measures to retain the longstanding, established users who've left TSR for Reddit in their droves over the past year than this initiative which only reinforces the notion that TSR is actually more and more a website for children.

Yes, we need new blood. But we also need some established, grown-up users who actually have something to say other than 'Are 14 A*s enough for Cambridge/he put two kisses on a message, does this mean he wants to marry me/Is 5'11" too short'.
I completely agree.

I kind of the knew changes to this site would drag it down when they abolished negative reputation because users were getting too butt hurt. Also, the interface update that made TSR resemble a hybrid between Bitesize and Cbeebies.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I gotta say, I absolutely love the badges! They may seem childish to you, but that doesn't mean they do to the other users on TSR, and I like the fact that they encourage people to get involved :love:

At the end of the day for those that want to collect them then they're a fun challenge, and for those who don't, it doesn't really impact your use of the site at all.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by King Leonidas)
made TSR resemble a hybrid between Bitesize and Cbeebies.
:rofl: I just spat some coffee over the cat at that
Deyesy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)

Not really. When you're a young adult, you do actually worry about these things. I know we all get slightly frustrated by some of the hyperbolic language used but it's called 'The Student Room' for a reason. Alot of people are fond of the badges, they do no harm and encourage people to post - where is the harm in that?
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paracosm)
OK, you can join here:

But seriously, like I said before - they're just a bit of fun - you're not obliged to collect them or take any notice - so I don't really see why there's any point getting worked up about it.
As a member of the TSR support team I wouldn't expect you to openly criticise the change to be honest, but please don't patrionise those that wish to do so.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK, you can join here:

Because it suggests a lot of time is spent working on ideas like this which don't appear to actually do anything.

(Original post by Deyesy)
they do ... encourage people to post
Do they though? Any quantifiable proof of that?

Who posts to gain badges, rather than just post because they want to involve themselves in a particular conversation?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not really. When you're a young adult, you do actually worry about these things. I know we all get slightly frustrated by some of the hyperbolic language used but it's called 'The Student Room' for a reason. Alot of people are fond of the badges, they do no harm and encourage people to post - where is the harm in that?
Also, can confirm I am (apparently) a grown-up who still wants the badges, so it's not just the young-uns it encourages! :mmm:
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not really. When you're a young adult, you actually do worry about these things. It's called 'The Student Room' for a reason. Alot of people are fond of the badges, they do no harm and encourage people to post - where is the harm in that?
I've already said elsewhere they're harmless. If you're a young adult who 'worries' about the number of TSR badges you've collected, then I think that's evidence enough for shutting the lid of the computer and getting outside a bit more.

I don't actually buy this notion that they 'encourage people to post'. If you need encouraging to post by dangling a non-existant 'prize' in front of you, then we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. I haven't actually seen any quantifiable evidence of this, either.

Difference of opinion. That's what makes TSR TSR, isn't it.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Because it suggests a lot of time is spent working on ideas like this which don't appear to actually do anything.

Who posts to gain badges, rather than just post because they want to involve themselves in a particular conversation?
Use rep as a case study. People are obsessed with it and post to earn it all of the time, there's even cult-like levels of 'fame' associated with each level of rep. You may not care - and that's completely fine - but there are others that do and that do see a point in it.

I can see no negative outcome to the extension of the pre-existing badges feature.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aw. I saw I have six badges this morning. Slight pulse of excitement. For a nano second. Whale hello??? Really?
DocWho49
Report 3 years ago
I am an adult and I want all the badges :P
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
they do...encourage people to post
I was just awarded 12 badges for doing nothing.

How's that encouraging me to post?
Deyesy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I can vouch for alot of the support team :lol: Again, what harm do they do? I don't understand the negativity.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?

Don't bother asking for that, you will not get it or it'll be complete bogus.
Elizabeth II
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

You're being awarded them retrospectively.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Aw. I saw I have six badges this morning. Slight pulse of excitement. For a nano second. Whale hello??? Really?
Ngl I'm quite jealous of those who got 'Whale Hello' - I love puns, but I can't get that one now :lol:

You weren't awarded them for doing nothing though; they're given retrospectively. So you've done just as much as the people it encourages to post still!
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're being awarded them retrospectively.
So surely that means that a longstanding member like Drewski isnt' being incentivised to post further by these badges, given he's been awarded most of them retrospectively. And isn't encouraging people to post one of the main reasons for the new badges in the first place?

Just sayin'. Don't hate me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.33%
No - I have already returned home (55)
13.32%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.61%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.69%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
29.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise