Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    It is, and it's the only bean that is a complete protein, hence used as a meat substitute.

I don't think eating Quorn makes you a hypocrite, i thnk drinking wine and beer and eating cheese made with rennet does.

You can spot the true veggie - they will eat beef flavour crips but not cheese and onion.
    Yes but bacteria have no real ability to think and so it doesn't really matter if bacteria die. If you cannot eat bacteria or otherwise harm it you couldn't live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    You can spot the true veggie - they will eat beef flavour crips but not cheese and onion.
    Yes one of my relatives eats chicken flavoured crisps yet he's a vegetarian. THing is there was some problem with crisps where the cheese and onion were not suitable for vegetarians but the meat flavoured ones were. No idea if it was Walkers or not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    YOu like the taste? how?
    I must be strange then, but I think Quorn has really nice taste and texture. Although I do go "ewwwwww, it's quorn, i'm not eating that" before I eat it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont give a damn what they eat as long as they dont force me to do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    The alternative to meat.

Is it me, or does anyone else think that people who eat Quorn are hypocrites?

For those who don't know, Quorn is a vegatarian alternative to meat (mince), it tastes, smells, and has the same texture as regular meat, but it is actually industrally made.

What annoys me, is loads of vegetarians eat Quorn quite readily because they want to eat meat, without actaully eating an animal. I think it's quite hypocritical given that these people have chosen to abstain from eating meat, yet are quite happy to eat its alternative.

Does anyone agree?
    Sorry, I don't agree. Quorn is extremely low in fat and high in protein. It's perfect for veggies and non-veggies, alike. I love the stuff (although I think my bathroom rug tastes more like meat).
    I really can't see how you find it hypocritical? Even if someone likes the taste of meat, but not the idea of eating animals, it hardly makes them a hypocrite to eat quorn or bacon crisps, or whatever, does it? What great contradiction are they making?
    They're simply saying: "No, I don't want to chomp on that dead cow, thank you - I'll just nibble on these bacon fries." Moral stances and tastebuds should not be confused, my friend!

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.