Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    The alternative to meat.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that people who eat Quorn are hypocrites?

For those who don't know, Quorn is a vegatarian alternative to meat (mince), it tastes, smells, and has the same texture as regular meat, but it is actually industrally made, of soya.
    Quorn is not made from Soya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Why is it hypocrital. I am a vegitarian and I eat quorn and other meat alternatives. I am a vegitarian because I don't want animals to suffer on my account and having read about some of the ways that animals are treated and I don't want anything to do with the meat and fishing industry. Now this is my choice and I am not condeming others for not makeing the same choice. However I have and probably will always like the taste of meat, quorn offers this without hurting animals. It helps me to stop the cravings for meat that I have and it also provides much needed protein in my diet.

I don't see why this is hypocritical just because it tastes like an animals doesn't mean it is one and no animals are hurt so I don't see a problem.
    Isn't the whole idea of being a vegetarian that you don't eat meat? So why eat an alternative? I don't understand that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we got taught in biology (i think) that some meat substitute was made from the hyphae of a fungus and I think that was Quorn. It's even in the University of Bath A-level textbook 'Micro-organisms and Biotechnology' (again I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Quorn is not made from Soya.
    My mistake, I thought it was from soya, or some types are? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the whole idea of being a vegetarian that you don't eat meat? So why eat an alternative? I don't understand that.
    its to give variety to the vegetarian diet - without it I'd just end up eating pasta loads and get hugely fat. Quorn is a nice way to bulk up meals and FYI it doesn't have the same texture as meat - it has no grain or anything, nor particularly the same taste.

ReputationRep:
    vegetarians often don't eat meat because they disagree with how it is obtained- however that doesn't mean that we don't like the taste, and rather eat chopped up dead animal, we prefer to eat meat substitute. also, quorn has a lot of protein which we need because we don't get any from eating meat. How is this hypocritical?

ReputationRep:
    Can one vegitarian eat another vegitarian? hmmmmm

(both my sisters are vegitarian - one because she doesn't acually like the taste of meat, and so doesn't eat quorn, and the younger one because she's seen the film bambi! But when they're not looking i slip veal into their meals )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doom_and_Gloom)
    Oh and by the way not all of it is soya, some of it is mushrooms and truffles from the fungi family, after all there is a whole range of Quorn it's not just a mince alternative.
    Although derived from a fungus, Quorn is only very distantly related to mushroom and truffles!

It's actually a form of mycoprotein from the genetically-modified, soil-dwelling microorganism, Fusarium venenatum.

In that respect, I think most people who eat Quorn are hypocrites, since they generally tend to be fanatically opposed to other GM food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    Although derived from a fungus, Quorn is only very distantly related to mushroom and truffles!

It's actually a form of mycoprotein from the genetically-modified, soil-dwelling microorganism, Fusarium venenatum.

In that respect, I think most people who eat Quorn are hypocrites, since they generally tend to be fanatically opposed to other GM food.
    how do you know? I'm a vegetarian and I'm not opposed to it, and surely there must be some meat eaters who oppose GM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    (Original post by riffraff)
    how do you know? I'm a vegetarian and I'm not opposed to it, and surely there must be some meat eaters who oppose GM?
    I think the critical words you neglected to read were 'most' and 'generally', not 'all'.

ReputationRep:
    Those who are most anti-GM are almost four times more likely than average to strongly believe that it is worth paying more for organic food and they are approaching three times more likely to also be willing to pay more for foods that do not contain ‘artificial additives’. They are twice as likely as average to be vegetarian and have an index of 166 against the claim to ‘only shop at supermarkets that sell good quality fresh food’. http://www.bmrb.co.uk/utility.asp?p=...116&r=9477.587

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spk)
    I think the critical words you neglected to read were 'most' and 'generally', not 'all'.
    nah I saw them- but I the 3 friends I know of who are also veggie don't give a damn about GM either

(Original post by spk)
    Those who are most anti-GM are almost four times more likely than average to strongly believe that it is worth paying more for organic food and they are approaching three times more likely to also be willing to pay more for foods that do not contain ‘artificial additives’. They are twice as likely as average to be vegetarian and have an index of 166 against the claim to ‘only shop at supermarkets that sell good quality fresh food’. http://www.bmrb.co.uk/utility.asp?p...=116&r=9477.587
    1) how do you quantify likelihood?
    2) or willingness for that matter
    3) how do you define "most anti-GM"
    4) what is an index of 166?

ReputationRep:
    nah I saw them- but I the 3 friends I know of who are also veggie don't give a damn about GM either
    I think what spk was trying ti say is that you, and your 3 friends, are in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    I think what spk was trying ti say is that you, and your 3 friends, are in the minority.
    why? if the only vegetarians I know of around here don't care whether food is GM, what's to say that many others aren't the same. Also, what do you mean GM? Do you mean GM crops, or anything that has been bred?

ReputationRep:
    I am a vegitarian because I don't want animals to suffer on my account and having read about some of the ways that animals are treated and I don't want anything to do with the meat and fishing industry.
    Fair enough, thats acceptable, that is why I assume most vegetarians are vegetarians.

Now this is my choice and I am not condeming others for not makeing the same choice. However I have and probably will always like the taste of meat, quorn offers this without hurting animals. It helps me to stop the cravings for meat that I have and it also provides much needed protein in my diet.
    I disagree with your view that it provides protein. There are many alternatives to protein apart from in meat. Such as, soya, rice, pasta, tofu, beans, nuts, eggs, and peas, to name but a few. Meat is only but one.

Why do you have meat cravings? Surely the idea to become a vegetarian was to feel better about yourself and not wanting to take part in a process, where animals, are potentially hurt during slaughter? Then why crave for it, shouldn't the fact that you have not eaten the animal be enough to prevent cravings?

I don't see why this is hypocritical just because it tastes like an animals doesn't mean it is one and no animals are hurt so I don't see a problem.
    In your oppinion, yes.

ReputationRep:
    why? if the only vegetarians I know of around here don't care whether food is GM, what's to say that many others aren't the same. Also, what do you mean GM? Do you mean GM crops, or anything that has been bred?
    If you follow the link given above, I think it shows what spk is saying from a more official POV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    You don't know their motivations for being a vegetarian, so you're not in the position to decide if they're hypocritical.
    I'm in a position to judge their actions from how I see it. I think its hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a veggie but dont really like the taste of meat very much so dont eat it very often. However there are some recipes that you need a bulk product for. Like spagetti bolagnese (my spelling is terrible-i do apologise) so i find quorn is great for that and the Linda Mccartney sausages are to die for!
    I also understand meat cravings. Like i said i dont really enjoy meat but every now and then i crave a mixed grill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    the Linda Mccartney sausages are to die for!
    Oh, you've seen how they're made then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Oh, you've seen how they're made then...
    Dont tell me! They taste yummy and i dont want to know what is in them

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.