Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody going to Northumbria Uni? I'm doing Primary Ed. and am v. worried. Could really do with some idea of what to expect. :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to Northumbria, but I do live in Newcastle during the hols, so I could tell you a bit about that if you like.

The campus is about 2 minutes walk from the main shopping street (Northumberland Street) upon which there are lots of the shops that you get in every city - Marks & Spencer, HMV, Superdrug etc. Just off this street is Eldon Square, the shopping centre which contains more of the same. There is a street called High Bridge Street which I would recommend that you check out as it has the more, uh, student-y shops and one of the best vintage clothes shops in the country, Attica (according to Dazed and Confused, The Telegraph, The Times and many others). There are 2 cinemas - The Odeon (aka "The Gate) huge, neon and full of blockbusters and the Tyneside (more arthouse and foreign films). Above the Tyneside are the Tyneside Tea Rooms, delicious food and relatively inexpensive (Try the carrot cake, I guarantee you'll love it).

In terms of pubs and bars, check out www.theburglarsdog.co.uk for honest reviews of the city centre's bars by a native Geordie. I've been to most of 'em, and he's spot on.

The university has its own Student Union which has some excellent bands on, and if you feel like being a bit traitorous you can go to Newcastle Uni's union too.

Plenty of museums and art galleries, some more intersting than others, and the petting zoo in Jesmond Dene is worth a visit purely to see the pygmy goat!

All in all, I think living there all the time jades you a bit, but all the students that I've met who come into the city seem to love it. Personally, I'm a bit fed up with it, but that's why I study somewhere else!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, KV. Your info won't help me on my course, but at least i'll know where to go to drown my sorrows if it's crap!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.