Student Finance is delaying/cancelling my application

Watch
SaraMRC
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I applied for student finance in early April so that I would have everything ready for the beginning of university in September. However, due to the fact that I am a EU citizen I have been repeatedly asked for proof of residency to which I have sent several documents that prove that I have resided in the UK for the last five years as asked. I have been in the UK since 2008 and completed my GCSEs and A levels here as well. So with all the proof I have sent and the fact that I have completed all of these exams here I don't understand why my application is being cancelled especially so close to the beginning of term. I have contacted student finance several times but there seems to be lack of help being offered. Can anyone advise me on what to do next?
Laura S SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi SaraMRC,

Your application sometimes is cancelled if we have went a certain amount of time without receiving any evidence. We will reinstate this for you when we receive and process further residency evidence.

There may be gaps in the residency evidence you have provided but you should have been advised what dates your evidence would still need to cover. If any evidence you sent had been invalid then we usually note the reason and can advise you of this.

The kind of things you can send us for evidence of your residency would be things like council tax bills, housing and council tax benefit letters, letter from local council or housing association, utility bills, P60s, wageslips, HMRC letters, bank statements, DWP, DLA or Jobcentre Plus Letters.

If you were under 18 at any point during the residency period we can accept school qualification certificates, letters from college or school confirming dates attended, school reports, young persons account, child tax credits/ child benefit letter which can be in your parents' name as long as you are named on it.

Some of the evidence noted above may not be applicable to you however you would have to send in what you can and all evidence sent must be original.

We are currently taking eight working days to review this type of evidence.

Thanks
username2652681
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
the exact same thing is happening to me right now my application has been cancelled even though i have sent all the correct information and i have received letters from student finance stating that they have received all the evidence that i have sent, and haven't asked for more since? Yet last week i receive a letter saying that my application has been cancelled. After calling I find out that the problem is actually on their side because no one actually looked at the evidence that i had sent them to confirm that i am eligible. I was promised that my application would be looked into again, yet I have heard nothing since then and my application is still cancelled. Meanwhile i need a letter confirming im eligible for student finance in order to enroll to my university.. next week. I am also an EU citizen and have lived here for 10 years .... a very similar case, i hope this hasn't been done on purpose following the brexit vote...... fishy
SaraMRC
Rep:
?
I've been thinking the same thing but since they are still in the EU their law still applies and according to EU law EU citizens have to be treated the same as a British citizen but clearly that isn't applying to student finance. They obviously aren't analysing the evidence properly for anyone because one of the school letters I have sent says when I started and finished at the school which covers the 5 year period they are requesting.I have also been calling them on a regular bases for an update so try to do that as well. Hopefully this gets sorted quickly for all of us. Good luck!

(Original post by vatohai)
the exact same thing is happening to me right now my application has been cancelled even though i have sent all the correct information and i have received letters from student finance stating that they have received all the evidence that i have sent, and haven't asked for more since? Yet last week i receive a letter saying that my application has been cancelled. After calling I find out that the problem is actually on their side because no one actually looked at the evidence that i had sent them to confirm that i am eligible. I was promised that my application would be looked into again, yet I have heard nothing since then and my application is still cancelled. Meanwhile i need a letter confirming im eligible for student finance in order to enroll to my university.. next week. I am also an EU citizen and have lived here for 10 years .... a very similar case, i hope this hasn't been done on purpose following the brexit vote...... fishy
SaraMRC
Rep:
?
Thank you for your help.

Since April I have sent exam certificates, letters from the school and bank, registration certificates which show my attendance, bank statements, HMRC letters. Bearing in mind that one of the letters from my school stated very clearly that I attended the school from September 2011 to June 2016 which covers most of the 5 years being requested. I have always lived with my parents which is why none of the bills are in my name and I have never received any sort of benefit from the British government so I don't have any of those letters. This is why I do not understand why my application has been cancelled. Another set of evidence has just been delivered last Friday in hopes that this time it will be sufficient. Is there anything else I should do?

(Original post by Laura S SFE)
Hi SaraMRC,

Your application sometimes is cancelled if we have went a certain amount of time without receiving any evidence. We will reinstate this for you when we receive and process further residency evidence.

There may be gaps in the residency evidence you have provided but you should have been advised what dates your evidence would still need to cover. If any evidence you sent had been invalid then we usually note the reason and can advise you of this.

The kind of things you can send us for evidence of your residency would be things like council tax bills, housing and council tax benefit letters, letter from local council or housing association, utility bills, P60s, wageslips, HMRC letters, bank statements, DWP, DLA or Jobcentre Plus Letters.

If you were under 18 at any point during the residency period we can accept school qualification certificates, letters from college or school confirming dates attended, school reports, young persons account, child tax credits/ child benefit letter which can be in your parents' name as long as you are named on it.

Some of the evidence noted above may not be applicable to you however you would have to send in what you can and all evidence sent must be original.

We are currently taking eight working days to review this type of evidence.

Thanks
Miriam SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi SaraMRC

If you have sent all the relevant residency evidence the best thing I can advise you is to get in contact with SFE and one of our advisers will be able to access your account and check the status and if we do need more evidence, as Laura has stated their could be gaps in the dates.

SFE Contact Tel:0300 100 0607

Thanks Miriam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads