Am I being paid to much? Watch

Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am a third year medical student and have just received confirmation of my student finance entitlement, but I am worried I am being paid to much. I have heard in the past that when SFE make mistakes in overfunding people they expect you to pay them back (even if it was their mistake).

Bit of background my mum doesn't work (single parent) and hence I usually get the full grant and loan (I was a 2015/16 starter so I am on the old loan + grant system). In years 1&2 my combined loan and grant came to around £7500 but this year they have come to £9000. My grant is the same as both previous years but my loan is £1500 more.

I was wondering if this could be an overpayment and if so how do I sort this. I dont want to spend this money and then be in debt knowing I have to pay it back because of SFEs mistake.
Laura S SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Natalierm2707,

The only things that could affect your loan amount would be household income, your loan rate depending on where you are living (eg. in the parental home, elsewhere or studying in London) or you can get a long course loan that we apply automatically based on the length of your course which could increase your loan amount.

Household income wouldn't have affected the amount you were awarded based on your Mum's single status and income. It sounds as if previously you were getting the elsewhere rate of Maintenance Loan (ML) so if you have applied for this again as living away from the parental home and not changed where you are studying then this should be the same as well.

This would mean that the increased loan amount could be in relation to a Long Course Loan that we would award automatically when we means tested your application. If your course length is longer than 30 weeks and 3 days in length we would award this at a weekly rate of £83 based on residing away from the parental home for majority of the term (but not in London).

Do you know how long your course is? You can check this with the University if you are unsure. That may give clarification as to why you have been awarded more this year.

Thanks
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laura S SFE)
Hi Natalierm2707,

The only things that could affect your loan amount would be household income, your loan rate depending on where you are living (eg. in the parental home, elsewhere or studying in London) or you can get a long course loan that we apply automatically based on the length of your course which could increase your loan amount.

Household income wouldn't have affected the amount you were awarded based on your Mum's single status and income. It sounds as if previously you were getting the elsewhere rate of Maintenance Loan (ML) so if you have applied for this again as living away from the parental home and not changed where you are studying then this should be the same as well.

This would mean that the increased loan amount could be in relation to a Long Course Loan that we would award automatically when we means tested your application. If your course length is longer than 30 weeks and 3 days in length we would award this at a weekly rate of £83 based on residing away from the parental home for majority of the term (but not in London).

Do you know how long your course is? You can check this with the University if you are unsure. That may give clarification as to why you have been awarded more this year.

Thanks
Thank you for your reply.

In response my term for third year begins on September 4th 2017 and ends on July 27th 2018. This means excluding holidays my year is 47 weeks long, 17 weeks longer than 30. Adding this up for the extra weeks comes to an extra £1411 which is about right.

Im just worried I will be made to pay it back because im not entitled to the extra money.
Chris SFE
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Natalierm2707)
Thank you for your reply.

In response my term for third year begins on September 4th 2017 and ends on July 27th 2018. This means excluding holidays my year is 47 weeks long, 17 weeks longer than 30. Adding this up for the extra weeks comes to an extra £1411 which is about right.

Im just worried I will be made to pay it back because im not entitled to the extra money.
Hi Natalie,

The extra weeks on your course this year are likely to have an impact on the amount that you've been awarded due to the Long Course Loan (LCL) being added to your standard Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Are you able to confirm how much of this funding was awarded as Maintenance Loan and how much was awarded for Maintenance Grant and any other grants you may be entitled to?

Thanks
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris SFE)
Hi Natalie,

The extra weeks on your course this year are likely to have an impact on the amount that you've been awarded due to the Long Course Loan (LCL) being added to your standard Maintenance Loan entitlement.

Are you able to confirm how much of this funding was awarded as Maintenance Loan and how much was awarded for Maintenance Grant and any other grants you may be entitled to?

Thanks
I received £3482 in maintenance grant (very similar to last year) and £5562 in maintenance loan (around £1400 more than last year).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Chris SFE
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I received £3482 in maintenance grant (very similar to last year) and £5562 in maintenance loan (around £1400 more than last year).
Hi Natalie,

Could you finally please confirm if you have had any changes in your circumstances that may have contributed to your funding being increased? This could include a change in your household income or a change in where you will be living/studying.

Thanks
Mutmit287
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris SFE)
Hi Natalie,

Could you finally please confirm if you have had any changes in your circumstances that may have contributed to your funding being increased? This could include a change in your household income or a change in where you will be living/studying.

Thanks
No i have had no changes:
1) my mum didnt work last time i had SFE assessed either.
2) i live in the same house and study at the same university as before.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Chris SFE
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No i have had no changes:
1) my mum didnt work last time i had SFE assessed either.
2) i live in the same house and study at the same university as before.
Hi Natalie,

In that case it is likely that the LCL is the only thing that has led to the increase in your funding but the amount does seem a little bit high.

It's certainly possible that the assessment has been done correctly and there are no issues with the funding but it would be worthwhile to give us a call on 0300 100 0607 so an advisor can investigate this and give you the peace of mind that you're able to spend this money without worrying about an overpayment.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (159)
18.64%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (83)
9.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (142)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (122)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (82)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (265)
31.07%

Watched Threads