bashy345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can a BTECH Computing Course Get me into a computing science in a good university.
dipsy3211
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
YES IT CAN!

I did BTEC Computer Science and I had offers from King's College London and Queen Mary University of London.

For King's though you will have to do an A Level in Maths to get an offer. I didn't do so well at A Level Maths, so will be going to Queen Mary.
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bashy345)
Can a BTECH Computing Course Get me into a computing science in a good university.
I'm not sure but good unis like oxbridge don't tend to like BTECHS
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most universities require A level Maths.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the IT/Computing BTEC and have just finished my Computer Science degree from a top 30 uni and going on to study at a top 10 uni for my Masters, the BTEC is excellent and gave me loads of extra skills that an A level student might not have as well as a compulsory work placement in an IT related role which helped me when applying for undergraduate internships.

People from my BTEC course ended up going to: Manchester, Southampton, Kings College London, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Cardiff and UCL to name a few, so yes, you can get into good unis with the BTEC and I personally found it good preparation.

Dont listen to people when they say you 'have' to have A level Maths or no uni will accept you for Comp Sci, its a small minority of unis that actually require it (most of the top 10-15 for Comp Sci) - however saying this, obviously it would help, not only with reaching the very best unis (for example Oxford accept Triple Distinction in the BTEC + A* Maths to get onto their Comp Sci degree). but also to allow you continue to learn maths as Comp Sci has a lot of maths involved, there is a BTEC module call;ed Mathematics for IT Practitioners which is meant to be fairly good, however not all colleges will teach it.

Hope this helps
bashy345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
I did the IT/Computing BTEC and have just finished my Computer Science degree from a top 30 uni and going on to study at a top 10 uni for my Masters, the BTEC is excellent and gave me loads of extra skills that an A level student might not have as well as a compulsory work placement in an IT related role which helped me when applying for undergraduate internships.

People from my BTEC course ended up going to: Manchester, Southampton, Kings College London, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Cardiff and UCL to name a few, so yes, you can get into good unis with the BTEC and I personally found it good preparation.

Dont listen to people when they say you 'have' to have A level Maths or no uni will accept you for Comp Sci, its a small minority of unis that actually require it (most of the top 10-15 for Comp Sci) - however saying this, obviously it would help, not only with reaching the very best unis (for example Oxford accept Triple Distinction in the BTEC + A* Maths to get onto their Comp Sci degree). but also to allow you continue to learn maths as Comp Sci has a lot of maths involved, there is a BTEC module call;ed Mathematics for IT Practitioners which is meant to be fairly good, however not all colleges will teach it.

Hope this helps
Really motivated me thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (191)
60.06%
No (70)
22.01%
Not sure (57)
17.92%

Watched Threads