The Student Room Group

Economics A-level pre reading?

So I'm starting my A-levels next week and I'm feeling ready for all of my subjects apart from economics, I know that I've left pre reading a little too late but I think anything is better than doing nothing. I'm joining a new school where many of the pupils have taken economics GCSE whereas my school didn't offer it. I'm doing the edexcel course and I was wondering whether anyone knew any good books or even documentaries to watch? just so I feel a little bit more ready. Thank you.
I did Edexcel Economics A-Level. Like yourself I didn't do a GCSE in it nor business or anything similar.

Best advice I could give you is to really just read the news everyday. Before school I'd make sure I was up to speed with my financial and business news for the day and it really helped me throughout the year. Especially with exams. If you want to watch some documentary or anything I'd recommend reading up on the Wall Street crash in America because for edexcel in your second year there is a large part about financial markets and it's heavily referred with the Wall Street crash and sub-prime mortgages so that would probably be your best bet.

Like I said keep up to speed with the news daily and you'll be fine. I never read any books or did any reading I just made sure I always knew what was happening around the world and it helps because you can relate the theory to real world situations.

****ECONPLUSDAL**** on YouTube. He's honestly a life saver for theory and content he has a section for edexcel

tutor2u is useful too as a website.

Physics and maths tutor economics notes are good for concise notes on everything

Yeah I'd say keeping up to speed with the news is key key key I feel that was what got me my A* in economics. Always know what's happening around the world in the economy and other large economies and you'll do well.

Good luck mate.
Reply 2
Original post by manlykmecuz
I did Edexcel Economics A-Level. Like yourself I didn't do a GCSE in it nor business or anything similar.

Best advice I could give you is to really just read the news everyday. Before school I'd make sure I was up to speed with my financial and business news for the day and it really helped me throughout the year. Especially with exams. If you want to watch some documentary or anything I'd recommend reading up on the Wall Street crash in America because for edexcel in your second year there is a large part about financial markets and it's heavily referred with the Wall Street crash and sub-prime mortgages so that would probably be your best bet.

Like I said keep up to speed with the news daily and you'll be fine. I never read any books or did any reading I just made sure I always knew what was happening around the world and it helps because you can relate the theory to real world situations.

****ECONPLUSDAL**** on YouTube. He's honestly a life saver for theory and content he has a section for edexcel

Physics and maths tutor economics notes are good for concise notes on everything

Yeah I'd say keeping up to speed with the news is key key key I feel that was what got me my A* in economics. Always know what's happening around the world in the economy and other large economies and you'll do well.

Good luck mate.

Thank you that was very helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by manlykmecuz

Good luck mate.

Hi. Firstly, congrats on your A* result. I'm in year 12 studying Economics and at the moment I feel the lessons in school are a little slow and I want to do everything possible to get an A* so I had a few questions that I'd appreciate if you could answer.

1. During GCSE I relied heavily on revision guides, would you recommend them for A-Level Economics? My exam board is AQA.

2. Do you have any revision tips on how to get the A* in Economics?

3. How did you make your notes?

4. It's only September so we haven't covered much of the course, but is there anything else I can do from the beginning to make this easier?

Currently, I am looking at my specification and making notes on things that I've covered in class and a little beyond. But as I am doing this from a revision guide, which of course is more aimed at going over content that people are already supposed to have learnt in class, I am finding it slightly difficult. My aim is to work hard from the beginning and hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest