Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The alternative to meat.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that people who eat Quorn are hypocrites?

For those who don't know, Quorn is a vegatarian alternative to meat (mince), it tastes, smells, and has the same texture as regular meat, but it is actually industrally made.

What annoys me, is loads of vegetarians eat Quorn quite readily because they want to eat meat, without actaully eating an animal. I think it's quite hypocritical given that these people have chosen to abstain from eating meat, yet are quite happy to eat its alternative.

Does anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it hypocrital. I am a vegitarian and I eat quorn and other meat alternatives. I am a vegitarian because I don't want animals to suffer on my account and having read about some of the ways that animals are treated and I don't want anything to do with the meat and fishing industry. Now this is my choice and I am not condeming others for not makeing the same choice. However I have and probably will always like the taste of meat, quorn offers this without hurting animals. It helps me to stop the cravings for meat that I have and it also provides much needed protein in my diet.

I don't see why this is hypocritical just because it tastes like an animals doesn't mean it is one and no animals are hurt so I don't see a problem.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, I eat Quorn even though I'm not vegetarian as I like the taste.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know their motivations for being a vegetarian, so you're not in the position to decide if they're hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    People who eat quorn are not hypocrites, we simply dont like meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juno_the)
    Well, I eat Quorn even though I'm not vegetarian as I like the taste.
    YOu like the taste? how?
    And no they are not hypocritics they disagree with the idea of killing animals for food and hence have found an alternative way to get the taste without committing this percieved crime.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Mad Caddie
    I'm a veggie + so is my sister we eat Quorn as we don't agree with the slaughtering of animals and I can't see how you think it is hypocritical to eat Quorn as it has no animal products in it what-so-ever.

Originally Posted by Mad Caddie
    For those who don't know, Quorn is a vegatarian alternative to meat (mince), it tastes, smells, and has the same texture as regular meat, but it is actually industrally made, of soya.
    Oh and by the way not all of it is soya, some of it is mushroom and truffles from the fungi family, after all there is a whole range of Quorn it's not just a mince alternative.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian and I love Quorn, it's really tasty (especially Quorn Premier at McDonalds but I won't go into that). As a vegetarian I get less protein I suppose and Quorn is a good source so I have it almost every day. I've forgotten what meat tastes like (7 years i last ate it) so I wouldn't know if i'm eating a meat 'substitue' or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    The alternative to meat.

For those who don't know, Quorn is a vegatarian alternative to meat (mince), it tastes, smells, and has the same texture as regular meat, but it is actually industrally made, of soya.

What annoys me, is loads of vegetarians eat Quorn quite readily because they want to eat meat, without actaully eating an animal. I think it's quite hypocritical given that these people have chosen to abstain from eating meat, yet are quite happy to eat its alternative.

Does anyone agree?
    No. Because many vegetarians abstain from meat consumption due to the way in which Animals are reared for meat. It's all to do with morals... It's nothing to do with meat itself.

ReputationRep:
    The alternative to meat.

Does anyone agree?
    Vegetarians don`t have problems with how meat tastes but with having animals killed for food. Quorn solves their moral problem. I`m not sure why qourn-eaters should be labled as hypocrites.Soy doesn`t tend to get hurt the way animals get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    The alternative to meat.

Does anyone agree?
    People don't eat meat because they don't want animals to die so that they can eat. No animals die in the making of Quorn therefore how does this make vegetarians that eat it hypocrites?
    (Original post by randdom)
    Why is it hypocrital. I am a vegitarian and I eat quorn and other meat alternatives. I am a vegitarian because I don't want animals to suffer on my account and having read about some of the ways that animals are treated and I don't want anything to do with the meat and fishing industry. Now this is my choice and I am not condeming others for not makeing the same choice. However I have and probably will always like the taste of meat, quorn offers this without hurting animals. It helps me to stop the cravings for meat that I have and it also provides much needed protein in my diet.

I don't see why this is hypocritical just because it tastes like an animals doesn't mean it is one and no animals are hurt so I don't see a problem.
    Yeh I'm the same as you randdom. My parents, brother, one pair of grandparents, my auntie and my cousin are also all vegetarians.

ReputationRep:
    QUORN IS EVIL, even for vegetarian food...

ReputationRep:
    Quorn is not made from soya or mushrooms, it's made from a mold/fungus grown in a vat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosebud)
    Quorn is not made from soya or mushrooms, it's made from a mold/fungus grown in a vat.
    Give a hint : read a Quorn product pacage before you say something that's wrong, it makes you look like you know something that way. Afterall mushroom is a fungie and they tend to use it in their product. They also use soya as well, just not as often or as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh I'm the same as you randdom. My parents, brother, one pair of grandparents, my auntie and my cousin are also all vegetarians.
    You are lucky it is just me in my family including cousins ect.

What is soya made from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doom_and_Gloom)
    Give a hint : read a Quorn product pacage before you say something that's wrong, it makes you look like you know something that way. Afterall mushroom is a fungie and they tend to use it in their product. They also use soya as well, just not as often or as much.
    No-one would buy it if they said it was made from mold on the package.

(Original post by randdom)
    You are lucky it is just me in my family including cousins ect.

What is soya made from?
    I think it's a bean.

The alternative to meat.

Does anyone agree?
    1) some people don't like the idea of animals dying to satisfy their tastes. Myself i love meat.

2) Quorn has no taste - so therefore is as good as the sauce it is served in. (Quorn stir fry - lovely)

3) Its the top non-meat protein source. Would you rather that all veges be midgets as they don't eat enough protein to grow?
    J

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Rosebud
    No-one would buy it if they said it was made from mold on the package.
    People eat mushrooms, they don't think eww that's a kind of mold/fungi I'm not eating that. Well not alot of people do anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosebud)

I think it's a bean.
    It is, and it's the only bean that is a complete protein, hence used as a meat substitute.

I don't think eating Quorn makes you a hypocrite, i thnk drinking wine and beer and eating cheese made with rennet does.

You can spot the true veggie - they will eat beef flavour crips but not cheese and onion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    You can spot the true veggie - they will eat beef flavour crips but not cheese and onion.
    they will eat cheese and onion too- Walker's crisps are now made with chemical rather than animal rennet

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.