The Student Room Group

London Universities - History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natalie1789
King's is by far the most demanding in terms of entry criteria. I am studying on an Access to Higher Education course. King's asks for 36 distinctions and 9 Merits. Whereas my 2nd choice university asks for 24 distinctions and 21 merits. Queen Mary is the most demanding, only asking for 15 distinctions and 15 merits. Overall, I think in my 5 choices I've got some real leeway in the grades needed. Unlike many A-Level students I've seen who seem to go for AAA-AAB in all their choices.

That's a very big difference.

Btw one tactic is to submit only 3-4 choices initially to see what response you get. Based on whether you get offers or rejections, you can adjust your final choices accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
That's a very big difference.

Btw one tactic is to submit only 3-4 choices initially to see what response you get. Based on whether you get offers or rejections, you can adjust your final choices accordingly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. How does that work? I didn't know I could add choices after sending the application.
Interesting. How does that work? I didn't know I could add choices after sending the application.

Literally just put down eg 4 choices, pay and submit etc. Then you can go back later and add the fifth. Same PS, reference etc of course. Might be useful given you aren't doing A levels and unis might not give expected responses. Just a thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As above, but make sure you add any other choices before the Jan deadline.
Reply 24
Original post by ageshallnot
KCL was my joint second choice years ago, though the course has changed a fair bit since then. I was particularly interested in the war studies element, which is now a separate course.

I studied History and War Studies joint honours at King's; felt like I had best of both worlds! To be honest, I would say that the best historians that I was taught by were actually from the WS department.
Original post by Oh Hi
I studied History and War Studies joint honours at King's; felt like I had best of both worlds! To be honest, I would say that the best historians that I was taught by were actually from the WS department.

That doesn't surprise me at all. King's pioneered war studies in this country. Unfortunately in my day it was only a postgrad option.
Haha! No worries. Queen Mary is already on my list lol. Are you half asleep or a bit drunk? :wink:

Those aren't mutually exclusive :smile:
I think it takes a certain kind of person to go to Birkbeck, it isn't for everyone and that's ok.
I do have my heart set on King's though if I'm honest. :smile:

what have you heard is difficult about enjoying Birbeck? I sometimes think of recommending it to students who plan on working while studying as the hours are more employment friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending