The Student Room Group

Accept or decline MSc course in Nuclear Science and Technology?

Hi there,

I'm in a difficult situation and I really need some advice. I have been offered a funded place on the "MSc Physics and Technology of Nuclear Reactors" (NTEC) course at the University of Manchester. This is the course website:

http://www.ntec.ac.uk/index.html

It's rare to get funding at masters level as most of you probably well know, but I don't know if I want to do the course, for a number of reasons.

1. I applied because I don't know what else to do. I gained a 1st in BSc physics and this MSc will give me a £5000 stripend.

2. There is only 8 weeks of teaching (there are 8 modules lasting one week each). I would spend a lot of time at home and each module is held at universities around the country so I would spend the rest of my time based in a hotel. I missed out on a social life in my undergrad and I feel this will happen again if I do this course. It is not a typical 180 credit full-time masters where you're in every week. I need to develop my interpersonal skills and work ethic.

3. I don't know if I necessarily want to work in the nuclear industry. I don't agree with nuclear power in principle and believe nuclear fusion is the future.

Reasons why I should do the course:

1. I am unemployed and don't know what else to do. All of my other masters offers will cost at least £10,000 and seem out of reach.

2. I will feel horrible if I turn down a masters course and then do nothing.

3. It may lead to a job. There is no guarentee but it increases my odds. I applied to graduate schemes in the nuclear industry last year but was rejected because I didn't have an MSc, which I found ridiculous.

4. I will have an MSc. Is this "better" than a BSc in the general jobs market? Could it help me get into other areas such as finance? I'm not so sure.

Thank you if you have read all of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending