gullyyt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay, So I've never done history at GCSE level,is it a bad idea to take it at higher level? I do enjoy the subjects, but will it be hard to get on board with what's going on?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gulled Bulhan)
Okay, So I've never done history at GCSE level,is it a bad idea to take it at higher level? I do enjoy the subjects, but will it be hard to get on board with what's going on?
It will be fine if you have an interest in things past and like to know why people did what they did in their given situation. You need to like investigating and piecing things together. Its a great subject imo.
gehe31
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Content is expected to be new so everyone will be at the same level in that sense, I think the hardest thing will be formulating the essay, it is already a step up from GCSE so everyone struggles at the beginning and if you have achieved highly in other essay subjects then you should be okay. Just remember to address the question at the end of each paragraph and be evaluative throughout, don't just tell the story and state the facts. Maybe look at writing history essays on youtube. What modules does your school do?
gullyyt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by gehe31)
Content is expected to be new so everyone will be at the same level in that sense, I think the hardest thing will be formulating the essay, it is already a step up from GCSE so everyone struggles at the beginning and if you have achieved highly in other essay subjects then you should be okay. Just remember to address the question at the end of each paragraph and be evaluative throughout, don't just tell the story and state the facts. Maybe look at writing history essays on youtube. What modules does your school do?
I got the equivalent of an A and A* in English literature and language and I'll keep that in mind hehe.

Also, I'm not exactly sure yet- I completely forgot to ask :s I wasn't sure if I was doing history until the day in which I enrolled at the school. Do you recommend any youtube channels? Since I honestly have no clue, but I'll look around for sure Thank you!!
Sailin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do it if you like history. I hadn't written a single essay before IB, and I hated how history was taught. Now I enjoy IB history a lot, though. It doesn't even matter whether you like 'history', it's more about whether you want to spend time writting good essays. Literally you can memorize everything you need to know about the historical event in one day, but you need lots of practice for a clear essay. Your teacher will probably help you with the strategies (PEA format-point, evidence, analysis), so don't worry
messiahah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had similar doubts but a friend showed me ibessays.org/samples and I got over most challenging hurdles. Helps to have a resource that can help when needed so I thought i'd recommend it to you as you seem to be in a similar boat
Sailin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by messiahah)
I had similar doubts but a friend showed me ibessays.org/samples and I got over most challenging hurdles. Helps to have a resource that can help when needed so I thought i'd recommend it to you as you seem to be in a similar boat
It's definitely helpful to have a resource! I am asked to read essays from history majors and researchers in order to write in a more professional style as well. Another thing is to ask the school if they've purchased the access to a digital library (helpful and not only in history). It might be useful when writing IAs and EEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (1)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
40%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (1)
20%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (1)
20%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (0)
0%

Watched Threads