Title

I'm doing AQA
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samaad1)
Title

I'm doing AQA
It can be quite difficult because you do have to remember a lot of case studies and do a lot of extra research beyond the classroom. But that's what makes it enjoyable since you get to learn about a plethora of topics. :yy:
username2803872
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
It can be quite difficult because you do have to remember a lot of case studies and do a lot of extra research beyond the classroom. But that's what makes it enjoyable since you get to learn about a plethora of topics. :yy:
Is the exam techique hard to master? And how different is it to GCSE and also how come you dont have a rep bar thing
chickenfajitas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say its hard content but you need to know how to structure your answers in order to get the marks. People say there is a lot of content but it is not that much.. In comparison to my other A-levels (psych and bio), it is NOTHING. I find it hard to determine how well you have actually done in questions since you think you did a question to the same ability as a question which you got an A in, but end up getting an E (happened to me). Some people complain and find geography hard and then others find it is not 'easy' but is easier than their other subjects.
aamirac
Report 4 years ago
Is the exam techique hard to master? And how different is it to GCSE and also how come you dont have a rep bar thing
As with most essay based subjects, there's a structure to follow that requires practise and plenty of time to master. I wouldn't say it's that much of a step up, it's just that you get to build up on topics you might have learnt at GCSE.

Users have the option to display it or not. (Customise my TSR --> Edit account options --> show my reputation level)
username2803872
Rep:
?
(Original post by chickenfajitas)
I wouldn't say its hard content but you need to know how to structure your answers in order to get the marks. People say there is a lot of content but it is not that much.. In comparison to my other A-levels (psych and bio), it is NOTHING. I find it hard to determine how well you have actually done in questions since you think you did a question to the same ability as a question which you got an A in, but end up getting an E (happened to me). Some people complain and find geography hard and then others find it not 'easy' but easier than there other subjects.
So the actual content is not too much to cope with but mastering the exam technique is difficult. Thanks for your detailed reply
moz4rt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It isn't too difficult especially compared to the sciences, my teacher gave us structures for questions of different marks and it works really well. Just try and learn the concepts in the beginning (they're not too complex), and try to learn the case studies so that you get marks (I learned them right before the exams and it turned out fine lol) But as with any other A levels make sure you enjoy doing it because otherwise you will regret picking it and end up not doing well in it.
Title

I'm doing AQA
username2803872
Rep:
?
As with most essay based subjects, there's a structure to follow that requires practise and plenty of time to master. I wouldn't say it's that much of a step up, it's just that you get to build up on topics you might have learnt at GCSE.

Users have the option to display it or not. (Customise my TSR --> Edit account options --> show my reputation level)
Ok thanks a lot for your reply and I never knew that lol
username2803872
Rep:
?
(Original post by moz4rt)
It isn't too difficult especially compared to the sciences, my teacher gave us structures for questions of different marks and it works really well. Just try and learn the concepts in the beginning (they're not too complex), and try to learn the case studies so that you get marks (I learned them right before the exams and it turned out fine lol) But as with any other A levels make sure you enjoy doing it because otherwise you will regret picking it and end up not doing well in it.
Nice your school seems very good. Thanks for your reply. I know I'll enjoy all me a level choices especially geography as it was one of my favourites
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How long is a piece of string...?
aamirac
Report 4 years ago
Ok thanks a lot for your reply and I never knew that lol
You're most welcome. :hat2: If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
username2803872
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
How long is a piece of string...?
Lmao it can't be that stupid of a question. I though people would put it in context of there other a levels and then decide
username2803872
Rep:
?
You're most welcome. :hat2: If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I most likely will :laugh:
chickenfajitas
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So the actual content is not too much to cope with but mastering the exam technique is difficult. Thanks for your detailed reply
Exactly, I expect most schools give structure for each type of differently marked question like mine. Each question is either 4, 6, 12 and 20 marks (I think there may be 30 or 40 markers in A2 but not sure). So with practice you should be able to master the exam technique - which I am trying to still get to..
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lmao it can't be that stupid of a question. I though people would put it in context of there other a levels and then decide
The relative difficulty of any A-level course, whether individually or in comparison to another, will vary immensely depending on who is actually taking it. For some, Further Maths will be the easiest A-level they do because it's "just" more maths. For others, it would be unimaginable to even consider taking it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - as is difficulty.
username2803872
Rep:
?
(Original post by chickenfajitas)
Exactly, I expect most schools give structure for each type of differently marked question like mine. Each question is either 4, 6, 12 and 20 marks (I think there may be 30 or 40 markers in A2 but not sure). So with practice you should be able to master the exam technique - which I am trying to still get to..
Seems fairly straight forward then thank you. Any idea of what the coursework is like?
username2803872
Rep:
?
The relative difficulty of any A-level course, whether individually or in comparison to another, will vary immensely depending on who is actually taking it. For some, Further Maths will be the easiest A-level they do because it's "just" more maths. For others, it would be unimaginable to even consider taking it.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - as is difficulty.
I see what you mean but isnt it a bit different when it's an essay based subject rather than something like maths where natural talent helps a lot
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I see what you mean but isnt it a bit different when it's an essay based subject rather than something like maths where natural talent helps a lot
There is no "natural talent" for any subject. There is only the depth and breadth of a students preparation which make them "better" at a subject than another. While there are things that can make some subjects harder though that aren't a function of the State's handling of education, being "good" at a given subject is not an innate quality, for any subject.

On the topic of innate qualities which might negatively impact their ability in a subject, someone with dyslexia is much more likely to find essay based subjects challenging and dislike them. Someone with dyscalculia on the other hand naturally is more likely to struggle with maths and subjects that use a lot of maths. This does not suggest there is an opposing mechanism which makes people "good" at subjects.
username2803872
Rep:
?
There is no "natural talent" for any subject. There is only the depth and breadth of a students preparation which make them "better" at a subject than another. While there are things that can make some subjects harder though that aren't a function of the State's handling of education, being "good" at a given subject is not an innate quality, for any subject.

On the topic of innate qualities which might negatively impact their ability in a subject, someone with dyslexia is much more likely to find essay based subjects challenging and dislike them. Someone with dyscalculia on the other hand naturally is more likely to struggle with maths and subjects that use a lot of maths. This does not suggest there is an opposing mechanism which makes people "good" at subjects.
But I know many people who got top grades in maths and then a mix of Bs and Cs and they themselves tell me they did no preparation for the exam
sumzi_ia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
hi. i havent done geography gcses as i chose history, but i want to consider it for my a levels do you think ill be able to do it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads