The Student Room Group

Is 4 A-Levels too much?

I don't want to apply to uni until after i've got my A Level results the coming summer (I sat AS this summer). I don't want to apply because I don't know if I want to do Biochemistry, Chemistry or Modern Languages and i'm taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at the moment. I enjoy all of them so much and just can't decide what to drop, it's stressing me out a lot. I also did fine in them all at AS. Can anyone who has done 4 tell me how heavy the workload is, if you regret doing 4, your results, why you carried on 4 etc and also did you do an EPQ/
Original post by Lucofthewoods
I don't want to apply to uni until after i've got my A Level results the coming summer (I sat AS this summer). I don't want to apply because I don't know if I want to do Biochemistry, Chemistry or Modern Languages and i'm taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at the moment. I enjoy all of them so much and just can't decide what to drop, it's stressing me out a lot. I also did fine in them all at AS. Can anyone who has done 4 tell me how heavy the workload is, if you regret doing 4, your results, why you carried on 4 etc and also did you do an EPQ/

I didn't do 4 A levels myself but I did do Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A level and it was very full on with a lot of stuff to learn ! It honestly depends on how well you think you will cope with the workload. It definitely would be easier taking 3 but if you really love all 4 then I don't see why not as you'd be enjoying what you're doing so it would be easier to study for :smile:
When you say that you did fine at AS, did you meet your targets by a sizeable margin, or where they closer? If you struggled a little with the workload, or are in danger of not finishing with a good grade in one of them at A2, then dropping one may indeed be a possibility. Which is your strongest preference out of biochemistry, chemistry and modern languages?

I did do at least 4, and I thought the workload was challenging at times, but manageable. In hindsight, I only really needed to take three to meet my offers, and a lot of that time spent taking on as much work as I did could have perhaps been spent doing other things. I did an EPQ, which was also unnecessary, but I at least found it more stimulating than some of my A-level modules, and I don't regret doing it -- it wasn't as much work as a regular A-level, and I had a lot of fun pursuing something which I had a genuine, passionate interest in at that stage. (My grades are in my profile.)
Reply 3
By all means do four if you enjoy all four subjects :smile: I was initially doing Maths, Chem, Bio, and French (Basically the same as you), but by December decided to drop Biology as I found that it was a lot of content to learn on top of three other A Levels. If you think that doing four subjects will result in compromising your grades, then I would advise you to stick with three, as universities only require three A Levels. Perhaps look at the entry requirements at some unis for all three of the courses you are considering and if, for example, none of them require A Level Maths then you could drop that without restricting yourself.
Also, have you looked into a combined degree? There are combinations of most subjects so you may be able to do Chemistry with a Modern Language for instance.

Hope that was of some help!

Quick Reply

Latest