Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

urgghh maths, im scared... help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey ppl, Ive been wondering what to do @ uni, and due to my subjects i do:
    Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry (just starting my second year of a-lvls now, on a's atm), it kind of lowers my chance of doing something like medicine @ uni, since im not doing biology :s
    But i think im still going to apply for a medicine course and hope for the best, but i was also thinking of applying to do maths... but ive been put off by loads of ppl saying "urrghhh you're not goin to do maths @ uni are you?" and stuff like that, is it really that much harder than maths and further maths @ skool? Im sure i was told by one of my teachers that the stuff in further maths is done @ uni, but im still a little scared of what to think/expect...

any info from ppl doin maths @ uni, or know some stuff that mite help me wud be grateful

luv u all
    Jonny Jon Jon

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I dont think I'll be helpful cos i m not at uni YET!
    but I ll try my best anyway...
    I've done A-level Maths and Further Maths as well and was thinking of doing a maths degree at uni but my friends, parents and some of the teachers kept saying I shouldnt so yeah they DID put me off big time. My econ teacher knew me so well(what kinda person i am, what stuff i like and how good i am at maths) and he told me that I m not gonna like the maths course. He did maths at uni for a year but said it was too much to handle so he switched to econ. He said that maths at uni is mainly bout proving formulae and to be honest,when I was doing A-level maths/further maths,I always used to hate the last chapter in all the P1,2,3,4...etc which was PROOF, its jus wasnt my thing at all although I loved everything else bout maths
    So I thought they r probably right bout maths at uni and chose not to risk it. Anyway instead I chose econmics&stats. There's still gonna be quite a lot of maths involved but it is a much safer option.
    anyway ask ur maths teacher, he/she probably knows u well and can tell whether or not u gonna enjoy the course.
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    again, i'm not at uni yet. but i'm applying to do maths, and i get the "agggg, you're applying for maths?!?!?" alot. however, tha's generally from people that find maths hard and don't appreciate it for what it can do. If i were you i'd read some maths style books (not textbooks) i'd reccomend:

Simon Singh- Fermat's last theorem
    Simon Singh- The code book
    Ian Steawart- Does God Play Dice?

There are probably other good ones as well, but there a few of the ones i've read and erally enjoyed. That should give you more of an idea wheater or not you like maths and want to study it for 3 years. However, like i said, i'm not at uni yet, so that might not be he kind of advice you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyJonJon)
    Hey ppl, Ive been wondering what to do @ uni, and due to my subjects i do:
    Maths, Further maths, physics and chemistry (just starting my second year of a-lvls now, on a's atm), it kind of lowers my chance of doing something like medicine @ uni, since im not doing biology :s
    But i think im still going to apply for a medicine course and hope for the best, but i was also thinking of applying to do maths... but ive been put off by loads of ppl saying "urrghhh you're not goin to do maths @ uni are you?" and stuff like that, is it really that much harder than maths and further maths @ skool? Im sure i was told by one of my teachers that the stuff in further maths is done @ uni, but im still a little scared of what to think/expect...

any info from ppl doin maths @ uni, or know some stuff that mite help me wud be grateful

luv u all
    Jonny Jon Jon
    It obviously depends where you go to uni as to how much harder it will be. I think its pretty save to say if you go to Oxbridge or some of the London College you can expect it to be very hard!

As to people saying "urrghh not maths?!", they'd only be saying that because they can't do it! Maths is a great degree to have: if you enjoy the subject its fun and employment prospects are excellent!

With A's in maths and further maths I don't see what you are worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taldarion)
    again, i'm not at uni yet. but i'm applying to do maths, and i get the "agggg, you're applying for maths?!?!?" alot. however, tha's generally from people that find maths hard and don't appreciate it for what it can do. If i were you i'd read some maths style books (not textbooks) i'd reccomend:

Simon Singh- Fermat's last theorem
    Simon Singh- The code book
    Ian Steawart- Does God Play Dice?

There are probably other good ones as well, but there a few of the ones i've read and erally enjoyed. That should give you more of an idea wheater or not you like maths and want to study it for 3 years. However, like i said, i'm not at uni yet, so that might not be he kind of advice you want
    yeah, exactly, i get that exact same aaargh response whenever i say i m thinkin of doin a math degree whne im not even a maths genius
    yet wehn i say im thinkin of medicine, every1 says , now theres a nice safe well paid , all round spiffing career choice
    how can i not be swayed??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perkyDani)
    yeah, exactly, i get that exact same aaargh response whenever i say i m thinkin of doin a math degree whne im not even a maths genius
    yet wehn i say im thinkin of medicine, every1 says , now theres a nice safe well paid , all round spiffing career choice
    how can i not be swayed??
    they are probably jealous because maths is extra ordinary lets say. There is no definitive job at the end of it, and it is perceived to be a dull subject by those who dont understand it, or those that do not see the subject for what it is. I mean do whatever turns you on...money should only be a secondary factor. Remember money can be made with a qualification anyway, but money can not always bring hapiness, or something like that, lol.

med is so typical. Personally, i could have gone into that field, but personally i found the prospect of sitting in a GP's surgery for the next 50 years or so very unappealing. Even though my parents really hoped i would become a doctor, i went against their advice and applied for maths, and can't wait to start!

PK

ReputationRep:
    I was going to apply for medicine, but it really is so competitive. Some of my friends are really clever and really nice and they have been rejected, plus u can only apply to 4 unis as oppose to 6. You will definitely be interviewed. Oh, by the way, by no means do u need biology. You normally need chemistry and one other science, so physics should be fine.
    I have applied for maths, mainly because i absolutely love it and its the thing i am best at. I DONT do futher maths and have been on open days to unis who say futher maths helps people to some extent at uni, but by the end of the first term everyone is at the same level anyway.
    Also, alot of courses allow u to take other modules aswell as maths in ur first few yrs. This gives u flexibility to change to a different degree later on if you arent convinced by straight maths. For example, i have applied to Edinburgh and they encourage u to do something like half maths half something else in the first yr and then in the nxt yrs you gradually do more and more maths.
    Dont be put off by what other people say about maths. its just looked upon as something really geeky and hard cos most people cant do it.
    If u can u may aswell make the most of it.
    Alicexxxxxxx

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.