The Student Room Group

What's it like being an LGBT teacher/PGCE student?

I'm considering going into secondary teaching and was wondering what other people's experiences have been/are? (Sorry if this is the wrong area, I'm new on here.)
Original post by lkjhfdsa
I'm considering going into secondary teaching and was wondering what other people's experiences have been/are? (Sorry if this is the wrong area, I'm new on here.)

Firstly welcome to the forum!

Secondly, it's great that you want to go into teaching, but why do you think there would be a difference in experience as a member of the LGBT community?
Reply 2
Original post by computed
Firstly welcome to the forum!

Secondly, it's great that you want to go into teaching, but why do you think there would be a difference in experience as a member of the LGBT community?

they're probably talking about a possible negative response from students (think how much abuse teachers get in low performing schools, and then throw gay into the mix).

i have nothing to do with teaching, but i'm aware that the national union of teachers is present at pride in newcastle (and i assume elsewhere) so there's support on that front. :smile:

no one on your course cares.

if you go into a school and you don't deliberately act camp and do the whole ooh lala limp wrist flick, i love a good cocktail thing if you're a man and you're not a butch woman with piercings and short hair then the students won't notice either.

even if they do notice, chances they don't care either.
Original post by oldboy2007
no one on your course cares.

if you go into a school and you don't deliberately act camp and do the whole ooh lala limp wrist flick, i love a good cocktail thing if you're a man and you're not a butch woman with piercings and short hair then the students won't notice either.

even if they do notice, chances they don't care either.

Well said.

OP is panicking too much for no reason!
LGBT training will be part of the course and schools now have a statutory requirement to challenge negative attitudes around LGBT+ issues. Of all the organisations or institutions you could join, schools are pretty up on the issues of ensuring equality within the workplace and environment.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Well said.

OP is panicking too much for no reason!

I come from a provincial town which can be rather socially backwards and I have seen the treatment received by the only out teacher in my sixth form which is the only thing giving me doubts about teaching. I'm moving away for uni so if other people have not had issues then that's great.
I come from a provincial town which can be rather socially backwards and I have seen the treatment received by the only out teacher in my sixth form which is the only thing giving me doubts about teaching. I'm moving away for uni so if other people have not had issues then that's great.

How is he treated? A friend of mine is a gay teacher, but he isn't out at work. it's easier that way and he's a private person anyway. There's no real need to talk about your private life at work, gay or straight.

Ok that's understandable. One teachers bad experience doesn't mean all teachers have that kind of experience. Don't worry :smile:
As a gay (and trans) person looking to go into teaching, I understand why you're worried - I am too. It "got out" that a teacher at my secondary school was gay and kids used to take the mick because of it, and this wasn't in some backwoods middle-of-nowhere town either. Also, there are still people who labour under the impression that gay (and particularly trans) people shouldn't be allowed near children.

That said, I get the impression parents are likely to be your biggest issue, but that most schools will stand up for you. If the school is good, homo/transphobic bullying should be severely dealt with and pupils should be taught to be accepting of difference, so you shouldn't have much trouble from students. Even if you do at the beginning, a good school should make sure it's stamped out early on.
Original post by CharAU95
As a gay (and trans) person looking to go into teaching, I understand why you're worried - I am too. It "got out" that a teacher at my secondary school was gay and kids used to take the mick because of it, and this wasn't in some backwoods middle-of-nowhere town either. Also, there are still people who labour under the impression that gay (and particularly trans) people shouldn't be allowed near children.

That said, I get the impression parents are likely to be your biggest issue, but that most schools will stand up for you. If the school is good, homo/transphobic bullying should be severely dealt with and pupils should be taught to be accepting of difference, so you shouldn't have much trouble from students. Even if you do at the beginning, a good school should make sure it's stamped out early on.

really depends what kind of gay you are. if you're a hot nymph lesbian, I don't think any children or parents would mind at all. they might even make a pass at you. kids will take the piss if you look like Pat Butcher from Eastenders though. similarly, there's beefy manly mans gay, probably a hit with the girls who'll defend you "aww bless his little cotton socks" if anyone takes the mick. different story if you act like Sebastian Love from Little Britain.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by oldboy2007
really depends what kind of gay you are. if you're a hot nymph lesbian, I don't think any children or parents would mind at all. they might even make a pass at you. kids will take the piss if you look like Pat Butcher from Eastenders though. similarly, there's beefy manly mans gay, probably a hit with the girls who'll defend you "aww bless his little cotton socks" if anyone takes the mick. different story if you act like Sebastian Love from Little Britain.

He wasn't really any of those - hence it wasn't until someone saw him with his partner that any students knew.
Also a lot of these seem to come down to "it's fine as long as you're the right kind of gay" which is still. Kind of a problem.
Also a lot of these seem to come down to "it's fine as long as you're the right kind of gay" which is still. Kind of a problem.

that's life. i'm just saying. ex-teacher here.
Reply 14

I'm "lucky" because I pass as straight even to friends but I want to go into teaching so I can start a family because schools are pretty good at part time arrangements after maternity leave. Obviously starting a family would make any relationship quite obvious and this really does worry me.
I'm "lucky" because I pass as straight even to friends but I want to go into teaching so I can start a family because schools are pretty good at part time arrangements after maternity leave. Obviously starting a family would make any relationship quite obvious and this really does worry me.

Look, as an ex-teacher, your sexuality is the least of your worries.

You should be more worried about working conditions and pay.

Schools really crack down hard on abuse from things like sexuality / race / disability / religion. especially because you're staff. 0 tolerance for pupils. obviously you may get a few ******** staff, but that's the same in any workplace so it's not worth worrying about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok that's understandable. One teachers bad experience doesn't mean all teachers have that kind of experience. Don't worry :smile:

Also if you have a student that is in LGBT+ it helps a lot because sometimes we feel lonely especially if you have unsupportive parents (me I am out so I hate this). you could tell these kids that you are also in LGBT+ and if they need any help to come to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending