Two full A levels in 1 year - doable? Watch

andosrowsk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

Newbie here. I am now what you would call a mature student (32) and am looking at a route into University to study a health sciences degree (haven't finalised which one yet, most likely Dietetics).

I'm looking at doing two A levels but would want to get them done as quickly as possible whilst still getting A/B grades to keep my options open for the best Universities.

Specifically, I'm thinking of studying Maths and Biology via distance learning and putting myself in as an external candidate somewhere. From research it seems that I'd want to have the practical endorsement for Biology, but Maths should be more straightforward, so it really boils down to workload.

Has anybody else here done two full science A levels in one year? What sort of time commitment do you think I'd be looking at each week? Could you have a part time job alongside it?

I got a B in Maths and an A* in Biology at GCSE - but this was 15 years ago now!!

Any advice appreciated.

rosemadder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you looked at Access courses? You get specific science and health ones that cover maths/biology etc. They are designed for mature students to give them access to university and are accepted by most universities instead of a levels (always check though) and are a year long (full time). I would recommend checking them out, I have seem both full time and part time options as well as distance learning versions.

I can't help with the A level question, I have never done a levels and opted for the access course myself, I just started this week One good thing about access is you get a learners loan for it, however if you go on to university the loan for the access course is written off (I am in Scotland, but I believe this is the same in England).
emmanoodle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with rosemadder above, Access courses are basically A-Levels & study skills all squished into 1 year if you do it full time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads