The Student Room Group

A levels/BTEC courses

Not sure if I'll get a response to this but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

So I'm going into my second year at college next week and last year I studied year 1 of 2 a levels, 1 level 3 BTEC and 1 level 3 course in criminology, as well as completing a 1 year level 2 psychology course I also achieved a first year qualification for the BTEC subject and the level 3 criminology course, after a talk with someone at college I decided to drop the level 3 criminology course as I was studying to relieve stress and continue my studies with my 2 A level subjects and the BTEC course, just want to know if you think this would affect my chances of getting into an average (nothing like oxford) university by dropping the level 3 criminology course? It wasn't a complete waste of a year as I did get 1 qualification out of it, which I can still put on my CV/Ucas application. ~Thanks!~
Reply 1
I don't think it will make a difference since 2 a levels + 1 btec is the equivalent of 3 a levels (i think ??) Makes more sense to focus on 3 and do them well than do too many things and get lower grades
Reply 2
Original post by emmak10
I don't think it will make a difference since 2 a levels + 1 btec is the equivalent of 3 a levels (i think ??) Makes more sense to focus on 3 and do them well than do too many things and get lower grades

Thank your for your response! And that's what the teacher said he said university's would be more happy to see you with 3 subjects with A's than 4 subjects with C's and I do feel a lot better for only having 3 subjects now instead of 4. Thanks again 😇
Original post by J1718
Not sure if I'll get a response to this but any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

So I'm going into my second year at college next week and last year I studied year 1 of 2 a levels, 1 level 3 BTEC and 1 level 3 course in criminology, as well as completing a 1 year level 2 psychology course I also achieved a first year qualification for the BTEC subject and the level 3 criminology course, after a talk with someone at college I decided to drop the level 3 criminology course as I was studying to relieve stress and continue my studies with my 2 A level subjects and the BTEC course, just want to know if you think this would affect my chances of getting into an average (nothing like oxford) university by dropping the level 3 criminology course? It wasn't a complete waste of a year as I did get 1 qualification out of it, which I can still put on my CV/Ucas application. ~Thanks!~

Hey to be honest as the above poster said it doesn't really make a difference. What unis are looking for is compatibility in your management meaning how much you can handle at any one time as uni is pretty much independence and no spoon feeding. So it's best if you stick with 3 as this is the minimum requirement for uni.

Hoped I helped! All the best!
Reply 4
Original post by MiszShortee786
Hey to be honest as the above poster said it doesn't really make a difference. What unis are looking for is compatibility in your management meaning how much you can handle at any one time as uni is pretty much independence and no spoon feeding. So it's best if you stick with 3 as this is the minimum requirement for uni.

Hoped I helped! All the best!

Thank you! Your response has definitely helped to make me see that dropping it down to 3 subjects is the wiser option. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Latest