thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm sorry us GCSE students have been giving you guys no breaks from the 'Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge', and the pseudo-bragging. But I have a genuine question on EPQs.

It was never explained to us in our school, so was wondering how it's undertaken.

From what I'm aware, it shadows a Dissertation, and you write it on something you're interested in.

My question is as such:

Suppose you wrote an EPQ pertaining to say, Computer Science, does this mean if suddenly I had a change of heart and decided to apply for say...Aerospace Engineering, that this EPQ loses value? Or can I still show that I have say..an A* on it.

Thanks!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AryanGh)
I'm sorry us GCSE students have been giving you guys no breaks from the 'Are my grades good enough for Oxbridge', and the pseudo-bragging. But I have a genuine question on EPQs.

It was never explained to us in our school, so was wondering how it's undertaken.

From what I'm aware, it shadows a Dissertation, and you write it on something you're interested in.

My question is as such:

Suppose you wrote an EPQ pertaining to say, Computer Science, does this mean if suddenly I had a change of heart and decided to apply for say...Aerospace Engineering, that this EPQ loses value? Or can I still show that I have say..an A* on it.

Thanks!
The EPQ serves two purposes. Firstly, it's an opportunity for you to do a piece of research into a topic that really interests you at a level that goes beyond your A Level studies. Secondly, it's a project management qualification. If you did your EPQ on Computer Science but then decided to apply for an unrelated degree (although I don't really think Aerospace Engineering is completely unrelated) then the research itself might be of lesser value, but you've still shown that you're able to manage and carry out a big project successfully, which is definitely of value for university. So yes, it still has value.

I would personally recommend doing the EPQ in later rather than earlier (e.g. Year 13) if the option is available to you though, because it makes it more likely that you'll be able to apply it directly to your degree subject.
thotproduct
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The EPQ serves two purposes. Firstly, it's an opportunity for you to do a piece of research into a topic that really interests you at a level that goes beyond your A Level studies. Secondly, it's a project management qualification. If you did your EPQ on Computer Science but then decided to apply for an unrelated degree (although I don't really think Aerospace Engineering is completely unrelated) then the research itself might be of lesser value, but you've still shown that you're able to manage and carry out a big project successfully, which is definitely of value for university. So yes, it still has value.

I would personally recommend doing the EPQ in later rather than earlier (e.g. Year 13) if the option is available to you though, because it makes it more likely that you'll be able to apply it directly to your degree subject.
Thank you so much!

We were just told we just had to do it lol.
iamthestudent
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

My question is as such:

Thanks!
I too am starting year 12 this September but I think I can still offer you some valuable information about EPQs.

So with an EPQ, as you know, you can essentially write a dissertation
about your chosen subject. An EPQ is valuable for a university applicant because in interviews it can be a good talking point and thus I would suggest that you try and tailor your EPQ to link with what you want to study at university. Although, if you suddenly had a change of heart after you had completed the EPQ and wanted to study something else I hardly think that this will be detrimental to your uni application because you can still talk about how computer science is your passion and a hobby.
12KK
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah ikr..! Me included, every prospective year 12 has been like 'can I get into oxbridge with these grades?' 😂

I'm also doing my EPQ in September too, and this thread helped me..!
Courtney19
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

My question is as such:

Thanks!
The EPQ wouldn't lose all of its value. Although it's better to link your EPQ to your future aspirations to demonstrate commitment and dedication, there are still a lot of skills you gain from doing an EPQ. You can use it to demonstrate to universities that you have good research skills which are important in Higher Education. So no, it wouldn't lose all of its value, but it would be easier for you to talk about in your university application if you link it. Good luck!
thotproduct
Rep:
(Original post by 12KK)
Yeah ikr..! Me included, every prospective year 12 has been like 'can I get into oxbridge with these grades?' 😂

I'm also doing my EPQ in September too, and this thread helped me..!
They either have very obviously under average grades, like Bs and Cs. Or they have the grades but just seek gratification.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Didn't do an EPQ related title to my degree course at all (civil engineering and it was on astrobiology/physics lol), as plagioclase said its the experience and skills you gained from it. Normally in your personal statement you may talk about skills from academic activities which your EPQ will contribute to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads