What’s the difference between a job and a career?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Personally I consider a job to be something you do purely to earn money, where a career may have opportunities for advancement, or is something you find more fulfilling, but that's just my take

What do you consider to be the difference between a job and a career?
HHJ11
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd consider a job to be a basic means of income that has little to no means of professional development, whereas a career is usually full of opportunities and personal challenges (usually with a wage that you can live on, not just survive)
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Personally I consider a job to be something you do purely to earn money, where a career may have opportunities for advancement, or is something you find more fulfilling, but that's just my take

a job is the singular position, a career is progression of skills through various jobs over a time period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
As others have said, a job is a form of paid employment, a role that you perform. A career, on the other hand, I feel is something that has to demonstrate some form of advancement, typically achieved by developing your knowledge and skills; e.g., going from junior -> senior -> team leader. A job can be part of a career, or it can be something you take for a given period in order to earn money, with the aim to do another job after it, or something that might not have room for advancement.

People who seek to have a career, are typically thinking about avenues for advancement from the role they are currently in, and how they can expand or enhance their skills, knowledge and experience. I think that most people who enter higher and/or further education, or take apprenticeships, are looking to have careers, and that fewer people these days would be content with having the same job throughout their entire working lives, without advancing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads