The Student Room Group

Can I do social work at university without doing sociology at college?

I am currently about to start my second year at college and I'm doing English Literature, Photography and Art A Levels. I'm not enjoying Art so I wanted to drop it and fast track sociology instead but this option wasn't available so the only thing I could do is ether keep doing my current subjects or drop Art, do AS sociology and stay another year to do A Level. However I really do not want to stay another year as i would only be doing one subject and I am planning to travel and do volunteering so I was wondering if it was possible to still do social work without doing sociology. I have had experience doing social care volunteering overseas in a couple of different countries and I am also planning to move to Argentina for a few months during my gap year to do social care with orphaned and street kids. I am also planning to start volunteering at a charity shop or old peoples home. I was wondering if this volunteering experience with social care would get me into university doing social work?
Original post by Bea.m123
I am currently about to start my second year at college and I'm doing English Literature, Photography and Art A Levels. I'm not enjoying Art so I wanted to drop it and fast track sociology instead but this option wasn't available so the only thing I could do is ether keep doing my current subjects or drop Art, do AS sociology and stay another year to do A Level. However I really do not want to stay another year as i would only be doing one subject and I am planning to travel and do volunteering so I was wondering if it was possible to still do social work without doing sociology. I have had experience doing social care volunteering overseas in a couple of different countries and I am also planning to move to Argentina for a few months during my gap year to do social care with orphaned and street kids. I am also planning to start volunteering at a charity shop or old peoples home. I was wondering if this volunteering experience with social care would get me into university doing social work?

What do I need to do to become a social worker?

To become a social worker, you will need to study a three year undergraduate degree or a two year postgraduate degree in social work that is approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). You will also need to pass a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

To get on to a relevant degree you need five GCSEs A-C, including maths, English and science, and two A levels. There are no specific subjects required but relevant ones would include psychology, sociology, and law.

A level 3 vocational qualification in health and social care would be relevant for this work. Check with universities regarding acceptability.

You need to check the entrance requirements for each course as some require 3 A levels. Photography and art are weak academically, so your replacement should be something more traditional with more academic content.

You are looking at a lower tariff of 120 UCAS points.

Volunteering does not replace an A level. You could try a one year BTEC or sitting an A level in a year.
I am going into the final year of my social work degree and honestly Ive found that they care way more about previous work/volunteering experiences than qualifications, though these might be important to get into university through UCAS points. Try and see how many points are required to get into the uni you want to go to and if art is bareable Id just try and stick it out but I know its hard to continue doing something you dont enjoy. Im sure there is other routes too like access courses. Good luck!
It might be worth emailing the universities you're interested in studying at and seeing what they say. Certain admissions tutors may value experience over academics, although of course you'll be expected to meet the required grades as the course is competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest