username3508706
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I love London and couldn't imagine going to uni anywhere else. I am applying for History to start in 2018. I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Birkbeck. My question is, if I don't get offers and find myself in clearing (I hope not!) what other London universities are good for History?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by natalie1789)
I love London and couldn't imagine going to uni anywhere else. I am applying for History to start in 2018. I'm applying to KCL, UCL, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway and Birkbeck. My question is, if I don't get offers and find myself in clearing (I hope not!) what other London universities are good for History?
LSE of course, but they won't be in clearing. The only others I would suggest would be Goldsmiths and SOAS, though the latter obviously has a specific focus which might not be for you.

I assume you are aware of Birkbeck's unique teaching arrangements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3508706
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
LSE of course, but they won't be in clearing. The only others I would suggest would be Goldsmiths and SOAS, though the latter obviously has a specific focus which might not be for you.

I assume you are aware of Birkbeck's unique teaching arrangements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
LSE are fantastic of course, but I didn't like the open day so took it off the table. I do know Birkbeck are an evening university. This could work in my favour in that I have seen a lot of volunteering opportunities at museums in London. It could help me get my foot in the door that much quicker.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LSE are fantastic of course, but I didn't like the open day so took it off the table. I do know Birkbeck are an evening university. This could work in my favour in that I have seen a lot of volunteering opportunities at museums in London. It could help me get my foot in the door that much quicker.
Good, I've seen people on here completely unaware of that fact! Hopefully extra or clearing won't be needed anyway...!
username3508706
Rep:
?
Good, I've seen people on here completely unaware of that fact! Hopefully extra or clearing won't be needed anyway...!
I think it takes a certain kind of person to go to Birkbeck, it isn't for everyone and that's ok.
I do have my heart set on King's though if I'm honest.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it takes a certain kind of person to go to Birkbeck, it isn't for everyone and that's ok.
I do have my heart set on King's though if I'm honest.
KCL was my joint second choice years ago, though the course has changed a fair bit since then. I was particularly interested in the war studies element, which is now a separate course.
username3508706
Rep:
?
KCL was my joint second choice years ago, though the course has changed a fair bit since then. I was particularly interested in the war studies element, which is now a separate course.
They do have a joint degree in War Studies & History now. I was tempted to apply, but since starting my Access course and having to do work on The Holocaust etc, I really don't feel I would like to continue that side of history. I am interested more in modules like: The Black Death in England, Power, Belief and Culture in Europe 1500-1800, French Imperialism since 1750 etc. Both King's and Royal Holloway have some interesting modules.

What is it you went on to do? What university?
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imperial College London
username3508706
Rep:
?
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
Imperial College London
Imperial doesn't offer humanities subjects. Imperial focuses exclusively on science, engineering, medicine and business.
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imperial doesn't offer humanities subjects. Imperial focuses exclusively on science, engineering, medicine and business.
Exactly
username3508706
Rep:
?
Exactly
Well that isn't much use to someone who plans to study History. Thanks all the same though.
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well that isn't much use to someone who plans to study History. Thanks all the same though.
Lmao sorry wrong thread
username2752874
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lmao sorry wrong thread
Queen Mary is prob the next best uni in London after the ones you've mentioned
username3508706
Rep:
?
Queen Mary is prob the next best uni in London after the ones you've mentioned
Haha! No worries. Queen Mary is already on my list lol. Are you half asleep or a bit drunk?
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I study History as a joint honours with English at Queen Mary. The History department at Queen Mary is brilliant. Some of the lecturers at Queen Mary are well known historians who regularly write publications. There is also a diverse range of different types of history you can study.

To give you an indication, so far I have studied Medieval History, South Africa, eugenics, intellectual history, ww1, medicinal history, and civil rights in America.

The lecturers are also really helpful and give you really good feedback on your coursework.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Possibles are Greenwich, Roehampton, Goldsmiths.

PS. How to Avoid 5 Rejections - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Look at the advice about applying to Unis with a range of grade requirements from the start - this avoids exactly the scenario you are describing.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They do have a joint degree in War Studies & History now. I was tempted to apply, but since starting my Access course and having to do work on The Holocaust etc, I really don't feel I would like to continue that side of history. I am interested more in modules like: The Black Death in England, Power, Belief and Culture in Europe 1500-1800, French Imperialism since 1750 etc. Both King's and Royal Holloway have some interesting modules.

What is it you went on to do? What university?
History at York.

By all means take note of the advice above but you already have a good spread. Being realistic, are you on track for King's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3508706
Rep:
?
(Original post by constantine2016)
I study History as a joint honours with English at Queen Mary. The History department at Queen Mary is brilliant. Some of the lecturers at Queen Mary are well known historians who regularly write publications. There is also a diverse range of different types of history you can study.

To give you an indication, so far I have studied Medieval History, South Africa, eugenics, intellectual history, ww1, medicinal history, and civil rights in America.

The lecturers are also really helpful and give you really good feedback on your coursework.
Thank you for your input. Exactly the reasons I am applying to Queen Mary. The open day I went to was great!
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for your input. Exactly the reasons I am applying to Queen Mary. The open day I went to was great!
I'm glad you liked it. Feel free to ask me any questions you have about QM.
username3508706
Rep:
?
History at York.

By all means take note of the advice above but you already have a good spread. Being realistic, are you on track for King's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
King's is by far the most demanding in terms of entry criteria. I am studying on an Access to Higher Education course. King's asks for 36 distinctions and 9 Merits. Whereas my 2nd choice university asks for 24 distinctions and 21 merits. Queen Mary is the least demanding, only asking for 15 distinctions and 15 merits. Overall, I think in my 5 choices I've got some real leeway in the grades needed. Unlike many A-Level students I've seen who seem to go for AAA-AAB in all their choices.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.31%
No (65)
38.69%

Watched Threads